• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 11 March 2018 - 05:36 PM

I have a fridge in the cab behind my seat. It is used for food. I also have a small RTIC cooler which is where beverages go. The cooler goes in the camper during transit and unless it is hot outside it stays outside when camping.

How do you power it? I figure I can run it  via DC outlet in the dashboard while driving, but that will not be adequate. I could also wire it to my house battery in the camper which is used only for lights[Fleet shell, no appliances]. 

#22 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 11 March 2018 - 08:34 PM

Well what say you and why? . . . 

12V fridge because ice cream.

I usually am way out back beyond for a week or more so an ice chest doesn't cut it.  Cream for my coffee, sandwich meats, cheese, mayo, bacon and some veggies don't keep well at higher temps.  And an ice cream sammich after a hot day of hiking is heaven.

And (at least with the ice chests I have used) probing around with an infrared temperature gun convinced me that ice chests do not keep food at the recommended safe temperature well.

Oh, and did I mention I can keep ice cream  :P

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#23 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:15 PM

We have a Dometic 65 Refrig/freezer combination in our Eagle Shell. For long trips like the 10 day trip we just took to Big Bend Ranch State Park, we set it up 1/3 freezer and 2/3 refrigerator. We then freeze a bunch of entrees, chicken, pork chops, steaks, burgers and ice cubes for cocktails plug it into 120 volts the day before and then we travel with the Dometic running on the alternator. Upon arrival, we change the setup to all refrigerator. I only have 80 watts of solar and have found the freezer and my C-Pap draw a little too much power. But with the refrigerator only and the frozen entrees, we easily went ten days. The entrees remain frozen for many days, in fact in the early part of the trip we had to thaw some meat. We should have left the first 3 days of food unfrozen.

We did run out of ice cubes by day 7, but by then there was plenty of room in the Dometic for the Bourbon. I have a second battery in the Eagle for the Dometic, C-Pap and Propex Forced Hot Air furnace. The AGM "house" battery charges with the solar panels and/or the alternator if needed.

As someone said early, I like not being dependent on ice. Also, we have found many uses for the Dometic not related to camping. We use it for groceries when we shop, so we don't have to worry about heading right home. Also, serves as an extra freezer or refrigerator when needed at home.

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#24 Hodakaguy

Hodakaguy

• Members
  • 641 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:19 PM

ARB Fridge! Super easy on power, will stay as cold as you want (Fridge or Freezer) and you never have to worry about getting ice, food getting soggy etc.

Hodakaguy

My 4wd Sprinter Build: CLICK HERE

My Unimog U1300L Build:  CLICK HERE

My VW Syncro Westy Build:  CLICK HERE

My Tacoma/FWC  Builds: CLICK HERE

Ride Report - In Memory Of The Crewmen: CLICK HERE

#25 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 12 March 2018 - 12:22 PM

Like most others, refrigerators take a lot of power.  We pretty much only use ours on LPG which is pretty efficient.  We do use the 120v option when pre-cooling though.  I left the 12V on once and over night, the house battery was dead.  

We do use our good cooler more and more though and put it behind the front seats in the truck; easier access and we don't have to lift it into the camper and out all the time.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#26 GroovyDad

GroovyDad

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:09 AM

If money's not a big concern, go with a large fridge and solar panels.  It's so much easier than an ice chest AND it gives you more floor space.  It's the route I plan to go one day, but for now, money is a consideration.

Currently, I'm using a higher end ice chest (Engel) and the ice will last for over 5 days and I'm never camped so remotely that I can't replenish my ice as needed.  Plus, my ice chest can be used for other, non-camping, events.

Here's a link to a 7 minute video on higher end ice chest comparisons.  It was this video that convinced me to go with Engel:  

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." —John Muir. http://aimlessroamer.blogspot.com/

#27 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 14 March 2018 - 02:58 AM

How do you power it? I figure I can run it  via DC outlet in the dashboard while driving, but that will not be adequate. I could also wire it to my house battery in the camper which is used only for lights[Fleet shell, no appliances]. 

I have two 12v outlets on the back of my center console that are hooked up to my 2nd battery. I chose not to have the 2nd battery and fridge in the camper since I can disconnect the camper and still have my fridge and all the power I need.

Edited by ETAV8R, 14 March 2018 - 02:59 AM.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#28 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:33 AM

If money's not a big concern, go with a large fridge and solar panels.  It's so much easier than an ice chest AND it gives you more floor space.  It's the route I plan to go one day, but for now, money is a consideration.

Currently, I'm using a higher end ice chest (Engel) and the ice will last for over 5 days and I'm never camped so remotely that I can't replenish my ice as needed.  Plus, my ice chest can be used for other, non-camping, events.

Here's a link to a 7 minute video on higher end ice chest comparisons.  It was this video that convinced me to go with Engel:  

Good information. Thanks for sharing!

I am haunted by waters

#29 DonC

DonC

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • LocationBiahop

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:50 AM

I have a Dometic in my 2012 Fleet with 200 w of solar.  In temps of 70 - low 80's, this works fine.  But on a 100 degree summer day, the fridge can not adequately cool to be safe for food, even while plugged-in sitting on my driveway.  

Don C

2012 FWC Fleet on a 2006 Tundra AC TRD 4 x 4

http://www.dchambersphotography.com/

#30 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 14 March 2018 - 03:43 PM

I have two 12v outlets on the back of my center console that are hooked up to my 2nd battery. I chose not to have the 2nd battery and fridge in the camper since I can disconnect the camper and still have my fridge and all the power I need.

What is your typical usage in terms of how many days you can keep it running? Most everyone seems to claim that solar is needed, but I was thinking that  with a second battery and since I run the truck everyday for at least an hour I can get by without solar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users