52 replies to this topic

#21 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 March 2018 - 05:35 PM

According to this website and depending on the size of your roof and type of snow

https://www.vcalc.co...w Weight - Area

It looks like the weight of 8"'s would be between 180 and 450 pounds evenly distributed...

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#22 Herve

Herve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 07:23 AM

Would there be any risk damaging the roof if trying to raise it with lots of snow on top of it and using the speaker stand and a drill to raise it? (I have not tried this)

Edited by Herve, 20 March 2018 - 09:23 PM.

#23 Mickey Bitsko

Mickey Bitsko

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 01:36 PM

The original question , how much snow is too much ?
Simple answer is , when the roof collapses.
Use your own judgement don't expect people to give you your judgement call.

Mickey

#24 Horseshoe

Horseshoe

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 02:06 PM

Well, I ended up with maybe 5” on the roof, and everything felt structurally sound. Dropping the roof wasn’t the scary experience I had feared, although I don’t think I would want to do that without the lift struts. I did have to lift the rear up a bit to adjust the vinyl and that was tricky. I don’t think I could lift the roof solo with that weight. Of note, I was totally comfy all night, and this was my fifth or so night down in the teens. While I would not mind an arctic pack, it isn’t the necessity I thought it was going to be.

#25 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 20 March 2018 - 11:47 PM

The original question , how much snow is too much ?
Simple answer is , when the roof collapses.
Use your own judgement don't expect people to give you your judgement call.

Mickey

FWC rates the roofs safe limit to be 1000 lbs of evenly distributed weight.

They give this number knowing that if can handle more.

In my opinion "too much" is a value in between 1000lbs and the point of failure (which is way too much).

Regarding judgement, not everyone knows how much snow weighs, especially given the weight of snow per inch can vary.  Some people have never even experienced snow.  I honestly think most people would have a tough time guessing the accurate weight of 6" of snow on the roof of their camper.

Horseshoe,

One thing that can be used to help control the rate to decent on the roof is if you have a speaker stand jack.  The jack could also be used as a failsafe while you are sleeping.

Keep in mind if you are using the jack and there is a lot of weight up on the roof that the jack is absorbing most of the weight in the center portion.

Edited by Bill D, 21 March 2018 - 12:03 AM.

#26 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,104 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 21 March 2018 - 02:52 AM

Would there be any risk damaging the roof if trying to raise it with lots of snow on top of it and using the speaker stand and a drill to raise it? (I have not tried this)

Horseshoe,

One thing that can be used to help control the rate to decent on the roof is if you have a speaker stand jack.  The jack could also be used as a failsafe while you are sleeping . . .

Be aware that the speaker stand   https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

is rated at only 80 lbs capacity.

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#27 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:38 AM

Be aware that the speaker stand   https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

is rated at only 80 lbs capacity.

That's a very low rating.

Mine doesn't have a tripod base.  I'll have to check out what it is rated at.

#28 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 23 March 2018 - 05:24 PM

I would suggest a call to FWC to get clarification on the "1,000 lbs evenly distributed" figure.....

I get the feeling that might be what the roof can hold in the DOWN position. If in fact it does mean it will stay UP with 1,000 lbs (or less) without collapsing that's fine. I would then ask them what kind of weight will the roof support during the LOWERING operation, and how much will it handle in the RAISING of the roof sequence.

It seems foolish to me to try to either raise or lower the roof with a heavy snowfall on it, especially a wet snowfall. It doesn't take that long to get up high enough to remove two feet of snow along either side with a plastic snow rack to relieve the weight somewhat. That would be close to 2/3rds of the snow I think. One will have to know where solar panels or vents or antennas or other obstructions are located though.

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#29 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 23 March 2018 - 05:55 PM

1,000 lbs was the number I was given, 20+ years ago. A nice round number, irrespective of camper roof size. But if you had a problem how would you prove the weight ?

Seems to to me having the roof collapse while you slept would be a pretty lousy way of finding out someone else was wrong, LOL.

In the absence of experience, I'd rather err on the side of caution. Especially when away from home.

#30 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 23 March 2018 - 07:35 PM

These campers are tougher than one might imagine.

lhe1vp3.jpg

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users