#1 Rafter C

Rafter C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley, CA

Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:29 PM

So this is probably a "johnny come lately" thread since I've owned my camper for over a year, but I'm starting to really get going on building it the way I want it, so I figure I'll get everything documented from the git go...

I bought my 2011 in November of 2016 from the original owner who had used it a couple of handfuls of times to go hunting. It was in perfect shape (minus the lingering scent of whatever aftershave he used), a relatively short distance from my home, and the seller was hard-nosed enough on his price (with the requirement of cash only), and “contactibility” was challenging enough, that it sat on CL for quite some time before I found it and arranged to buy it. 

It’s a basic Cougar model with all the usual amenities (3 way fridge, sink & water tank, stove, furnace, 8' awning), and the basic couch and bed set up. It seemed to me at the time that I was paying a little too much for it, but I’ve since learned that the rarity of a used ATC unit, especially one in immaculate shape, commands a premium, and I’ve since reconciled the price as a good deal. Basically, I got an “in new condition” unit for about $3k less than buying a new one, and having to wait for construction. The only downfall of that was my inability to customize during construction. But that can be worked around…

One fortunate thing about the camper’s location when it was for sale (Antioch, CA), and where I live (Grass Valley, CA), is that the ATC factory was about half way in between, and right on the way. So after buying it and attaching it to my factory bed tie downs for the ride home, I was able to stop by and see “the guys” at ATC, and get the new owner intro to the camper from Marty. And while there, I bought a battery isolator and the proper bed eye bolts to mount it correctly. And then Marty offered me (free to a good home) a barely used Interstate AGM battery to replace the still in place original Optima blue top. It was really a great first experience interacting with them, and has been followed by several more since.

I’m going to post the progress I’ve already made, and that going forward in a series of posts over the coming days so I can chronologically document my work, and so I can take my time and include plenty of pics with each post, so hopefully it’ll be of some interest to the group, and any feedback will be appreciated. The first pics are the day we brought it home. I think we've got a pretty nice looking rig to start this journey.

More to follow…..

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4064.jpg
  • IMG_4065.JPG
  • IMG_4066.JPG

Edited by wcorbett, 14 January 2018 - 06:49 PM.

'08 Dodge 3500, '11 ATC Cougar

Build Thread: http://www.wanderthe...r-build-thread/

Blog: https://raftercexplo...s.wordpress.com

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:37 PM

Looks and sounds like a great camper, congrats! I look forward to seeing your mods.

I am haunted by waters

#3 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 14 January 2018 - 04:59 PM

Agree- nice looking rig! The ATC guys are great.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#4 Rafter C

Rafter C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:35 PM

So after getting the camper home, I took it off the truck pretty much immediately to address the need for properly mounting it, getting the truck wired to charge the camper battery, and go to work “outfitting” it to meet ours needs/wants etc…

​     The eye bolts were a no brainer to mount. A drill, four holes, some bridge washers for backing strength, and done.

I’m lucky that my factory vehicle electrical system is quite substantial, using dual Odyssey 1000 CCA AGM batteries, and a 120 amp alternator, so I have no concerns about its ability to keep the camper batt up to snuff. I ran dual (hot and ground) 10 gauge wires from the passenger side battery on the truck back to the camper plug mounted to the “stake pocket well” at the front of the pickup bed, with the hot lead holding an inline 40 amp fuse back near the battery. I know there are lots of folks out there who have ideas/opinions/theories about what is adequate electrically for these units, but coming from the K.I.S.S. point of view, I’m confident this set up will work fine for me.

The next question for us was “what do we want to take with us?”. Our most recent camping iteration was using the same pickup (’08 Dodge 3500 4WD) with a SnugTop camper shell, and a “sleeping platform/gear storage box in the bed of the truck. I built the platform here at home using plywood, and configured it with compartments for most of our camping gear, kitchen items, Easy Up, etc, and then we’d put a couple of Action Packers, an ice chest, and milk crates for firewood on top of for traveling during the day. At night those would come out, we’d roll out a 2” sleeping pad and bags, and we were good to go for the night. It worked great. 

So, upgrading to a pop up camper was quite a luxury, but our pragmatic approach to camping still remains. Originally, I envisioned a shell model like many folks here have built, but when opportunity knocks, you have to open the door, and that CL ad changed our plans. For the better I believe….

As most of you know, the basic Cougar camper configuration offers a lot of storage. And having it ride in a 1 ton truck with a Cummins engine allows the ability to haul it and pretty much whatever I want to put in it with no trouble. However, as a relative minimalist, and being a fan of spending more time outside the camper than in when camping, the equipment hauled is focused around that mentality. 

