29 replies to this topic

#1 Sourdough Jack

Sourdough Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationWestern US

Posted 27 January 2018 - 03:08 AM

Where is the best place to mount a camera to replace the stock tailgate cam on a Tundra? Mounting on the license plate provides little if any depth perception and the license plate lights blind it. Middle of the Hawk's door seems like the best spot but requires the wires to flex - not sure if that is a problem. Ideas?

#2 Lobster

Lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara .

Posted 27 January 2018 - 03:54 AM

Jack, just above the license plate in the body of the truck there are 2 holes about 12” apart that accept an 8mm threaded bolt.
I took a piece of aluminum flat bar, drilled holes to match and can install the camera in 5 minutes. There’s a hole in the body
about 1” x 2” to run the wiring through. Every other spot I tried to mount seemed to invite kicking the camera or exposing long lengths of wire.

#3 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 27 January 2018 - 12:56 PM

I placed about where Lobster1 did also but on my Superduty... works fine except when towing ;)

#4 Sourdough Jack

Sourdough Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationWestern US

Posted 27 January 2018 - 09:23 PM

Jack, just above the license plate in the body of the truck there are 2 holes about 12” apart that accept an 8mm threaded bolt.
I took a piece of aluminum flat bar, drilled holes to match and can install the camera in 5 minutes. There’s a hole in the body
about 1” x 2” to run the wiring through. Every other spot I tried to mount seemed to invite kicking the camera or exposing long lengths of wire.

Lobster- That is exactly how I have the camera mounted now. It gets blinded by the license plate lights and doesn't provide the depth perception I need/want for backing into a trailer hitch. I'd like to get it up higher, but no place jumps out as a reasonable spot.

#5 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMoab

Posted 28 January 2018 - 03:22 AM

http://www.wanderthe...p-cam/?p=186109

-Kirk Out

#6 cuervo

cuervo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 28 January 2018 - 05:50 AM

Logical maneuver Captain.

:)

Edited by cuervo, 28 January 2018 - 05:56 AM.

2017 Swift on a 2017 Tacoma

#7 So Cal Adventurer

So Cal Adventurer

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 01:49 PM

Hey Jack

I bought this setup, but from a different vendor for only $150, cant find link now

Super easy plug and play install and works perfectly:

www.camera-source.com and search for your model towards the bottom

Follow My Shenanigans: instagram.com/campermccampface

#8 abqbw

abqbw

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:03 PM

I have the camera source plug n play camera for my Tundra. I didn't want the camera at the license plate because of glare from the backup lights and fear of kicking it getting in and out. I used velcro adhesive and attached it to the right of the door (when facing the back of the camper) up about 2 feet. I stuck Velcro on the camera plus I place a loose strip over the camera mounting plate to hold it more securely. I use a few additional strips to the wire down. When I take the camper on and off it takes only a few minutes to remove the camera from the camper and truck and reconnect the factory tailgate camera.

#9 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 12:24 AM

I  have the camera source one as well. Have it temporarily mounted to the license plate with their bracket and didn't really notice any real issues. I kind of thought the camera seemed to be better than the oem one.  I will be moving it to the Hitchgate here pretty soon though.

#10 Sourdough Jack

Sourdough Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationWestern US

Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:24 AM

Thanks for all the great ideas. I have the camera source cam and will try the Velcro trick (abqbw).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users