Photo
- - - - -

Rear mounted swing bike rack or front tow hitch bike rack?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 photohc

photohc

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationSo. Calif.

Posted 25 February 2018 - 08:36 PM

I need some advice on carrying my bikes. Never done it with the camper before and I'm looking for advice on the pro's and con's of putting it on the rear hitch with a swing away carrier or getting a front hitch for the rack.

I'm carrying two bikes and considered mounting a fork attachment to the back wall of the Hawk. The wall arrangement may demand more work than I want to attempt.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Ford 2018 F250 FX4,Lariat, Gasser. FWC 2013 Hawk W6QN (formerly KH6FBU)

#2 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 26 February 2018 - 12:48 AM

I have a front hitch on my Tundra. I don't carry the bikes there as they would block headlights ect. But I do use it for the rack.

I have had this bike rack for a while. Great bang for the buck. It doesn't swing away but the arms all fold with the pull of a pin and the bikes don't have to be modified to fit. Just set them in the wheel trays and push the hooks down on the top tubes. They have a provision for a padlock that works well to lock the bikes on the rack. I added a little pipe insulation on the hooks to protect the bike paint. The racks even work well to carry my bike now that I have added an electric motor and battery. Over 20 additional pounds of weight.

https://www.amazon.c...ike racks&psc=1

The rack has a hitch pin with screw threads that tighten with a wrench to keep it from wobbling.

I carry the bike rack in my rear hitch with a 9" hitch extender. After loading the camper I load the bikes.

Slide hooks off the upright. and pull the pin and lower the upright.

Set the inside bike in the trays and raise the upright and slide one hook down to hold the1st bike. 

Set the outside bike on and slide the 2nd hook down. then padlock it.

Done. 2 minute process.

When I get to my campsite I remove the bikes and the rack from the rear hitch. So I can install my hitch step.

The bike rack now goes in the front receiver and the bikes go back on if I'm not riding. The truck can be driven locally if needed with the bikes up front.

This way the bikes stay locked with the camper and don't take up campsite space leaning against picnic tables and such.

Moving the bikes and rack is real easy and only takes a couple of minutes. The rack is pretty light.

I use one of these and locking hitch pins to secure both my bike rack and my hitch step and keep them from wobbling in the receiver.

https://www.amazon.c...CBRT268021ZT1BS

I just keep a ratchet with a 3/4" deep well in a door pocket of the truck.

Some pics.

015 (Small).JPG

016 (Small).JPG

017 (Small).JPG

Edited by Squatch, 26 February 2018 - 12:54 AM.

#3 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:22 PM

For my wife's Chevy Traverse as well as on my fullsize pickup, we use a Softride "Parallelogram" 4-bike rack.  The design allows for one easy release to fold the loaded or unloaded rack directly rearward while the bikes remain vertical.  Ours folds down far enough for the hatchback on the Traverse to open easily and for the tailgate on the pickup to open completely. 

I've carried two bikes on the same rack but with it plugged in to my front receiver hitch on the pickup.  I found it distracting and annoying to look through the bikes, even just the little bit by which they rode high enough to require it.  A rack which is shorter in vertical post height would be preferable if plugging it in to a front receiver was necessary.  Because of the unsatisfactory nature of using the same Softride on the front receiver hitch, we've reverted to a slightly extended drawbar/ball to tow our camper trailer and there's a 2" receiver tube atop of the extended drawbar. With that, we can now rack the bikes behind the truck and not interfere with the trailer hitch or the towed trailer.

Foy

#4 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 26 February 2018 - 07:36 PM

When I get to my campsite I remove the bikes and the rack from the rear hitch. So I can install my hitch step.

The bike rack now goes in the front receiver and the bikes go back on if I'm not riding. The truck can be driven locally if needed with the bikes up front.

Brilliant idea, thanks for posting it.

I guess with the right hitch you might also be able drive with bikes up front on a really dusty or muddy road to save them from grime.

#5 Squatch

Squatch

• Members
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationOn the wrong side of the mountains!

Posted 26 February 2018 - 08:44 PM

My rack has good clearance. It would be good for that. But on public roads the bikes are in the way of lights and view.

In the link I posted I saw that Swagman makes a version of my rack that works the same as Foy's to get some door clearance.

#6 BobM

BobM

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 11:46 PM

I use this https://www.amazon.c...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bikerack.jpg

#7 photohc

photohc

• Members
  • 267 posts
  • LocationSo. Calif.

Posted 02 March 2018 - 03:23 AM

Thank you all for your feedback. In the end, I was about ready to place my order for a Yakima Full Swing carrier but had second thoughts of adding another 57#s to the back of the truck.

So, I decided to tackle the minimalist approach and mount the bikes on the back wall as done in the post by Lighthawk here. I actually had purchased these Delta mounts a couple of years ago but never took the time to get them installed. I think I was too paranoid I would hit a wire drilling through the wall near those lights.

To help anyone thinking of doing the same, here are some photos of my install. 

38755442070_1dec33a93a_c.jpg

38755442390_d2de53c686_c.jpg

38755442790_9cd17c3d6d_c.jpg

38755441610_f872362448_c.jpg

38755442610_cbd21f11aa_c.jpg

26694306388_9c74b31d7f_c.jpg

These back tire cradles were created by cutting up a car roof bike mount. I though about buying some aluminum channels but saw this mount on amazon for $33 delivered.

While I haven't road tested this yet, it appears to be a solid solution and saved me $400 and 57 lbs.

Ford 2018 F250 FX4,Lariat, Gasser. FWC 2013 Hawk W6QN (formerly KH6FBU)

#8 COBlue

COBlue

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:53 AM

I did a mount similar to Photohc  on my hallmark.  However I went with the entire cross bar set up so I could switch to ski/board racks in the winter.  I cut the cross bars so they fit on one side of the door.

#9 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 02 March 2018 - 05:31 AM

Thank you all for your feedback. In the end, I was about ready to place my order for a Yakima Full Swing carrier but had second thoughts of adding another 57#s to the back of the truck.

So, I decided to tackle the minimalist approach and mount the bikes on the back wall as done in the post by Lighthawk here. I actually had purchased these Delta mounts a couple of years ago but never took the time to get them installed. I think I was too paranoid I would hit a wire drilling through the wall near those lights.

To help anyone thinking of doing the same, here are some photos of my install. 

These back tire cradles were created by cutting up a car roof bike mount. I though about buying some aluminum channels but saw this mount on amazon for $33 delivered.

While I haven't road tested this yet, it appears to be a solid solution and saved me $400 and 57 lbs.

Very slick!

#10 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 03 March 2018 - 12:57 PM

I think that's the perfect set up!

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.