• This topic is locked This topic is locked
49 replies to this topic

#1 Traveler_fleet

Traveler_fleet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:08 PM

I noticed a few days ago I have cracks on both sides of the bottom of my truck. The air bag is now tilted. I am waiting for four wheel camper to look at the photos I sent on 3/15/18 and 3/16/28. My question is anyone else having issue of crack in the truck from the camper. I went to 2 car places and they said the camper is to heavy for my tacoma. The tacoma is 4x4,off rode. The fleet is heavier then the last eagle model. I got the storage under the bed of the camper and the weight 1400 lbs which the camper weight is over the toyota specs pay load on my truck. I hope four wheel camper gets back to me soon because I don't think it's safe to drive my truck now. I am posting photos. I bought the model fleet and as a customer I figure four wheel camper should put the correct camper on my Toyota truck. I wouldn't know. They are the experts. I also got air bags and new shocks when I got the fleet. I am going to the service department At Toyota to see what they say tomorrow. I posted crack from left and right side and tilted air bag on right side. What i think is the fleet is too heavy for my 2004 truck. I have not gone 4 wheeling so this is from city driving. Please, think twice about buying the fleet. I love my Fleet the camper works great but maybe the truck spec on a Toyota it goes on is wrong? Even the new Toyota trucks pay load isn't high enough for my camper. Anyone having this issue?  left_crack.jpg  3_pic.jpg 4_pic.jpg pic_crack.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• Truck_wYellowX_show_where_cracks.jpg

Edited by Traveler_fleet, 17 March 2018 - 09:00 PM.

#2 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:11 PM

I don't see any pictures and can't visualize where the cracks are.  

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#3 Traveler_fleet

Traveler_fleet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 07:12 PM

I will try posting photos again.

#4 Traveler_fleet

Traveler_fleet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:16 PM

I will post more photos. 

#5 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 17 March 2018 - 09:26 PM

Suspect corrosion... because of red overspray. Has the truck ever been wrecked?

Attached Thumbnails

• left_crack.jpg

Edited by Bombsight, 17 March 2018 - 09:28 PM.

#6 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:00 PM

Search for “tacoma frame rust corrosion campaign”

Don’t know if your unit is in that group but might be worth exploring.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#7 Traveler_fleet

Traveler_fleet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:07 PM

No, never been in accident. Always on west coast. The red is the color of the truck. I bought this truck new and had the eagle model first. I then got this fleet model. When I drove off the first time with the fleet camper. It was swaying left to right. I had to slow down so I got new shocks, and air bags. Two car companies looked at the cracks last week and they said the camper is too heavy for the truck. The second guy said it should had been reinforced with a thick metal going across. He said four wheel camper should have known and go back to them.

#8 lactic

lactic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:31 PM

What year Fleet is that? It looks huge compared to my 2018 Fleet shell on my Taco.

I will say that even the shell added quite a bit of weight and I will be upgrading the leaf packs even though I have the airbags.

Tons of FWCs out there on Tacomas though.

#9 BillTheHiker

BillTheHiker

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 17 March 2018 - 11:55 PM

I read this and went out to the garage and crawled under the truck with a flashlight. Everything looks good.  It is a 2008 tacoma, v6, trd  offroad, 4wd with a 2016 Fleet. Truck is red but no paint underneath.I am not aware of Toyota painting anything underneath. I should also mention that this winter I drove some very rough roads in Death Valley (Trail Canyon, Hanupah Canyon, Cottonwood Canyon and Rockhouse Road in Anza Borrego and many others) and I think the Tacoma is totally capable of handling the Fleet.

Maybe that swaying you mentioned is to blame. Di it result in the camper shifting in the bed?

Boise Spring Works did my install. First trip the camper shifted laterally so I inserted wood blocks between the camper and truck bed to prevent shifting. It is so tight that the turnbuckles never loosen up at all.

?Who installed the camper?

Did they say anything about the red paint?

#10 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:06 AM

Frame rust is a well-documented problem on that vintage of  Tacomas. There was a program to replace frames but I think that has ended. I agree with others that mention that as a likely source of the problem. Not to say that the Fleet isn't overloading the truck because it most likely is.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users