54 replies to this topic

#11 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:59 PM

When you think about what the Inuit and other indigenous people accomplished with skin on frame boats, it tends to make you stop and reassess how capable these boats can be. They certainly ain’t flimsy death traps. I’ve often thought about building another canoe, but a tripping boat in the method takeiteasy has built.

I am haunted by waters

#12 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:57 PM

When you think about what the Inuit and other indigenous people accomplished with skin on frame boats, it tends to make you stop and reassess how capable these boats can be. They certainly ain’t flimsy death traps. I’ve often thought about building another canoe, but a tripping boat in the method takeiteasy has built.

Yeah, both the Inuit skin and lake country birchbark canoes are very capable boats and I'd take the nylon skin any day. We borrow the lashed frame technology from the native designs. We build some 17' canoes- we call them "wilderness travelers," based on the Atkinson Traveler design. They have been very reliable on the BWCA trips that the apprentices take at the end of their apprenticeship. So much easier to portage a 35# canoe!

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#13 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:08 PM

My big Lincoln 18' is a take off from the Tim Stewart Indian Girl 16 design.   The blasted thing weighs in at just over 80 pounds.   It was fine when I was 30, but add 40 years... not so fine. My super glass Lincoln 17' 5" is 65 pound and still doable (maybe), but I would sure like something a lot lighter.

I am haunted by waters

#14 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:18 PM

You've got lots of boats!

I agree, the boats are getting heavier as I get older. I actually love the small kayaks we build- 24 pounds with the floor boards and seat back. Not good for tripping though- no room for cargo.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

#15 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:12 AM

You've got lots of boats!

<snip>

When The Bride and I tied the knot, we suddenly had a family with four little ones, each bringing two to the union.   At first we started out with all four in the big 18 footer, then added the Downriver boat as the kids got bigger.   I have serious 'packrat' disease, so we still have them both, plus a plethora of other watercraft that we've collected along the way.   

It's been a fun journey, but I wish they were all lighter.  :)

I am haunted by waters

#16 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:49 AM

For anyone interested in traditional skin on frame kayaks or canoes living near or coming through Portland, Oregon, you need to check out the Lincoln Street Kayak and Canoe Museum on the SE side of Portland.  

http://www.tradition...com/museum.html

The Lincoln Street Kayak and Canoe Museum (LSKCM) is dedicated to presenting a diverse variety of indigenous small watercraft forms in a contextual and educational setting. Each form represented here reflects centuries or millennia of development influenced by cultural tradition, environment, external pressures, resources, function, practicality, and aesthetics. Despite their broad variation in shape, construction and use, each vessel is a proven design that served the designer/builder/user's needs, aiding them successfully in hunting, fishing, migrating, trading, and for general navigation. Perhaps no single object created by genus Homo better represents our ancestors' ingenuity, survival instinct, and desire for exploration than the canoe. Today, the canoe remains a powerful symbol and metaphor for individualism and adventure and is among the few objects aiding human transportation that is still created by hand in a non-mass-production context. 

The bulk of the LSKCM's watercraft collection is made of full-sized functional replicas of traditional Arctic hunting kayaks. Harvey Golden built these replicas in order to compliment his museum studies with an element of experimental research. These vessels are the largest and most complete assembly of pan-arctic kayak forms in the world. Many of the kayaks in the LSKCM can be seen under-construction and in-action at Traditional Kayaks.com.

While I don't have an ultralight solo canoe.  About 12 years ago I picked up a 17.5' Souris River Kevlar Canoe that comes in around 45 lbs.  Not bad for 17.5'.  After years of lifting a wood/canvas canoe onto the roof of my FWC, our backs started to rebel, so we sold some other toys to get the Souris River Canoe.  It's made in Canada near Boundary Waters.  Great paddling canoe.  Photo here shows it loaded up for camping and room for a Golden Retriever.

Attached Thumbnails

• P9030017.JPG

Edited by TGK, 24 January 2018 - 03:51 AM.

#17 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:13 AM

attachicon.gifP9030017.JPGattachicon.gifP9030017.JPGFor anyone interested in traditional skin on frame kayaks or canoes living near or coming through Portland, Oregon, you need to check out the Lincoln Street Kayak and Canoe Museum on the SE side of Portland.  

That looks like an interesting collection of boats- quite a body of work to reproduce all those different designs. I would like to visit one day. We have relatives in Oregon so it might happen! Thanks for posting the link.

Looks like you put your Souris to use! We also paddled with a Golden Retriever- actually, 3 different Goldens over the years. Good times!

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

#18 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:17 AM

Per the Traditional Kayaks website, official hours are only 2hrs every Thursday. While total speculation on my part, if someone was coming in from out of town, one could contact the owner to see if an appointment could be set up for a visit.

#19 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:20 AM

That’s quite a load in the canoe! Quite an interesting museum as well, I had no idea it was here! Thanks for sharing!

I am haunted by waters

#20 TGK

TGK

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:38 AM

Yep, it was quite a load, but not quite as bad as it looks. Photo was taken a few years back at Waldo Lake and the paddle was only about 2.75 miles over to the west side of the lake to a dispersed camp site. The two 5 gallon water jugs were empty and the river bag only had a light sleeping bag and clothing. Used a gravity fed water purifier to filter lake water for consumption. However, given that we also had an 80 qt cooler, we weren't exactly roughing it. Certainly not how one would pack for a long canoe circuit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users