38 replies to this topic

#1 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:57 PM

In the past week, I've entered Stage 2 for a planned September "Fly-n-drive" trip to Montana.  Stage 1 (daydreaming when I'm supposed to be working) took place during lunch at my desk and a few minutes in between client appointments over the first week of this month.  

So, being old school to the core, Stage 2 began with an order of updated Montana atlases from DeLorme and Benchmark. The former replaced a 1999 edition and the latter a 2008 release. Both new atlases are 2017 editions.

I had been "down" on DeLorme for some time but the new 2017 edition is a big improvement over the much older one.  Even though the contour interval bumped up from 200' to 500' in the mountains and from 100' to 200' in the plains, the depiction of topography is far better due to the sharpness of the print, a slight but much-needed darkening of the contour lines, and due to the addition of shaded-relief emphasis in the plains. At this early stage of the game, my gut reaction is that the DeLorme has risen to a close equivalent to the Benchmark, though I still slightly prefer Benchmark.

For its part, the new Benchmark is very sharply printed with shaded relief for the whole state which really "pops".  I'm actually wondering if the shading and colors will fade to a material extent as it ages.  Hope not, as it's really a great-looking tool.

So the principal reason for this is to suggest the DeLormes and Benchmarks for "big-picture" route planning.  It really looks like the two outfits are competing now and their products are of very high quality.

Oh, and the trip:  September will mark 40 years of marriage.  Our honeymoon was a week of backpacking in Colorado's Rocky Mountain National Park with car-camping out of a 1977 Honda Civic, in our 2 man backpacking tent, enroute to RMNP from and back to Charlottesville, VA. With only a week's absence planned for this one, and with the fondness we have developed for southwestern Montana over the 38 years since we first vacationed there as young childless 20-somethings in 1980 (another epic car-camping road trip from central Mississippi to Missoula and back), we're going to fly to Bozeman, rent an SUV, and do our overnights in a classic old hotel in Philipsburg, a riverside motel in Salmon, ID, and 3 nights at the Elk Lake Lodge in far southwestern Montana, within shouting distance of Brower's Spring, the source of the Missouri River.

We'll have a hike planned for nearly every day, one or two soaks in natural hot springs, a look-see at some NF campgrounds in the Big Hole to see how our camper and truck might be deployed at a future date, one or two drive-ups to above-timberline views, and a day-trip paddling the Salmon River at the upper end of the Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness.  I think we'll take a shot at visiting Brower's Spring, too.  There's a fairly short and easy-looking trail to the spring from the Sawtell Observatory access road near Island Park, ID, and if we can get comfortable hiking solo in high-density grizzly country, we might do that.

Foy

Edited by Foy, 16 February 2018 - 01:03 PM.

#2 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:03 PM

Sounds like a great trip.

Goldbug/Elk Bend Hot Springs is well worth the hike up if you haven't been to it yet.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#3 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:57 PM

Sounds like a great trip.

Goldbug/Elk Bend Hot Springs is well worth the hike up if you haven't been to it yet.

If there is a nicer natural hot spring anywhere in the Lower 48, I'd love to go there. We went to Gold Bug in 2011 with a couple from Seattle and met up with a couple from Challis while there.  Stopped at Sharkey's on the way back to our vacation rental cabin near Polaris, MT on the way back.  It was a great day of spectacular scenery, a wonderful setting at Gold Bug, and a fun lunch in Salmon, ID. That pass-through of Salmon on a warm summer day is the primary reason it's on the itinerary for September 2018.

I've also got my eye on Horse Creek HS along the ID-MT border north of Salmon.  Just don't know if I want to do a nearly all day drive in and out order to get there.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Foy

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:10 PM

I'm planning something similar for September/October.  I'd love to connect and share ideas, here or via mail.  I do my trip planning with an ancient copy of MS Streets and Trips, google earth, best motorcyle routes, and the Benchmark books.  

#5 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:46 PM

Foy, I will be following this closely. Plan on being back in Montana Sept/Oct 2019.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#6 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 17 February 2018 - 01:52 PM

I'm planning something similar for September/October.  I'd love to connect and share ideas, here or via mail.  I do my trip planning with an ancient copy of MS Streets and Trips, google earth, best motorcyle routes, and the Benchmark books.  

Next to being there, chatting about Montana sights and scenery is my favorite thing, Vic.  Glad to share any info and ideas I have with you.

Foy

#7 137buck

137buck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationDeer Lodge MT

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:25 AM

When you are in Phillipsburg, or as what we locals call Pburg, make sure you visit the candy store. Also if you have a chance, on Hwy 1 between Pburg and Anaconda, there is Storm lake, absolutely beautiful area. It does get kind of rough towards the end though, but nothing to extreme. Also there is the Skalkaho pass, it is off of hwy 1 too, its an easy drive and it is very scenic, having a big waterfall halfway though, this road will also take you over to Hamilton area. There is also a great spots to explore outside of Deer Lodge, where I live, you have Orifino campground to the east, and then you have the area up behind the prison, there is also Racetrack area, has a national forest campground, which is a great spot to see bears and moose. Any questions let em fly.

#8 137buck

137buck

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationDeer Lodge MT

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:31 AM

Also I forgot, if you do go up to Storm lake, you can hike up onto the backside of the lake and hike into the Pintler wilderness area.

#9 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:04 AM

137buck,

Thanks for the ideas! For someone who has lived his whole life 2,400 miles from P'burg, I've had the pleasure of visiting a goodly number of times.  The wife and first "discovered" Rock Creek and P'burg when wandering out of Missoula with only a 1982 Rand McNally US Road Atlas as our guide. When we popped out of the canyon and climbed up the John Long Mountains and first saw P'burg, it was a sight for sore eyes. We love us some P'burg.

But in all those years, we've always routed through P'burg on MT 1, "the Scenic Route" rather than going through Deer Lodge along I-90.  As a result we've never seen the north side of the Flint Creek Range, Racetrack, the Grant-Kohrs Ranch, or the Territorial Prison.  We might just have to spend a day over in that direction come September.

We could do the Skalkaho Highway again-----as long as I don't tell my wife where we're going.  That drop-off west of the pass, above the falls, is too much for her.  Or so she says........

Thanks again!

Foy

#10 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 21 February 2018 - 11:30 PM

Foy...

I'm a couple of miles down 1 from you...in the Containment Area (RY).

Purchase this Butler map.  While oriented for road bikes, it will work great for a "drive about".

While I have ridden dual sport motorcycles all over ID and MT, the Butler map is great for finding those stretches of road that are most scenic.  Butler does not map out the hidden gems that locals prefer to keep to themselves.  But stop at any roadhouse, cafe, climbing center and locals are more than happy to share their spots.

A friend lives in Bozeman and spends more time with his FWC in middle and upper ID than MT.  Mid and upper ID is truly breath-taking.

I have plenty of maps and notes to share if you want to meet for a coffee sometime.

Bill

South Carolina Low Country.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users