31 replies to this topic

#21 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 26 February 2019 - 04:31 PM

L couch storage and fold out bed.

Nice build!! I'm thinking of buying a Panther Shell model to replace my Hawk. I like the L couch arrangement. Where did you have the seat cushions made. Also, the struts holding up the cabinet tops are cool. Where did you find them and how long are they?

Thanks!

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#22 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,959 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 26 February 2019 - 06:59 PM

Some really clever ideas here.  I squeezed my Propex in super tight as well.  Love that about these heaters!

#23 5outta6

5outta6

• Members
  • 116 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 03 May 2019 - 02:14 PM

Picked this new girl up about 2 months ago from ATC. I finally got her all together and looking good. I'll put some more photos up on the build and put a few how tos together once I get back from camping!
attachicon.gifRenderedContent-3B6073A5-FFB3-466F-96BD-86B6806665EB.JPGattachicon.gifRenderedContent-939E8654-D97D-40B1-BA8A-175F8731E621.JPGattachicon.gifRenderedContent-8D0E72EC-8D20-4957-A4D0-FCF24AC676DC.JPGattachicon.gifRenderedContent-C3269D15-F0D2-4FD7-9A3D-89D16487789C.JPG

How long does ice last in your cooler?  what brand is it?  tnx

Ford F150 super crew, ATC Ocelot shell, Icom 706MKIIG,  AC6GD

#24 jasona

jasona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe

Posted 11 May 2019 - 11:53 PM

It’s an Rtic 20 cooler, a nice block of ice last about 5 days, cubes 3 temperature depending. The reason I went with this cooler is because of the larger size drain plug on the left side. I added a oil drain valve using some epoxy to seal it off. It’s pretty nice to not have to remove the cooler to drain it.

Attached Thumbnails

• CBCF4769-C082-44C6-BE04-0D6F8BD61303.jpeg
  • 31CB05AE-840D-47CD-80FD-5C6AD9216D4F.jpeg
  • 37B87787-8654-4679-AC5F-BF93DCB07A14.jpeg
  • EE06D28B-63B7-43BD-A71C-3DC64D8839A2.jpeg

#25 jasona

jasona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe

Posted 12 May 2019 - 12:22 AM

Nice build!! I'm thinking of buying a Panther Shell model to replace my Hawk. I like the L couch arrangement. Where did you have the seat cushions made. Also, the struts holding up the cabinet tops are cool. Where did you find them and how long are they?

Thanks!

Kinda a funny story. I originally brought my cushions to an upholstery shop in Reno and they butchered them. When I picked them up and asked what happened the guy said he didn’t have enough time to do them and did a crappy job. He gave me my money back and let me choose whatever fabric I wanted. I went with this vinyl That is imitation leather. When you buy a truck with leather seats often times the back seat is actually high quality vinyl that matches the front. The stuff is amazing cleans up great and looks like new after 160 plus days of use in the camper. I wouldn’t use anything else. I ultimately had a friend of my girlfriend cover the cushions. Her name is Deb in Tahoe City she usually does custom boat covers but made an exception. If I was to do it again I would only have the wedge professionally done and wrap the others like a Christmas present and staple them to 1/8 press board with 1.5” holes in the board to let air escape. I did it in my last camper and they looked amazing and saved me 300 hundred bucks.

The struts I found on amazon. I didn’t do any math equation just rolled the dice and they worked out. Apexstone 100N/22.5lb Gas Strut,Gas Spring,Lid Support,Lift Support,Lid Stay,Gas Props/Shocks,Set of 4

Edited by jasona, 24 May 2019 - 04:26 PM.

#26 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 12 May 2019 - 03:31 PM

Kinda a funny story. I originally brought my cushions to an upholstery shop in Reno and they butcher them. When I picked them up and asked what happened the guy said he didn’t have enough time to do them and did a crappy job. He gave me my money back and let me choose whatever fabric I wanted. I went with this vinyl That is imitation leather. When you buy a truck with leather seats often times the back seat is acually high quality vinyl that matches the front. The stuff is amazing cleans up great and looks like new after 160 plus days of use in the camper. I wouldn’t use anything else. I ultimate had a friend of my girlfriend cover the cushions. Her name is Deb in Tahoe City she usually does custom boat covers but made an exception. If I was to do it again I would only have the wedge professionally done and wrap the others like a Christmas present and staple them to 1/8 press board with 1.5” holes in the board to let air escape. I did it in my last camper and they looked amazing and saved me 300 hundred bucks.

