#1 Escapepod

Escapepod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationSeal Beach

Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:03 AM

OK!! We picked up our new Grandby at the Woodland factory on Monday. We ordered it back in November, and it's been ready since January. The hold-up was on the factory build order on our 2018 Ford F-350 (more on that later). But the installation was smooth as silk, thanks to the outstanding FWC staff! Just as I was about to pull the trigger on the camper, I found out that my local FWC dealer had closed up shop, so I called the factory in a panic. Pete took my order over the phone and was a good information source. Andrea, who coordinated the paperwork, had all her ducks in a row as soon as we showed up. Aaron, the production manager , was unflappable in adjusting to my ever-changing truck order delay (while I was tearing my hair out). Jessica managed the installation and did the walk-through with us, patiently answering all our questions. All-in-all, it was great to finally meet everyone and connect the names with faces.
My 2010 F-150 short bed wasn't robust enough to handle any full camper payload (although we had originally added a FlipPac to it.). So I traded it in for a 6.2 L gas-fueled F-350 (which came with a 4,500 lb payload capacity). The truck is a beast, but even with the Grandby, it gets 12.5 mpg highway (only 1 mpg less than the F-150 got with the FlipPac. I haven't towed our 19-ft trailer yet, so I don't expect any great numbers [emoji53]). I think the biggest factors are the improved engine/transmission refinements since 2010, the switch to aluminum bodies Ford made in 2017, and trying to keep a light foot on the gas, seldom exceeding 60 mph.
Now for the main event. We decided on the Grandby because it offered N/S sleeping, a good-sized front dinette that should make stealth camping comfortable, and surprisingly good storage. TIP: if you can live without a water heater, the factory will use the space for a second cabinet that also houses the water pump. By not ordering the largest fridge, we got additional space under the countertop. The photos should help explain. Can't wait for the opportunity to really do some camping in this! We're signed up for the NorCal rally in Bodega Bay, but might be able to squeeze in a short trip before then.

IMG_2635.JPG IMG_2637.JPG IMG_2643.JPG IMG_2642.JPG IMG_2650.JPG

Sorry for the photo quality; couldn't seem to get larger images, and will have to post additional ones in separate replies.

Edited by Escapepod, 22 March 2018 - 04:34 PM.

#2 DrJ

DrJ

• Members
  • 514 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:09 AM

Congrats on your grandby. Looks wonderful. You ordered the best set up!

2015 Silverado Crew Cab Duramax and 2015 Front Dinette Grandby

One can change the world, it only requires kindness

http://www.truckcamp...g-family-earth/

#3 Escapepod

Escapepod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationSeal Beach

Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:14 AM

Here are some more interior shots...

IMG_2653.JPG IMG_2655.JPG
Two lift panel spaces
IMG_2656.JPG IMG_2659.JPG IMG_2660.JPG
Lower cabinet, where Porta Potti would normally go
IMG_2662.JPG

#4 Escapepod

Escapepod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationSeal Beach

Posted 22 March 2018 - 03:20 AM

Final shots...

IMG_2667.JPG IMG_2668.JPG IMG_2666.JPG IMG_2663.JPG IMG_2665.JPG
Added cabinet where H2O heater would have been. Water pump is around the corner to the right.
IMG_2671.JPG
Power center with 110 and 12 volt connections

Well, that's it for now. Thanks for listening.
-Jerry

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 22 March 2018 - 04:01 AM

Congrats!  Nice camper!!!

I am haunted by waters

#6 LiveLifeNow

LiveLifeNow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 March 2018 - 04:40 AM

Personally, I think it was a good move to eliminate the water heater. I removed mine after buying my used (2004) Hawk. I realized I didn't need the water heater. When I need hot water, I just fill a pot & heat it on the stove. Removing the water heater opens up a lot of storage space, as well as lightening the weight of the camper.

#7 Escapepod

Escapepod

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationSeal Beach

Posted 22 March 2018 - 04:52 AM

Personally, I think it was a good move to eliminate the water heater. I removed mine after buying my used (2004) Hawk. I realized I didn't need the water heater. When I need hot water, I just fill a pot & heat it on the stove. Removing the water heater opens up a lot of storage space, as well as lightening the weight of the camper.

Right. In the 12 years we've had our travel trailer, we used the water heater only a few times. A kettle gives us enough hot water. It's just another appliance to maintain and break down.

#8 Stokeme

Stokeme

• Members
  • 373 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted 22 March 2018 - 06:00 AM

Congrats! I have an appt. mid April for a Grandby Shell install. If, my factory ordered Ford comes in as planned. My truck is actually built now I am told. So the ETA could be a few days sooner, not holding my breath. When is the NorCal rally in Bodega Bay?

#9 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 22 March 2018 - 12:37 PM

Hello Escapepod
Congrats on you new Grandby, and the new truck.
Your gunna love it.
Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#10 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 March 2018 - 01:04 PM

Congrats! Sweet looking camper :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users