Photo
- - - - -

Top-down use: how often do you sleep in/use your FWC with the top down?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Escapepod

Escapepod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationSeal Beach

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:58 AM

I anticipate (won't have our new Grandby until mid-March) leaving the FWC top down in windy conditions, or when trying to discreetly sleep overnight on occasion. Anyone else want to share their top-down use experience?

#2 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:24 AM

Took a nap inside at a church parking lot after picking up the camper. I'd driven from the LA area to San Diego then to Scottsdale AZ and heading back to LA.

Only other time was on a high perch in Death Valley during a wind event. The top was up but it was so bad that I did have some concerns so I brought it down. I've been in some good winds where I wasn't worried about it.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#3 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:56 AM

Been in high winds and never felt threatened.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#4 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 23 February 2018 - 02:38 PM

Never felt like winds were an issue and I've been in 60+ gusts.  Several people on the board have driven down the road for a ways with the top up with no apparent ill effects so while the noise might be unnerving there isn't really a danger of collapse.

I have slept with the top down on a number of occasions, typically when in stealth mode in an urban environment, after years of sleeping on a Thermarest or other pad I have no problems using the couch as a bivy location for a night, just need to find a coffee shop first thing in the morning since you can't use the stove with the top down.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#5 Ronanmd1

Ronanmd1

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:23 PM

Never felt like winds were an issue and I've been in 60+ gusts.  Several people on the board have driven down the road for a ways with the top up with no apparent ill effects so while the noise might be unnerving there isn't really a danger of collapse.

I have slept with the top down on a number of occasions, typically when in stealth mode in an urban environment, after years of sleeping on a Thermarest or other pad I have no problems using the couch as a bivy location for a night, just need to find a coffee shop first thing in the morning since you can't use the stove with the top down.

Same here. Also on ferry crossings ...

Edited by Ronanmd1, 23 February 2018 - 04:24 PM.

#6 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 23 February 2018 - 04:29 PM

Hello Escapepod
Welcome to WtW, we have a Cougar, which is similar to the Grandby. We picked up ours in Reno last January when there was that big snowstorm. Drove to Fallon and stayed in it with the top down. I was concerned about raising and lowering the top as it would be the first time. Also how the cold would effect doing it. Stayed warm no problem sleeping. Wife likes to sleep back there when I'm driving sometimes, I'll turn heater on wen cold no problem.

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#7 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:05 PM

For us, mostly top down would be for cold weather - that includes the effect of wind chill on the exposed vinyl. So if the air temp is coolish and we're camped in a exposed spot and anticipate strong winds, we might drop the top for sleeping to keep the interior warmer. Speaking of wind, we try to consider wind direction when positioning the truck for camping (smoke, mosquitoes, minimizing camper wall exposure). And are cautious when raising or lowering the roof in high wind or gusty conditions, especially with the door open. That concern alone can make us keep the top down overnight or make us get up at night to drop it, while the going is still good.

Also top down is quieter - with noisy neighbours.

Also top down on occasions when we want to break camp quickly in the AM, say for the final day's drive home.

All and all it's great to have the option - if you can manage it with your camper and family.

Edited by klahanie, 23 February 2018 - 06:10 PM.

#8 Yukon

Yukon

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationEdmonds WA

Posted 23 February 2018 - 05:15 PM

I, like ETAV8R, took it down in a sand storm in Death Valley and slept on the floor.  Not just the wind, but also concerns about dust getting in. 

There was another guy in Death Valley that weekend who had a different brand of camper and the roof was ripped off. 

Yukon (aka Chris) Photo: Treking frozen tundra above Arctic Circle 2008 Eagle and 2008 Nissan Frontier (Northwest WA)

#9 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:34 PM

I built my interior with the bed down across the front, mainly because I get up 3 or 4 times during the night to pee, so I am sleeping in my bed with the top down.

My reasons for keeping the top down are:

- If I know we are getting a heavy, wet snow overnight I will leave it down.

- Less rocking and wind noise with top down in high or gusty winds.

- Smaller area to heat if the temperature drops precipitously overnight.

- Stealth camping or just pulling over to take a nap.

Usually happens four or five times a year.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#10 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:43 PM

The only time I lowered the top and slept in the camper, top-down, was in very high winds while camped on the crest of the White Mts, eastern California.  Gusts over 70 mph.

It was October, 2016, I was in the White Mts, parked/camped for the night near the top of the Silver Canyon road at about 10,400 feet elevation.  I was awoken mid-night by the roar of wind and feeling the pressure against the pop-up part of the camper -- inches from my face.  I was kept awake by the sound...and worry that at some point the structure could fail.  The winds were not abating...

So, after more than an hour of worry I decided I had to get the top down. The truck was facing dead straight into the wind.  It was a big struggle -- I thought I'd break it before it came down. Not only was I pulling against the usual initial-resistance of the gas struts, but I was fighting Dr. Bernoulli, too!  When I managed to get it down and clamped the soft-side fabric was sticking out all over -- Bernoulli's work -- but that was good enough.

Before I bed down on the couch I went outside with my really-cool anemometer -- a type that plugs into my smartphone.

14682127_1400339423324442_3343889910498408945_o.jpg

In a few seconds of measurement (while trying to not get blown into Nevada) I measured average winds at 45 with gusts of 70+ mph.  So, there were likely stronger gusts, but I didn't measure them. ;)

The next morning -- winds still high but less -- I drove down the lee side of the of the ridge to get out of the wind well enough that I could re-raise and properly lower the top, tucking in the fabric.  I was pleased that there'd been no damage from the major yanking I'd done to get it down the night before.

"file photos":  13692890_1317939464897772_5476767467798132084_o.jpg   13701221_1317939468231105_4237338925169896065_o.jpg

They make a version of this that communicates with the phone via Bluetooth -- for those phones that have abandoned the 3.5mm audio jack/hole.

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users