The struts I found on amazon. I didn’t do any math equation just rolled the dice and they worked out. Apexstone 100N/22.5lb Gas Strut,Gas Spring,Lid Support,Lift Support,Lid Stay,Gas Props/Shocks,Set of 4

Thanks for the info- I ended up ordering an ATC Panther shell and I've been collecting ideas for my build. On my prior FWC I converted the rollover couch to side dinette and a local detail shop modified the cushions for me. I'll be using my new shell a few times to get a feel for how I'll want to build cabinets and seating. The upholstery part will the biggest challenge. 

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#27 whambat

whambat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 11:25 PM

Really cool build. I just put a deposit down on a Panther shell, getting in August, and I'd love to get some ideas on what I should be planning on upgrading. I ordered a furnace and a couch with the thought I can have a bench on the driver side, add a Lagun table (trying to figure out where to mount, either under the driver bench or up front under the window) to make a large dinette. I really like your couch setup though. 

#28 larryqp

larryqp

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • LocationFull-time RVer, anywhere USA

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:46 PM

We have a Eagle shell which was completely bare except for the over wheel well storage boxes and the two small cabinets.

Inside

Over the last 3 years I've added a propex furnace, 2- 100 ampHr AGM batteries, 175 watts of solar, yakima rails and racks, a Dometic compressor refrigerator/freezer, some counter space, a one burner stove, CleanWaste Go anywhere toilet and various 12 volt outlets and USB ports. I consciously did not add a sink or dinette or table. We use folding cloth boxes from the container store for clothes, as and our "kitchen box". Food, misc stuff etc goes in the cabinets I built. 

Outside

We have a swing away tailgate with a fold down table, which also carries a ten pound propane tank and 5 gallon water can, so I cook on the fold down table and we eat on either the picnic table or our TireTable using two 3 legged folding chairs. The Batwing awning covers our cooking and eating area. We have a battery operated portable sink to do dishes outside. If severe weather or bugs force us to cook inside we always carry simple one pot meals and use the burner, then eat off our laps, using the refrigerator as a seat and one of the 3 legged chairs.

It seems like lots of folks get a shell and then add a dinette or the Lagun table. I'm curious to know how much people use the dinette or Lagun table. We have toyed with the idea of a Lagun table many times, but always come back to, why would we be inside, when we can do everything outside. We do sometimes bring a small screen house for bugs, but rarely use it. 

Anyway, since newbie is looking for some ideas I thought a discussion of "indoor camping" might be helpful..

2016 F150, FX4, XLT super cab

2019 FWC Hawk Shell

2009 Ford Ranger 4x4, XLT, Supercab total loss on 7/30/19

2014 FWC Shell total loss on 7/30/19

Towed behind our home which is a 2005 Kountry Star Diesel Pusher

#29 jasona

jasona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:38 AM

Really cool build. I just put a deposit down on a Panther shell, getting in August, and I'd love to get some ideas on what I should be planning on upgrading. I ordered a furnace and a couch with the thought I can have a bench on the driver side, add a Lagun table (trying to figure out where to mount, either under the driver bench or up front under the window) to make a large dinette. I really like your couch setup though.

Congrats on the Panther.  This is my second camper build out.  I learned a lot from my first build and have made a few improvements to this one.  If you are planning on adding storage, smaller compartments with a specific place for everything will make your small space so much more efficient.  I learned this on my second build and it has made a world of difference.  I also added a 160watt solar panel to this camper and it's a must have.  I would recommend having ATC install yakima tracks for the ease of install of a solar panel at a later date.  If you are headed east back on I80 from the ATC shop and want to take a look at my camper for some idea I live in North Lake Tahoe 15 min off the highway.

#30 jasona

jasona

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:44 AM

Some really clever ideas here.  I squeezed my Propex in super tight as well.  Love that about these heaters

The Propex has been good to me.  Kept the girlfriend and I nice and warm on some frigid nights.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users