49 replies to this topic

#21 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:35 PM

When I moved my camper to a T100 it moved more and assumed it was the bed flexing so I had a fabricator weld attachment points to my frame to attach the hooks to and it doesn’t move at all. It’s even better than bolting to the bed IMO. That’s what I would recommend.

I agree. When I purchased my ATC Bobcat shell I initially thought that bolting the eye bolts in the bed of the truck to the thin metal, even when it could be done through two layers of of the truck bed thin metal was not the way I wanted it mounted. I knew what kind of places I was going to go.

Here is one of the brackets I made for all four corners (showing just one of them).

Wish I could weld as good as Hodakaguy's Dad. But, it's held together for about 7 years, so, I'm OK with the welds.

Angle iron with the open side facing down for less trapping of dirt and mud on top of the bracket and easy washing, plus extra strength assembled this way, no flexing of the angle iron.

gallery_2702_1169_97245.jpg

Edited by Alley-Kat, 18 March 2018 - 04:37 PM.

#22 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 18 March 2018 - 05:10 PM

I bought the model fleet and as a customer I figure four wheel camper should put the correct camper on my Toyota truck. I wouldn't know. They are the experts.

Maybe, but it's your money, your truck, your life. You are the best person to take care of those things. If you are overloaded (as you said) you are taking that risk whether you know it or not.

I got recalls notices but didnt do anything. I have never paid attention to recalls but I will moving forward.

Good idea.

I'd expect normally there will be other rust on a 14 year old vehicle. Good to keep an eye on it. Again, if you are driving an unsafe vehicle you are taking that risk.

Good luck with the repair. :)

#23 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 18 March 2018 - 06:25 PM

Washington uses salt on roads. This is second year that Portland has experimented with salt for ice removal.

My old Chevy S10 was originally from New England and the Oregon mechanics complained about rusted bolts & nuts every time they had to work underneath the truck.

Paul
I thought getting old would take longer.

#24 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 18 March 2018 - 07:08 PM

Please keep posting photos and results from talking to Toyota and FWC. Here is what I can see for now...

1) You said it was overloaded. I fully expect the Toyota Service Rep to take the truck to a set of scales and weigh both axles and compare that to what the VIN tag says the truck is rated for.

2) If in fact it is overloaded, I think you voided any responsibility on their behalf.

3) I don't know what the FWC guys will say, but there are an awful lot of posts on WTW that indicate suspension tune-ups are needed/required for overloaded trucks.

4) However...While I am not that familiar with the FWC installation methods, check inside for some metal gusset plates that the eye-bolts pass through before bolting down inside the camper. They are strongly suggested for older rigs as plywood ages and gets wet/soft.

5) If you noticed an inordinate amount of SWAYING of the camper in the rear of the truck, then that swaying movement is transferred to the bed of the truck. That would tend to work the attaching points of the bed to the frame. If subjected to enough of that working on the metal over time it would fail/crack as your photos show.

6) I don't remember if you bought the truck new, so if not....check CARFAX to see if there are records of damage that would account for the overspray under there.

7) Before going to Toyota, I suggest you weigh the front and the rear and both axles and compare the results to the VIN tag.

In the end, I think Toyota won't be of any assistance. The damage is not due to rust unless you can show that the rust is a widespread problem on the truck bed which from the pics does not seem to be the problem. FWC may point out that all models like yours installed in Toyotas like yours have been OK but that many owners did beef up suspension to AVOID the sway which in my opinion is what caused this failure. 

You may be left with having to remove the bed and have a qualified welder fix the problems and add some substantial gusset plates where the eyebolts come through. Then you need to address the causes of SWAY....that may be as simple as slowing down or doing suspension upgrades and tire upgrades to your truck. 

Another option is to buy a truck with GVRW and axel ratings that can handle the camper....

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#25 Traveler_fleet

Traveler_fleet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 12:53 AM

The fleet was manufactured in 2017. Four wheel camper installed the camper in woodland ca. I went to Toyota service today for inspecting for rust and why I have cracks. They said there is no rust at this time and did find that the right rear frame is twisted may be to over loading. The shipping weight of my fleet is 1395 lbs, that doesn’t include the passengers, water, stuff, so this camper is over the specs. Toyota said that the 2018 Tacoma is the wrong truck for the fleet camper I have. The camper is tall and when going around corners. The truck needs to be bigger. The pay load of my truck is 1,395 to 1585lbs. The pay load is what’s in the truck bed and in the cabin.
Putting fleets in Tacoma and the truck isn’t the correct truck. So, when I drove off with my camper/ truck after the installation it’s over Toyota’s pay load. That seem wrong to me. I can’t drive the truck now and the specs on 4wc shows Toyota 2004 , Toyota 2005 to 2018. However, 2018 Tacoma 4x4 pay load is 1155 lbs. this seems wrong to me. This is messed up to me.

#26 Traveler_fleet

Traveler_fleet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 01:06 AM

I bought this truck new, I am the original owner. I think the fleet is heavier then the esgle model that was before the fleet. The fleet I have has the storage under the bed area. That makes it taller. It is dangerous now to drive the truck. Everyone says that I need to go back to 4wc. I sent them photos last week and they said they would look at them Monday. I will post more photos but kind is too sad right now.

#27 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:16 AM

Send the Toyota service report and a quote for repairs to FWC to support your complaint.

Sorry for your troubles. Hopefully the truck can be repaired.

#28 Portercassidy

Portercassidy

• Members
  • 148 posts
  • LocationColorado Plateau Metro

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:18 AM

That is a bummer for you and your truck. 2004 is the last year of the first gen Tacoma’s. Hoping for the best.

#29 Traveler_fleet

Traveler_fleet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 03:40 AM

Well, 4wc didn’t put the metal across the truck bed as they do on the newer Toyota Tacoma and I am not sure why they didn’t for my truck. The higher profile due to the storage under the bed area and heavier weight then the eagle I think is too much for my truck. 3 car repairs says I need a 1500 or 2500 and Toyota said tundra. I need a bigger truck for the camper I have. I am the customer so I was the tester of the camper. I hope 4wc does the right thing and correct this. Otherwise, what do I do...

#30 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 04:33 AM

it looks like you have the front dinette model which, if it's anything like my Grandby front dinette model has a lot of the heavy things in the camper shifted to the rear, namely the batteries, the refer and the kitchen cabinets.  My Grandby also has the cassette toilet and the water for it at the back of the camper.  It's on a shortbed Dodge 2500, hanging out over the tailgate.  I have Timbrens on all four corners and Pro Comp Shocks.  I didn't expect it at the time I bought it but there is an awlful lot of weight back over my tailgate.  If it weren't for the fact that I'm on a 3/4 ton truck I would say it borders on being unsafe.  I also added a lot of weight to the front (winch, pull pal, H/L jack).  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users