• This topic is locked This topic is locked
49 replies to this topic

#11 iowahiker

iowahiker

• Members
  • 487 posts
  • Locationiowa

Posted 18 March 2018 - 01:31 AM

Looking at the pictures, it appears the bed frame is broken not the truck frame.  The bed sheet metal is attached to a bed frame and the bed frame is attached to the truck frame.  My thoughts on the photo.

#12 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 18 March 2018 - 01:50 AM

OK here is a thought:

You say both sides are cracked and it looks like the bed is cracked at the frame towers that the bed is attached to.   I see there is a bolt that is attached to the bed I would assume that is for the turnbuckle.  If so there should be a wider plate to spread the load foot print out.

I also see that the camper sits heavy to the rear meaning all the heavy stuff is more behind the center of the axle.  

So I would suspect that the camper is rocking back and forth and doing so is putting stresses on the mounting tower where the bed attaches to the frame.  And would suspect the cause of the bed to crack over time.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#13 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 18 March 2018 - 02:00 AM

To follow up to say it is not a Toyota fault nor a FWC fault but just happens that your attachment is pulling up on the bed and the bed attachment just happens to be that close.  The flexing over time has cracked it.  There is amazing forces that the turnbuckles see as the camper moves around.  ( I have always bolted my campers to the bed)

Take the camper off and have a welding shop re weld the breaks and add a sheet that covers a wider area to attach the camper to.  You are still going to have rocking unless you can move some weight forward.  

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#14 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 18 March 2018 - 02:22 AM

I have a Tundra that is covered under the extended frame rust warranty, and received a notification about the coverage.  The 2004 Tacoma is not covered by the warranty - it is 2005 - 2010 model years.  

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your truck.  

2019 Silverado 2500HD, 2017 Hawk

#15 Traveler_fleet

Traveler_fleet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:02 AM

I read into the rusting... there is a 15 year extension on the 3 year warrantee so I still qualify. I read if the truck was register in a cold weather state those customers got notices. I read I would be qualified. I go to the dealer tomorrow in the truck so kind of scary to drive it. I read that Toyota has told people no. Toyota knew about the rust issue. I saw where people got their whole frame replaced.

#16 Traveler_fleet

Traveler_fleet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:55 AM

If it rust then it will keeps corrosion further. It would be dangerous to drive. For my year 2004, toyota issued this warranty enhancement (called zth) so it covers your frame for 15 years from the date of first with unlimited miles. I got recalls notices but didnt do anything. I have never paid attention to recalls but I will moving forward. Thank you to the posting about this.

#17 bimmeryota

bimmeryota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:05 AM

This being a west coast truck rust is not the issue and overspray is common on those factory paint jobs.
I agree there should have been a wider plate used as a washer to spread the load out like I have for my 91 pickup. When I moved my camper to a T100 it moved more and assumed it was the bed flexing so I had a fabricator weld attachment points to my frame to attach the hooks to and it doesn’t move at all. It’s even better than bolting to the bed IMO. That’s what I would recommend.

1998 Toyota T100 4WD SR5 XtraCab

3.4L V6 Supercharged, Auto, 33" BFG AT KO2, regeared to 4.70+ARB Rear Locker

1" Ball Joint Spacer front lift, KYB MonoMax

Load carrying: Custom Deaver spring packs

Camper: 2013 FWC Eagle with Silver Spur interior and outside shower

#18 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 18 March 2018 - 11:42 AM

I'm 55 years old and have owned two Toyota trucks.
Being a nearly 30 year old faithful Toyota owner, Never have I seen bolts, cables, hoses, brake lines and support brackets with body paint on them except those which have been repaired.

Edited by Bombsight, 18 March 2018 - 11:44 AM.

#19 bfh4n

bfh4n

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationLovingston, Virginia

Posted 18 March 2018 - 12:58 PM

I don't think it's a FWC problem but, rather, a Tacoma problem. As has been mentioned, frame rust-out was a big problem with Tacomas (and Tundras) of that era. Toyota was doing total frame replacements under warranty or buying them back to get them off the road.

My 2001 Tacoma had this problem and wouldn't pass state inspection. The frame was so rusted that I could poke my finger through it. Toyota gave me 1.5x the "excellent condition" book value for it. Only $1000 less that what I paid for the truck 100k miles before.

Unfortunately, I have heard that this buy-back program has ended. Still, you should check with Toyota.

Meanwhile, yours is probably unsafe to drive, especially with a heavy camper on it.

- Bernard

Edited by bfh4n, 18 March 2018 - 12:59 PM.

2014 silver Fleet front-dinette

2007 Tacoma Access Cab 4WD TRD V6 6-speed

#20 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 18 March 2018 - 03:20 PM

This being a west coast truck rust is not the issue and overspray is common on those factory paint jobs.
I agree there should have been a wider plate used as a washer to spread the load out like I have for my 91 pickup. When I moved my camper to a T100 it moved more and assumed it was the bed flexing so I had a fabricator weld attachment points to my frame to attach the hooks to and it doesn’t move at all. It’s even better than bolting to the bed IMO. That’s what I would recommend.

Rust can be an issue on west coast...think salt air anywhere near the ocean [like San Diego] and many western states [including parts of CA] unfortunately salt the roads in winter during snow/ice...

Having lived on North Coast of CA long ago, many trucks/cars had "rust cancer"....

Just sayin' and I could be wrong...!   :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users