Under the couch seat I have a PETT toilet, a privacy shelter for it, a Cabelas camp kitchen, an ice chest stand, a Zodi shower kit, a roll out table, and miscellaneous other items relative to setting up a nice outside camp when we decide to stay somewhere a while. But whats nice about it being stored under the couch is that when we are on the move, and only want to sleep and have some coffee in the morning, everything is out of the way.

On the floor of the camper, I have an Action Packer that I also haul on my Jeep full of miscellaneous camping items (folding shovel, lantern hooks, lantern fuel, tent stakes, folding water buckets, etc.), a 5 gallon water jug, and a second Action Packer we use to store whatever dry goods we want to take with us for each trip. These 3 things are kept in place with a 2” piece of webbing with quick clip buckles at each end attached to a couple of footman loops screwed to the camper body. Barring jumping the truck (yeah right), this works great, and still allows room on the floor to move in and out of the camper while on the road. We then slid a milk crate of firewood and a small cooler in next to those items on our first trip, but that has since changed.

I've since discovered a Coleman cooler that, once I cut off it's handles, fit perfectly in the "dead space" between the sink/stove/water tank space and the front wall of the camper. I made a new handle out of some webbing, and then held it in place with more webbing and more footman loops screwed into the camper wall. Its primary use is for beer. Which in the volume that I like to carry on a trip would quickly overwhelm my fridge space. 

In the battery compartment are: the battery (duh), the battery separator, a 110V battery “smart” trickle charger for when the camper is stored in my shop, and some gold pans (you never know when you might find that one big nugget!)

In the compartment next to that, are an extra down sleeping bag (for extra cold nights!), some pillows, some towels and similar items. Basically soft goods….

We discovered that some simple plastic containers from Target fit perfectly in the shelf compartment with the sliding doors. Three of them fit end to end with some room to spare. In one we have kitchen utensil stuff, in another are our toiletries, and the third has dish soap, etc. Under the sink we keep a couple skillets, a backpacking set of pots, coffee pot and another plastic container for paper plates, bowls and plastic silverware. Oh…. and a bottle of Bulleit bourbon (for the really, really cold nights!)

Finally, in the rear compartment at the foot of the couch, we keep a Coleman lantern, a 12V bug zapper, and broom and dust pan.

Pretty basic stuff really, and not too exciting from a reading point of view, but just enough to keep us comfortable in the various camping scenarios we have found ourselves in in the past, and that we anticipate we will encounter in the future. 

Oh….. and each compartment has at least one AAA powered LED “puck” lights. Thought about hard wiring LED lights, with a single switch, and be all trick, but then I slapped myself back into the K.I.S.S. mode, and went with the quick solution.

Next up, outdoor lighting…..

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5699.JPG
  • IMG_5700.JPG
  • IMG_5701.JPG
  • IMG_5702.JPG
  • IMG_5712.JPG
  • IMG_5698.JPG

Edited by wcorbett, 14 January 2018 - 06:37 PM.

#5 Rafter C

Rafter C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:40 PM

A few more pics showing camper storage.....

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5713.jpg
  • IMG_5714.jpg
  • IMG_5715.jpg
  • IMG_5718.jpg
  • IMG_5719.jpg
  • IMG_5717.JPG

Edited by wcorbett, 14 January 2018 - 07:09 PM.

#6 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:55 PM

Cutting off the handle was a great solution. It fits like a glove.
Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:13 PM

Thanks for posting your "building"of the Cougar.

Great camper to start with.It seems like when you visit Marty to have tings gone or talk you

always leave with something thrown in free.Great group to work with.

Only wish I lived a bit closer to them.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:18 AM

Hello wcorbett
I must say nice looking camper you got there. We've had ours a year now and just starting to get sorted out. Kinda nice being able to make it what you want right! Are you storing the table, and pole behind the bench back? I think where you have the cabinet we have a porta potti.
Inside the door on the right between end of bench and rear wall.
I also just changed out the strap with a snap to Velcro to hold the curtains open, and some reflectix insulation under the mattress which is over the cab. Couldn't really say if it made a huge difference, but I think it helps.
Not that I'm bias but like the Cougar camper. :)

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:56 AM

Congrats on your new to you camper and thanks for documenting your work and organization to benefit others. Best wishes for happy adventures.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#10 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:56 AM

Congrats and welcome. Thanks for sharing and posting pictures. Looks like you have a great set-up. I may have missed something on your wiring
I seem to remember FWC installing some kind of isolator near the truck battery, or some small box. Did you do that. I'm no electric wizz. jd

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users