• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:24 PM

Call me odd but it's something I think about when I see various items attached to the outside of a vehicle ... what could happen to those items if that vehicle were in an accident.

Without the camper on I'm pretty conscientious about securing a load in the open box. Though I once had a jerry can fly out when crossing a long bridge on Hwy #1. I knew it was empty - the wind just picked it up and out - but I expect the folks behind didn't know. Then there was the time I loosely tied a homemade swag bag to the driver side of the camper and as I got back onto the paved road and sped up it billowed and threatened to fly off ... into the face of a group of bikes that were fast approaching from behind :ph34r: . But I digress.

With the camper on, I don't usually have much attached outside. Inside the camper we do store water containers and sometimes a fridge or an open tub of groceries or pick me up junk in the aisle. A lot of loose items are kept behind the side bench back rest. All this stuff we make tidy but don't secure down. The built in fridge door has two latches and hasn't been a problem. I guess I'm relying on the small interior space to contain any movement.

And then there's the cab. This is what I'm wondering about now. The rear seats are gone and in their place we carry A LOT of stuff in the extended cab. Most is in tubs, the top most ones open with out lids. Nothing is above the front seats. But you know, accidents can happen in the blink of an eye and loose stuff can fly around inside.

Maybe not so bad for driving around in town but for lots of highway speed miles it's something to consider. We don't currently travel with a pet but plan to in the future and then for sure this will have to be addressed so I'm looking at it now.

So what do y'all do about this ? In the cab or camper does anyone strap their containers down or use netting or a safety partition or ?

#2 RicoV

RicoV

• Members
  • 289 posts
  • LocationVail, AZ

Posted 21 February 2018 - 12:34 AM

In the camper, numerous footman loops distributed among the cabinets and baseboard allow me to have innumerable bungee-tiedown options.  In the truck, not so simple, you may have to contrive something involving, as you say, safety nets or a custom-cut and anchored partition.  Good luck with whatever you choose, and btw, your safety concerns are most definitely valid and worthy considerations for all of us.

Rico.

RicoV
2011 FWC Grandby Shell on a 2011 Nissan Titan King Cab SV 4WD

#3 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:28 AM

Amen to that....either in the camper or in the truck cab, any unsecured objects become flying projectiles when an abrupt stop or worse yet a partial of full roll-over occurs. It would suck in a major way to have your seatbelt and air bag save your bacon in an accident only to succumb to being hit in the head/face/wherever with one of those 30-50 lbs objects behind you in the jump seat.

Those steel cage type dividers you see in station wagons or SUVs that people install with suction cups to keep Rover in the rear would be a possible option if you had a third door to the cab though.  The rest of us might look into cargo nets or something contrived using the seat belts back there.

Driving into a creek and having all that stuff come forward and pin you into the front seat preventing your escape from the cab and causing you to drown would not be a nice thing to happen!

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#4 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 01:34 AM

If you want to truly secure items, any kind of cage needs to be bolted to the vehicle. Having outfitted several vehicles used on roads from highways to rough 4x4 roads, even an item weighing a few pounds will knock out any type of restraining device that is not firmly attached to the vehicle.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#5 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:21 AM

I use eyelets and Bungies in the camper. In the cab my rear seats fold down with a flat surface. My kitchen box rides on top and sometimes a small cooler. Both are normally secured with cam straps around the box and the entire seat unit. Pretty solid hold down.

Edited by Squatch, 21 February 2018 - 04:47 PM.

#6 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:28 PM

In our extended cab area we generally have the seat belt harness over anything large....Dometic or water totes.

In the camper we use a combination of full and half size stacking totes.

Stack the totes crossways on floor at front of camper.....full and half totes interlock...one strap goes over all to footman loops at either side bench.

Totes against front bulkhead lessen movement on braking.

David Graves  

Edited by DavidGraves, 22 February 2018 - 12:39 AM.

#7 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 21 February 2018 - 05:23 PM

Thanks All for the comments so far.

... or worse yet a partial of full roll-over occurs.

Driving into a creek and having all that stuff come forward and pin you into the front seat preventing your escape from the cab and causing you to drown would not be a nice thing to happen!

Indeed, rollover or flipping  may be a higher risk with a truck and camper.

Dear me, I hadn't thought of that !!

I think for the cab I may try a cargo net, laid over the back seat area. There are a number of good anchor points avail. We usually cover all the junk with a moving blanket anyway. Could put the net over top. This will hinder access when driving but should help cut down on snacking...

Currently looking at the webbing type nets but need to find the correct size. Don't know if I could cut one down to size ?

#8 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 February 2018 - 11:19 PM

There are a lot of cargo netting options out there depending on your size requirements.

Here's one option...

http://www.uscargoco...PUaAnZCEALw_wcB

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#9 XJINTX

XJINTX

• Members
  • 552 posts
  • LocationEddy, TX

Posted 26 February 2018 - 12:53 PM

Not an accident but... last Trip to Big Bend I had my Glowsteps in the FWC and not tied down. While packing the steps got moved around and were not packed properly. They were able to bounce around on the trail. They REALLY damaged the panel below my refrigerator and all my switches :( Luckily with measurements FWC was able to cut and sell me a new panel and switches :) Long story short fasten your gear down.

Edited by XJINTX, 26 February 2018 - 12:56 PM.

#10 hoyden

hoyden

Lady Bug

• Members
  • 1,459 posts
  • LocationCarbondale, IL

Posted 26 February 2018 - 03:12 PM

I think about that. I originally took out my rear seats and built my platform back there so that I could store things under it in case of crash so that stuff wouldn't just fly around the truck cab. I'm afraid my plan needs work tho.

My platform wobbles a bit, which unnerves the dog who has half the top. I do have the platform attached to the truck via motorcycle tie-downs.

My previous cargo box was bolted to the platform, but the hinged lid made it a PITA to access (couldn't open it all the way, hit the ceiling, fell on me when trying to get to stuff inside). I install two Rubbermaid boxes instead, but they aren't secured to the platform and the lids don't clasp on tight.

I might have to invest in some sturdier cargo boxes with clamped lids, and then will bolt those to the platform.

(pic shows one Rubbermaid on top, but there are two now)

dtai0PpQ-VIKxao3hX54PXFductXY3fkfLvf-C11

https://no-destination.org/ .:.  https://razorgirls.org/

2014 Tacoma DCLB + 2015 FWC Fleet

As I get braver I get stronger, and as I get stronger I get braver. It’ a good cycle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users