Photo
- - - - -

Anyone using FWC Hawk in a 5.5 or 5.8 bed?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 06 March 2018 - 04:04 PM

https://denver.craig...6491509891.html

quick search found one..

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#22 Pax2525

Pax2525

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 March 2018 - 05:44 PM

https://denver.craig...6491509891.html

quick search found one..

thats a great price!

F150 & FWC

#23 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 08 March 2018 - 02:10 AM

thats a great price!

actually.. absurd price... I would hop all over that if I didn't already have the exact same truck minus 25k in miles..

#24 mattig

mattig

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:08 PM

Let me save you some time and trouble, as a guy with a really nice 5.5 ft bed crewmax who now regrets it...

Get a Chevy 2500 short bed crew cab with the 6.0 vortec. I'm a Toyota guy through and through, but my neighbor got this truck for a solid 10k less than I paid and I should have done the same.

From what I hear, the 6.0 vortec is a reliable motor even though it's not a Toyota 5.7 which is quickly becoming legendary.

Also, if you're anal about payload, read the owner's manual for the tundra. There are some shocking surprises in there that I don't see much mention of online.

I will say that after hauling 3000 lbs of gravel that I have no doubt the tundras are conservatively rated, but still... I like to stay within spec if I can, and there's essentially no way to do that with any FWC shell and the crewmax.

The double cab could probably work with a hawk (in terms of adhering to the owner's manual), but it depends on configuration. Of course it "works" in general, as I'm sure many here can attest.

I've owned a double cab in the past and they have plenty of rear seat room. The Chevy has a bit more with the same size bed, much higher payload, and a much lower price.

I'll personally still probably try to make a Raven shell work in my crewmax, but if I had the truck to buy over again, I'd spend the same money, grudgingly, on a 1-ton, SRW, and not have to think twice about payload.

Edited by mattig, 15 March 2018 - 07:09 PM.

#25 JCatt

JCatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne IN

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:27 PM

Ford and Chevy both have 6.5 crew cab 1/2 tons but they are a little difficult to find. I was thisclose to trading for a Chevy 6.5 bed crew cab with the 6.2 but the wife and kids talked me out of it lol. I'm not sure what kinds of payload they would have though its probably the heaviest curb weight configuration 1/2 ton truck. The 6.0 in the Chevy HD is a very good engine, probably will go down as one of the best ever made. Almost all the newer UPS package cars are using them with a GVWR probably triple most pickups. Not wild on power but very reliable, just never mind the RPM's in the mountains its going to spiiiin! 

2014 FWC Hawk

#26 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 17 March 2018 - 02:32 PM

The double cab Tundra and a hawk is a great combo as long as you're ok with the double cab rear seat. The crewmax is much bigger but Toyota won't make it with the 6.5' bed. They really should as I'm confident they'd sell a ton. You can spend 10k and have it done by longbedmytruck.com if you're really committed to the toyota name!

#27 fireball

fireball

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Locationcentral PA

Posted 17 March 2018 - 02:33 PM

IMG_7157.JPG

#28 Timothy McGowen

Timothy McGowen

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:04 PM

I'm not sure what your exact needs are for a crew cab but if it works for you you might consider the F150 SuperCab. I have a Hawk mounted on a F150 Supercab 6.5 foot bed and it works great. Granted I had to order it since they are hard to find but that way I could order the extended fuel tank and payload package.

The old cab and a half SuperCab has a new design and I call it a cab and three quarter. The rear seat area is bigger than it used to be. My 6' 2" son has ridden for hundreds of miles back there and says he has plenty of room. With the flat floor (no transmission hump) and suicide doors I find it to be a great platform to work out of. 

You might just take a look and see if it might work for you. It will give you more payload as well.

P.S. Although I don't tow, for the nay sayers, I have the 2.7 liter eco-boost and have no problems passing other RV's at 11,000 feet.

2016 Ford F150 SuperCab 4X4 Lariat 2.7 EcoBoost Engine

2016 FWC Hawk Front Dinette Silver Spur

#29 JCatt

JCatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne IN

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:43 PM

I don’t doubt that 2.7 did just fine in the mountains. With the twin turbos you have very similar power as the Chevy 6.0 and yours won’t suffer from the altitude nearly as much.

2014 FWC Hawk

#30 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 666 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:29 PM

Love my F150 Super Crew 5.0, 6.5 bed.. but it is a very long truck.. 

Curious about how your gas mileage suffers with the camper on it for those of you who have the EcoBoost? I have heard they take a bit of a beating when carrying weight? I am a roofing contractor so when the camper is off, I can often be found hauling quite a bit.

We spent 3 weeks driving Baja and averaged 16.2 mpg with camper, over 4500 miles. Not bad in my opinion.. the 5.0 is also damn good in the mountains, never a problem with the get up and go...FYI.. my camper is very light.. 81-81 Fleet 7.5.. totally gutted with no amenites.. I guess that helps with mpg?

Edited by BBZ, 18 March 2018 - 11:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users