• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:36 PM

I am anxiously waiting my Grandby Shell. Mid April can not come soon enough. Also waiting on a F-150 HD truck with similar ETA. Ford has already delayed my build. I want lightweight functionality, spending both more & less, in different areas. A traveling tent with some low key luxury for a change. Here are some some links to batteries I researched ...
https://battlebornba...-cycle-battery/

https://www.bioennop...ant=20548674821

https://www.renogy.c...-12-volt-100ah/

https://starkpower.c...t-100ah-battery

I happen to be starting with the battery, then learning as I go out/up .... I chose Stark based on bottom line value & “real life usage” reference found here on WTW. I can share a discount code with the serious. All the batteries seemed competitive. Most had similar warranties & some offered email discount codes. The positives of LFP make sense & offer value to me over the long term. I want to compile a list of the all required components before I attempt any installation. This stuff is not my bag. I am starting to research, and understand they have specific needs, but ugh ... any suggestions would be appreciated ...

Edited by Stokeme, 25 March 2018 - 01:54 AM.

#2 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 03 March 2018 - 11:55 PM

I think the battle born batteries have a pretty good reputation and are as reasonable value as you are going to get from LiFePO4 batteries at this point.

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 04 March 2018 - 03:52 AM

Ready to go, no muss no fuss, I'd go battle born. I hope I get the life outtta my agm's before I need to make that decision though.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#4 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 05 March 2018 - 10:11 PM

I purchased a LiFePo4 12v 100ah Battery from StarkPower today. It was the most reasonable for me and it has Bluetooth capability. From my IPhone I can monitor all phases of the battery using an app, temperature as well. I still may hardwire a Bluetooth Battery monitor, but if the app works as promised, I would not need a monitor. This is a plus, Less wiring. I have no personal history with either battery but the SP battery has performed well for a Forum member for two years. His was purchased before it became Bluetooth capable. The customer service & technical knowledge was good today on the phone. Do not call the 800 line, it is just a answering service. I am a complete Solar novice though, so please factor that into this report. I do research well but I am really just learning as I go.

#5 Zirdu

Zirdu

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSt. George, UT

Posted 10 March 2018 - 03:33 PM

I like the LifeBlue lithium batteries.  They have them in 75, 100, 150, 200 and 300 amp hour versions (12 volt)  They have a bluetooth monitor, which eliminates the need for a battery monitor.  (seems similar to the StarkPower bluetooth monitor?).

I particularly like the 200 amp hour version for my Grandby..  The size is less than a 4D battery size, and according to my measurements it will fit perfectly into the existing battery compartment in my Grandby.  

www.lifebluebattery.com  

Edited by Zirdu, 10 March 2018 - 03:34 PM.

#6 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 10 March 2018 - 05:11 PM

I like the LifeBlue lithium batteries.  They have them in 75, 100, 150, 200 and 300 amp hour versions (12 volt)  They have a bluetooth monitor, which eliminates the need for a battery monitor.  (seems similar to the StarkPower bluetooth monitor?).

I particularly like the 200 amp hour version for my Grandby..  The size is less than a 4D battery size, and according to my measurements it will fit perfectly into the existing battery compartment in my Grandby.  

www.lifebluebattery.com  

Very nice battery if you can justify spending that much.

Model LB12200B-SC

Dimensions 19.0" x 6.6" x 9.5" Tall

Smaller than 4D Size  Weight 56.6 Pounds

$1788.00

#7 Zirdu

Zirdu

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationSt. George, UT

Posted 10 March 2018 - 08:20 PM

Yes it is expensive, but not that much more than other LiFePo batteries.  I haven't bought one yet, but am considering it.   They have a limited warranty of up to 10 years.  Here is how LifeBlue says they tested their batteries:  

"Our battery was tested at 100% DoD. That means we discharged the battery until it was dead. We recharged the battery then did it again. The discharge rate was 1C. That means 1 x the battery capacity. For example, 100 Amps from a 100AH battery. That is an extremely high discharge rate that you are unlikely to ever experience.

After 2800 times of this abusive treatment, our LiFeBlue battery still had 83% of the original capacity! This is truly an amazing result. Try to find any other Li-ion battery that has actually tested their battery to that severity and had as good a result."

#8 paddlesurf.net

paddlesurf.net

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 06:13 AM

Following this thread and super interested on how you'll piece together your system. Thanks for links.

I'd like to install a DC to DC charger in my camper since I'll be using the two AGM batteries that I ordered with the camper. Until they die and I replace them with Lithium batts. I'm thinking I'll install a RedARC unit because it comes with a Lithium battery setting. I'm hoping I'll be covered for future lithium upgrades. Yes? No?

For the solar side I'd like to go MPPT and am thinking I'll buy a Victron 100/30 smart solar controller - is this a good choice for solar controller considering I'll be going to lithium batteries once my factory installed AGMs are toasted?

I'm still undecided on removing the IOTA converter - why couldn't I install a dedicated Lithium battery charger (Like a Noco lithium charger) and just plug into that when I want to run/charge up batteries from shore power?

#9 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:46 PM

LifeBlue Battery looks like a high quality Battery. My StarkPower Battery 100AH was $807.5 with coupon-code. Hope my Stark holds up long term. You could wait to replace your controller until you go Lithium. I am starting with a new Shell basically from scratch. So, I am forced to supply all components. I am replacing the one standard Battery, due to weight concerns as much as anything else, to get more of a usable discharge from one Battery. You could wait on a battery charger until Lithium as well. I can not comment on RedArc, it seems you could wait to upgrade when/if you convert. I am going to stick with 12V for all my power needs initially & if possible long term. I will run an extension chord through a turnbuckle, or install a int/ext 2way ac plug, to access shore power when available. Because of this I will abandon my engine to Shell wiring & see if my solar can keep me charged using roof & portable. I am a novice so we will see how everything pans out.

Edited by Stokeme, 14 March 2018 - 11:39 AM.

#10 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:17 PM

I want to offer some real world feedback on a NOCO Genius G7200 as it pertains to my lithium battery. After more discussion with StarkPower about my Solar System Setup using a LiFePo4 Battery bank, maintenance charge requirements, engine to house connection, shore power charging & more ... BTW, NOCO worked fine, just too slow to be useful to me, it may be great for AGM, Lead etc ... results below:
I hooked my recently purchased NOCO to my lithium battery. I wanted to confirm & test for myself what had been discussed. After 70 minutes my charger added only 4% (4ah). The initial SoC was 59% (59ah). If usage had depleted 80% (80ah), it would take 23 hours to fully charge. The NOCO at 7.2 amps is under powered for my use. I should have been lithium specific, so I will attempt to return NOCO to Amazon. I will post a link below that offers a couple more LiFePo4 Battery choices & the charger I am now considering. I will research further. I will purchase from someone a 12v 30amp Charger or maybe 45amp, 20amp minimum IMO. The Bluetooth worked very well in my Battery, great monitoring detail. I am posting my learning curve.

https://www.progress...ttery-chargers/

Edited by Stokeme, 21 March 2018 - 05:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users