• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 17 March 2018 - 03:40 PM

Hi all - took a trip to the Owyhee canyonlands in Oregon to do some fly fishing along the Owyhee River.  Great scenery, nice campsites along the river, some BLM roads to hike with the dogs, and plenty of chukar for the dogs to bust.

2hgeb5t.jpg

After the trip, I had a few ideas about features for our Hawk, Odi.  

Floor mat - what are you using for a floor mat?  Has anyone cut one of these weatherproof floor mats to fit their camper?  I measured the floor and the dimensions of the largest rectangle space is approx 3'9" x 2'2.5".  The mat below comes in 3'9" x 2'9", which would only require me to trim a bit and would extend below the fridge.  Not cheap, tho!

http://www.orvis.com...ASABEgJ5S_D_BwE

Has anyone used a fly rod rack that mounts on the the hood of the truck and roof like in the image below?  My concern is that that rack won't work properly given the cabover part of the Hawk.  Any suggestions for carrying a 9' fly rod with the camper is appreciated!

2psm612.jpg

2019 Silverado 2500HD, 2017 Hawk

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 17 March 2018 - 04:07 PM

Karlton,

I just use an inexpensive runner for a floor mat. Warmer on the toes.

Check out the rod case that JD (longhorn1) made for assembled rods. My preference is to not carry them assembled, so laying on the dinette in two pieces, or using a two piece case is my solution. For the 11’ and 14’ Spey rods, they go back in the tube.

http://www.wanderthe...-fly-rod-vault/

Steve

I am haunted by waters

#3 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 17 March 2018 - 05:33 PM

I fish there about 2-3x / week and surprised I didn't see you as I always notice FWC and ATC's.  I think you hit the weather perfectly as it was a bit wet yesterday.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 06:38 PM

I fish there about 2-3x / week and surprised I didn't see you as I always notice FWC and ATC's.  I think you hit the weather perfectly as it was a bit wet yesterday.

Are you fishing below the dam?

I am haunted by waters

#5 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:11 PM

I just use an inexpensive entry rug.  3' X 5', cut to size.  Must be comfortable on bare feet, easily releases lint, etc., have a rubber bottom (so dirt doesn't filter through).  I just shake it out to clean.

I also have astroturf on the steps for cleaning feet (and paws) before entering the camper.  That stuff catches an amazing amount of dirt.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#6 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:12 PM

Are you fishing below the dam?

Yes, below the dam on the river.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#7 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 168 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:29 PM

Thanks all!

I was thinking cutting up a $90 floor mat was a bit on the extreme side for floor protection. I'll see if I can find a less expensive mat to protect the floor and make it easy to clean the dirt out.

I was on the river Wednesday through Friday this week. It was my first trip to the Owyhee, and one of my first times fly fishing this early in the season, and only did okay. I'm a cutthroat trout guy from North Idaho and fish the st. Joe and Clearwater regularly.

2019 Silverado 2500HD, 2017 Hawk

#8 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 757 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:51 PM

We use on of the foam mats from Costco for kitchen use. They last a long time, plus we have a couple of other thin throw rug pieces that are easy to clean. Ditto on the fake astroturf - I bolt it onto the custom step I had made and it helps to clean the mud and dirt off the shoes and dog paws. Easy to replace too.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:37 PM

Yes, below the dam on the river.

We will have to meet up over there one of these days. I’ve only been there once.

I am haunted by waters

#10 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:34 PM

I built my own flyrod vault for about $75. It fastens to the jack brackets. My post is in the hiking, biking, floating, fishing section. jd

Edited by longhorn1, 17 March 2018 - 11:36 PM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users