• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 25 January 2018 - 06:35 PM

This is a fascinating read for anyone who has an interest in conservation and attitudes toward conservation and land use from residents of the Mountain West:

https://www.colorado...resentation.pdf

It puts some of the current land use controversies into context. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#2 clikrf8

clikrf8

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • LocationBellingham, WA

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:27 PM

Fascinating. Thanks for the link. And, I wonder why the change? Millennials, Baby Boomers retiring? Or, just that our lives are so hectic that we crave a respite in the arms of Mother Nature?
2008 Ford F250 diesel 4x4 off road pkg 2013 Hallmark Ute http://www.clikrf8images.com/ http://clikrf8.wordp...com/2010/09/01/

#3 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 25 January 2018 - 08:29 PM

Very interesting. But our present leaders only read things that they agree with and the only color they see is green-as in money. All we can do is vote and attend those meetings!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 25 January 2018 - 09:13 PM

Very interesting... to be truthful, some opinions and beliefs I didn’t expect.

I am haunted by waters

#5 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:47 AM

Wow that seems like a positive sign in some ways. Being an ole maths teacher I wonder at the statistical sample size and if there is a way to evaluate the margin of error. I mean ..... the pollsters have been wrong in a pretty big way around a year ago. :-) 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#6 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 26 January 2018 - 05:28 PM

Buckland,

It's not that the pollsters were wrong, but the interpretation of the polls by the press was deeply flawed. The polls were within their margin of error for nearly every state (possibly every state). The press considered each state's outcome as an independent event and made their predictions based on this erroneous assumption. States with similar demographics are swayed by similar information. Their outcomes aren't independent events. Nate Silver from FiveThirtyEight.com wrote the definitive piece on this shortly after last year's election.

Alan

#7 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 26 January 2018 - 06:29 PM

Statistics is complex. I went back in search for Silver’s piece but as of yet not found it. Will eventually find it. And thanks for the steer Alan.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#8 alano

alano

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley

Posted 26 January 2018 - 11:43 PM

He actually wrote a series of articles, but here is the first one:  http://fivethirtyeig...-story-of-2016/

Not to hijack the thread or anything... :D

Alan

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 27 January 2018 - 12:18 AM

I found the article on the poll interesting and very much enjoyed the photo of the waterfall in the Cirque of Towers. We love that place, like so so many other places on our public lands.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#10 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 28 January 2018 - 12:23 AM

Speaking of Public Lands!!!---I'm depressed today.  Today started  fine-sun was out, not snowing so I decided to go out, open up  and clean out the pop-up since they also say the weather is supposed to warm up (is winter gone?), so figured I'd get the rig ready for a run some where. I still have that little leak in the corner of the ceiling that leaks when the weather turns from rain, to snow then freezes-no sweat, easy to fix, just plug in the shore power and turn on the space heater,dry things out then put some goop in the leak. Anyway, while I was doing the clean up, I was walking back and forth to the washer and dryer in the house and by the tv. As it turned out, two of my favorite programs came on PBS (this is where I connect to this thread), Wild Nevada and Outdoor Nevada.

As I'm walking by one time , I noticed that Wild Nevada was touring "the Basin And Range National Monument. Never been there (although me and a good friend keep talking about going)so I started to watch it. Interesting place, awhile back I did a rare post on Face book about protecting it! Just before the segment was about to end the BLM host brings everyone up to a high ridge where you can see why they made it a NM-spectacular 360 view shed!! And he says that is what is so great about this place is that you can see what Nevada is all about (several different geological formations) and you know one will ever build condos out here. All present uses are protected and mining areas and the such are left out. Even saw cows grazing in the distance.

So here is why I am depressed-Basin and Range is on the Zingster's hit list and it so happens he has just been in LV, meeting with A bunch of hunting organizations about opening up more public land to more hunting. I own guns, don't hunt anymore, if you want to hunt fine, but thought that the state usually controls hunting seasons and the feds worry about the land itself (maybe open up Yosemite to hunting?).  While he was in LV last week, he (as he did in Utah) he refused to meet with those that were in favor of the NM (or visit it).  What are we supposed to do now? They only read things they agree with or never meet with those that disagree with them.  Let's hope the courts stop this stuff soon because I along with allot of you are getting tired of this rule by the few or the rich. Enough of this, I need to figure out how to stop them from drilling off our coasts or destroying that other new NM that sits between California and Oregon. So many things to do and see and soooo  little time :D ! Sorry-needed to vent!! Time to go WTWing!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 28 January 2018 - 12:24 AM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users