• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#11 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 18 March 2018 - 01:21 AM

If concerned I'd sleep top down. If the roof collapses on your face in the night who's gonna help you. Would it ? prob not. we've had about 8" overnight, unexpected. But why risk it ? Peace of mind helps me sleep.

And it seems to me it would be a lot easier to clear off the roof in the morning if it was down.

Tarp is a good idea but snags on our rack.

I've slithered over the FWC roof but haven't walked on. Has anyone ?

Have also used wood blocking for backup (1x6s) but found them hard to stay in place. Now sometimes use quick claps, reassembled with the handle and stop flipped outwards. Under tension they stay in place. Use them when carrying a canoe for eg. Don't know how strong but reckon if placed in the overcab area the rear roof would go down first. ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fassets.rockler.com%2Fme

#12 Edgewood

Edgewood

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • LocationBellingham WA

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:21 AM

I've never seen anybody report collapsing or damage due to snow or ice build up.

I have only seen posts of people worried about it.

If I'm wrong, please point out the thread.

I was at Lassen National park a few years ago where I was on the backcountry ski patrol. First day there it rained hard...all day long. I don't really like skiing in the rain so I stayed in the camper and read. That night the rain turned to heavy wet snow. About six in the morning the dog was making noises like she wanted to go outside to pee. As I slid off the loft bed, the rear of the camper roof collapsed. We spilled out of the camper wondering WTF. Eighteen inches of new snow lay on the ground. Spend some time clearing off the snow from the roof. I was then able to raise the collapsed portion of the roof. The aluminum uprights that are on the lift panel were twisted from the stress. 

Let me be absolutely clear here. If both ends of the roof had collapsed at the same time...well I would not be here to write this. Pretty scary.  

I now use the wooden braces mentioned  above to keep the roof up.

#13 Oakleyrossi

Oakleyrossi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:44 AM

We just went through a large storm cycle in here in Tahoe. Camped at the resort and cleared about 12' off the roof before bed and woke up again at 6am to another 12 inches on the roof. Used the ladder and broom to clean it off before heading back in for some food. Cleaned it one more time before lowering to go skiing and had no problem. Grant it we did receive incredibly light snow for Tahoe with 15+:1 water ratio's so not really the weight a true Sierra storm can produce 

#14 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 18 March 2018 - 05:34 AM

I was at Lassen National park a few years ago where I was on the backcountry ski patrol. First day there it rained hard...all day long. I don't really like skiing in the rain so I stayed in the camper and read. That night the rain turned to heavy wet snow. About six in the morning the dog was making noises like she wanted to go outside to pee. As I slid off the loft bed, the rear of the camper roof collapsed. We spilled out of the camper wondering WTF. Eighteen inches of new snow lay on the ground. Spend some time clearing off the snow from the roof. I was then able to raise the collapsed portion of the roof. The aluminum uprights that are on the lift panel were twisted from the stress. 

Let me be absolutely clear here. If both ends of the roof had collapsed at the same time...well I would not be here to write this. Pretty scary.  

I now use the wooden braces mentioned  above to keep the roof up.

Based on calculations you had over 2000 lbs of snow on your roof.

70 Sq ft * 1.66 * 18

#15 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:19 PM

We just went through a large storm cycle in here in Tahoe. Camped at the resort and cleared about 12' off the roof before bed and woke up again at 6am to another 12 inches on the roof. Used the ladder and broom to clean it off before heading back in for some food. Cleaned it one more time before lowering to go skiing and had no problem. Grant it we did receive incredibly light snow for Tahoe with 15+:1 water ratio's so not really the weight a true Sierra storm can produce 

How did you determine the "water ratio"?

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#16 DanoT

DanoT

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationSun Peaks, B.C.

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:27 PM

1991 Dodge CTD, owned since new. 2011 Coyote RV Phoenix pop-up camper, custom made for the Canadian winter.

#17 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:51 PM

Let me be absolutely clear here. If both ends of the roof had collapsed at the same time...well I would not be here to write this.

LOL, dead men don't talk. No report, no problem. :ph34r:

Thanks for the post and glad you can make it !

#18 Edgewood

Edgewood

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • LocationBellingham WA

Posted 18 March 2018 - 05:04 PM

Yeah me too. Another thousand feet up and the skiing was sublime!

#19 Oakleyrossi

Oakleyrossi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe

Posted 19 March 2018 - 04:27 AM

DanoT - My good buddy is the weather and avalanche forecaster for the patrol. Just going off what he was telling me, so not an exact science by any means 

#20 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:53 PM

The National Weather Service publishes data daily on measured snowfall amounts and snowfall water content.  Water ratio of new snow can be obtained by simple division.  I would assume that a ski area would have a NWS weather reporting station, and is collecting and reporting that data.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users