• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#11 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:20 PM

I'm really more of a CPR fisherman myself...or just CAR. I don't plan my trips to the Sierras without food for every meal so catching my dinner isn't really the object though anyway. However I must admit upon rare occasions when a particularly big trout presents himself to my bait/lure I have succumbed to making it my dinner. I always carry a fresh lime (for the Cuba Libre!) and a fresh lemon (maybe for the trout) as well as a small array of spices, etc. that will allow me to prepare one for dinner if the opportunity arises.

Swear to God...the biggest trout i ever caught was not from the shoreline or trolling deeper down from my aluminum boat...nope, one time I had trouble restarting the motor so I used the Armstrong Method (oars) to get back across the lake. I left my Salmon eggs on a hook trailing the boat about 25 feet and as I was rowing like crazy my wife said my rod/reel was bouncing like crazy and line was peeling off of the reel...I grabbed the rod and played that fish for awhile before securing him alongside the boat. The fact that he was a big one changed my mind that afternoon and we had Mr. Trout as a kind of sundown appetizer with fresh lemon juice drizzled on it and a nice crisp Pinot Grigio.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#12 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:30 AM

PackRat, what do you call a "big" trout in this case?  As my knees age, I am thinking I might take up fishing to keep enjoying the outdoors!

#13 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 28 February 2018 - 10:46 PM

Now Vic....you know ANY "fish story" tends to grow with age, right? Longer, fatter...harder fighter....whatever.

I guess "fish stories" give us the opportunity to brag about it being "THIS BIG" but I have a photo somewhere of Mr. Trout on a plastic cutting board that is possibly 15" long so I guess I gotta fess up to that one being just that length since they don't shrink between the lake and the cleaning/gutting as far as I know. I'm trying to recall if the cutting board was 15" or 16" or something like 18" and I can't remember so I'm going with 15" which is what I think a couple we nowadays have measured out as.

Attached Files

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#14 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:30 AM

Before long you guys will be saying that you stand out in the lake on step ladders to do your fishing in order to get above these large trout or some such. Sheesh. ;)

Paul

http://pyramidlakegu...ladder-fishing/

Edited by PaulT, 01 March 2018 - 05:49 AM.

I thought getting old would take longer.

#15 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 01 March 2018 - 05:10 AM

Good info PackRat.  I've seen fish that big, so now I know what others consider big enough to eat.  Thanks for not exagerating, toooo much!

#16 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 01 March 2018 - 07:26 AM

Legal size is big enough to eat. Many fish aren't as good eatin' when they get trophy sized. Old and tougher. All depends on species.

Spring must be approaching. The talk has turned to fishing! :)

Edited by Squatch, 01 March 2018 - 07:28 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users