7 replies to this topic

#1 2thetop

2thetop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCalifonia

Posted 18 February 2018 - 02:42 PM

I am wanting to plan a trip to the five national parks in southern Utah. I tend to do mostly winter camping , I like the snow and colder temperatures , any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can take off a full fourteen days.  Remote camping is my goal, my rig is a 2006 Dodge 4WD Mega cab with a FWC Hawk.  Thanks 

#2 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 18 February 2018 - 07:09 PM

Headed there at the end of September. 14 day will be pushing it to visit all 5. Depends on what you want to do. Many long hikes and some requiring permits. Not saying you can't get to all 5, but you will be pushing the envelope. We are shooting for the 3 Eastern NP's - Arches, Canyonlands, and Capitol Reef, along with some of the National Monuments. We will leave Zion and Bryce for a future Grand Canyon trip.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#3 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:54 PM

If traveling alone and doing remote camping...

Just make sure of your tools and skills in self recovery.

And, carry a fair amount of provisions,

Some of those roads that look OK can turn into impassible in the rain/snow.

It sometimes happens overnight, sometimes before your own eyes in daylight as you travel.

Sometimes what looks like a good surface is only about 1/2" thick with very soft or slippery stuff below.

It sometimes doesn't improve for days and days.

Be prepared and have a good time... wish I was there (again).

BTW, if the weather turns bad the normal campgrounds are probably easier to do than remote camping and they will most likely be completely EMPTY, or close to it. Almost like remote camping with a firm road and a good camping location.

This advice comes from many years of traveling in Utah, I love the place.

Also, make sure your head is on a swivel, because it will need to turn around a lot for the spectacular views in all directions.

Enjoy.

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:14 AM

Headed there at the end of September. 14 day will be pushing it to visit all 5. Depends on what you want to do. Many long hikes and some requiring permits. Not saying you can't get to all 5, but you will be pushing the envelope. We are shooting for the 3 Eastern NP's - Arches, Canyonlands, and Capitol Reef, along with some of the National Monuments. We will leave Zion and Bryce for a future Grand Canyon trip.

Love Capitol Reef and Canyonlands.  We've been there 5 times and are going back in May.  Grab the book 

https://www.amazon.c...=wow utah hikes

These guys are never wrong!  

For Canyonlands, we like the Needles District the best.  No reservations possible, but you can BLM camp the night before, or stay at the Needles Outpost (has showers!) the night before and get into the NP before 9 and start checking who is leaving.  Be discrete though, they don't like people asking if the campers if they are leaving soon.

#5 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 19 February 2018 - 07:41 PM

I am wanting to plan a trip to the five national parks in southern Utah. I tend to do mostly winter camping , I like the snow and colder temperatures , any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can take off a full fourteen days. Remote camping is my goal, my rig is a 2006 Dodge 4WD Mega cab with a FWC Hawk. Thanks

When are you going? Might be possible to get campsite reservations for the White Rim Trail.

Needles is great if you hike. Head south out of Needles and cross through Breed Basin and from there through the Bears Ears to cross the river at Hite then on up towards Hanksville and Capitol Reef or the Burr Trail via Bullfrog-Nottom road to Boulder and then on to Bryce.

Lots of options but be flexible depending on the weather, road conditions can change in a hurry.
2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#6 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 19 February 2018 - 08:18 PM

+3 on backcountry roads being impassible when wet; 'teflon tires on butter' slippery.  Be prepared to be stranded for 5 or more days while roads dry out.

Having a good way to communicate is important.  The canyons of Utah were places where I could not get any kind of cell signal.  I carry an inReach and it was invaluable for communication and weather reports.

I don't think you are allowed to leave the pavement in the National Parks if you travel with a dog.  Check with the individual parks.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#7 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • LocationMoab

Posted 25 February 2018 - 06:40 PM

...Head south out of Needles and cross through Breed Basin and from there through the Bears Ears to cross the river at Hite then on up towards Hanksville and Capitol Reef or the Burr Trail via Bullfrog-Nottom road to Boulder and then on to Bryce....

Nice route! Don't you mean "Beef Basin" ?

Was just there a few days ago, had to turn around because of the 'Teflon tires on butter' phenomena...Kirk Out

tacomabeef2-18.jpg

#8 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 25 February 2018 - 07:14 PM

Nice route! Don't you mean "Beef Basin" ?

Was just there a few days ago, had to turn around because of the 'Teflon tires on butter' phenomena...Kirk Out

tacomabeef2-18.jpg

Yeah, I do mean Beef Basin, stupid autocorrect...
2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users