• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#11 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 11 March 2018 - 06:52 PM

I always make a big pot of Chili to take on my fall trips, easy to heat up with little mess.  Ron

#12 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:38 AM

I like using the grill.  Veggies, chicken, pork chops, steaks all find their way onto the grill at some point.  Hummus and crackers can work for a snack.  Tortillas with some cheese and salami all rolled up is a great quick lunch.  Breakfast is usually a cuppa unless there is a big day planned then it gets more involved.

Getting ready to order a discada in the next week or so, anticipating that will change my cooking habits a  bit.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#13 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,318 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 12 March 2018 - 04:24 AM

We're of the cooking crowd, and enjoy it as part of camp life.

We have some basic meals:

Pasta-  add sundried toms or fresh, or cook up some dried morels with salad.  Uses a lot of water.  

Mexican- home cooked beans, torts, cabbage, cilantro and some sort of salsa I chop up with fresh chilis.   I make green sauce at home with bbq tomatillos and jalepenos, ground up with a bit of salt and garlic.  We bring green sauce in a small mason jar for most trips. 

Grilled cheese- Sturdy sourdough, in a cast iron skillet with cheese and toms.  Salad is alway a staple side dish.

These are tasty and can be done in 15 minutes or less. 

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#14 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:48 PM

"Cooking? I'm on vacation" sounds like us. And I'll be the odd man again and say, I see our road trips as a great opportunity to loose weight !

So rather than the big morning fry up of eggs, bacon, sausage tomato etc ... we skip. Mind you we overnight more than stationery camp so we're usually up and go. Maybe have some fruit while driving.

Lunch is a sandwich, wrap and or fruit/veg. Never cook unless it's a u pick corn trip then it's steamed corn all day.

Dinner is a one pot meal if possible. Usually soup. So say low sodium broth from a box to cook fish ball and a few veggies and then heat udon noodle (these are bought packaged pre cooked) Could substitute with pasta (additional pot) and cold cuts or canned fish. 

We don't usually pre make meals though a freezer is great for this, and also froz veg. One tip is to buy a rotisserie chicken from safeway, costco etc and pre shredding it before leaving, this can be used in few meals.

Bill D is right about farmers markets. We do stop, although in truth, I hate to shop while on vacation !

#15 nikonron

nikonron

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Locationowensboro,ky

Posted 12 March 2018 - 08:42 PM

Getting ready to order a discada in the next week or so, anticipating that will change my cooking habits a  bit.

Bob, I built my own, not to difficult and lot cheaper.  Ron

#16 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:28 PM

I'm surprised at the breakfast skippers. I can't skip breakfast. It was always funny when I was working for CDF to see the people who skipped breakfast complaining when we got an 11:30 dispatch. I wasn't very sympathetic :)

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#17 trikebubble

trikebubble

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 11:54 PM

We're of the cooking crowd, and enjoy it as part of camp life.

We have some basic meals:

Pasta-  add sundried toms or fresh, or cook up some dried morels with salad.  Uses a lot of water.  

Something you might want to check out, Barilla makes a pasta called Pronto that cooks in minimal water and soaks up the water you use. It takes about 10 minutes and you don't need a strainer. As far as dry pasta goes, it is quite good. We pretty much use it exclusively when camping.

Edited by trikebubble, 14 March 2018 - 11:55 PM.

#18 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 15 March 2018 - 03:53 AM

When the hobbits stole farmer maggots mushrooms I was like, mushrooms? Who'd steal those? Pronto sounds interesting except spaghetti is one the things I"ll usually pre prepare. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#19 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:46 AM

Pronto does sound interesting.

After watching Darwin on the Trail from YT I've picked up some Knorr Rice sides and also some Idahoan instant potatoes. Haven't made either in camp yet.

When at home I usually always eat yogurt and granola for breakfast so when I go camping I tend to do an egg scramble.

Lunches vary from wraps (boring) to hamburgers (Costco precooked frozen burgers are easy and good), to burritos.

Dinners are stews or meats, and rice, with salads. I've found the prepacked salads are a good choice for camping. All the fixins are there and they are pretty good.

A friend of mine does most of his cooking at home and then vacuum packs it all. He just boils his meals, other than sandwiches, and hes done.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#20 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 15 March 2018 - 07:54 PM

I'm the odd one out here. Before having a camper, we got pinned down by weather on camping trips that left us unable to cook for a couple of days. One of the main reasons we bought a camper was to be able to cook inside. Sure, I still grill outside. But the only reason I will carry a stove to cook outside is when I plan to cook so much I need a second stove.

And the whole idea of not cooking in your camper so it doesn't smell really baffles me. So you don't cook in your house either? Does your cooking smell that bad? To me, a camper (or anywhere for that matter) smelling like garlic, herbs, sauteing onions, etc. is a good thing. Like walking into your favorite restaurant.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users