52 replies to this topic

#1 Horseshoe

Horseshoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 03:51 PM

I’m heading up to Arizona Snowbowl tonight and the forecast calls for 5-8” of spring snow. I’ve been through one storm before with maybe 4” accumulation, and the weight was noticeable but manageable. I’ve since added a 160W solar panel right above the door, and the potential added weight makes me a bit nervous. I will be solo and don’t relish the prospect of a collapsing roof.

Am I being paranoid if I drop the roof before going to bed and sleep on the couch? I do have the lift struts and stronger than average upper body strength, but I don’t want to get smashed or do any structural damage.

#2 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 17 March 2018 - 04:11 PM

I use my Phoenix camper mostly in winter and I carry a snow rake and 3 step ladder. If your roof is strong enough to walk on, then 8" of snow shouldn't be a problem.

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#3 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 17 March 2018 - 05:00 PM

Better safe than sorry. If you can sleep top down, I would. But I am a scardy cat. 

Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#4 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:01 PM

I can't imagine 5-8 inches of snow evenly distributed will cause your roof to collapse....

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#5 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:33 PM

Worst case wet snow weights 1.66 lbs/sq.ft. per inch deep.

I cut 2X3s to prop the roof up as a fail-safe; the roof is not coming down without it breaking.  Easy to make, simple to store, takes a couple of seconds to set up.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#6 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 17 March 2018 - 08:53 PM

For me it isn't worrying about the roof when it is up, but going down. That might put a lot of stress on the folding panels and the rivets connecting them to the base as things move under pressure. 

Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#7 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:04 PM

I've never seen anybody report collapsing or damage due to snow or ice build up.

I have only seen posts of people worried about it.

If I'm wrong, please point out the thread.

#8 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 17 March 2018 - 10:41 PM

If you wanted to you could throw a tarp over the top with a rope on each corner once you make camp before there is any snow build up. After some snow falls, two of you can pull the tarp to one side and dump the snow before it gets dark, then go to the other side and pull the tarp back into position. In the morning or when it is time to vamoose, pull it completely off.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#9 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:15 AM

If you wanted to you could throw a tarp over the top with a rope on each corner once you make camp before there is any snow build up. After some snow falls, two of you can pull the tarp to one side and dump the snow before it gets dark, then go to the other side and pull the tarp back into position. In the morning or when it is time to vamoose, pull it completely off.

That's an excellent idea!

#10 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:18 AM

I like this idea too! I wonder if the tarp might catch on things on the roof like solar panels or racks but I think the idea is sound.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users