• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 31 March 2018 - 05:50 PM

I have a 2015 Hawk and the screen door latch no longer latches. It's always been marginal, but has worked, but no longer. I've adjusted it as far to the latch side as possible.

Anyone else with this problem and a solution?

Thanks

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#2 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 01 April 2018 - 05:25 AM

Hi BrianG

Pictures??
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#3 BrianG

BrianG

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 03 April 2018 - 05:48 PM

Here are a few pictures of the latch, it's the slide type. I emailed FWC and the slide latches on the 2015 Hawks were discontinued by the manufacturer. The new latches aren't compatible with the"older" doors. I've ask FWC if the new doors fit on my 2015 Hawk.

Being able to close the screen door is kin-dove important don't you think? Now that I've examined the door and how it works, its far from bug proof anyway. Lot's of gaps in the insulation, so now I know where some of the bugs are getting in.

I have a few options, I could add a metal plate to the door jam to catch the latch or I could remove the door and widen the door hinge holes to move the door closer to the latch jam.

Looking for any ideas or easy fixes.

Brian

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0402.jpg
  • IMG_0403.jpg
  • IMG_0408.jpg

2018 Ram 3500 Mega Cab 4x4 Diesel, 2015 Hawk Silver Spur Exterior, Front Dinette

#4 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 03 April 2018 - 07:11 PM

I've adjusted my 2015 Hawk's latch once.  Otherwise, hasn't been an issue. 

I'll go out and take a look-see for possible solutions.

Edited by Advmoto18, 03 April 2018 - 07:11 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#5 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:26 AM

Hello BrianG
I was thinking along the same lines as what Advmoto18. There should be some kind of adjustment or a way to get the slide moving further out. What is stopping the slide?

Russ
F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#6 Bombsight

Bombsight

• Members
  • 721 posts
  • LocationS.E. Texas

Posted 04 April 2018 - 01:32 AM

This is what FWC has installed on my 2016 Hawk. Maybe it will work for you.

https://www.amazon.c...lv_ov_lig_dp_it

#7 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 05 April 2018 - 03:13 AM

This is what FWC has installed on my 2016 Hawk. Maybe it will work for you.

https://www.amazon.c...lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Even my 2013 has something similar to that style.

I guess they must have tried something new and then went back to "what worked".

#8 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 05 April 2018 - 04:22 AM

Don't say that in the Alaskan forum ... :ph34r:...

Being able to close the screen door is kin-dove important don't you think?

I'm thinking the "add a metal plate to the door jam to catch the latch" might be worth a try if maybe you could pop rivet the plate on.

ON EDIT: never mind, deleted the rest, won't work as a two way latch

Edited by klahanie, 05 April 2018 - 12:11 PM.

#9 bfh4n

bfh4n

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationLovingston, Virginia

Posted 05 April 2018 - 01:46 PM

I was not happy with the OEM screen door latch on my 2014 Fleet, so I replaced it with magnets. There are small but very powerful ones available these days.

Two round magnets hold the screen door to the main door and a single rectangular one holds the screen door to the frame. The round ones just screwed on. I had to modify the door frame and make an aluminum bracket for the other one. Each magnet came with a steel strike plate, which I had to use because everything is aluminum. I also had to add little aluminum handle pieces to both sides of the screen door. I got the magnets from McMaster-Carr.

This arrangement is very convenient: Just pull or push the screen door to open it. I can even push it open with my foot while going out. The attraction between the main door and screen door is stronger than between the screen and frame, so when the door is opened, the screen comes with it.

It probably won't solve your insect problem but, otherwise, magnets are the way to go.

- Bernard

Edited by bfh4n, 05 April 2018 - 01:48 PM.

2014 silver Fleet front-dinette

2007 Tacoma Access Cab 4WD TRD V6 6-speed

#10 yovik

yovik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationBaja Arizona

Posted 20 October 2018 - 04:50 AM

I was not happy with the OEM screen door latch on my 2014 Fleet, so I replaced it with magnets. There are small but very powerful ones available these days.

Two round magnets hold the screen door to the main door and a single rectangular one holds the screen door to the frame. The round ones just screwed on. I had to modify the door frame and make an aluminum bracket for the other one. Each magnet came with a steel strike plate, which I had to use because everything is aluminum. I also had to add little aluminum handle pieces to both sides of the screen door. I got the magnets from McMaster-Carr.

This arrangement is very convenient: Just pull or push the screen door to open it. I can even push it open with my foot while going out. The attraction between the main door and screen door is stronger than between the screen and frame, so when the door is opened, the screen comes with it.

It probably won't solve your insect problem but, otherwise, magnets are the way to go.

- Bernard

This sounds very cool. Could you share a picture or too?
2006 Hawk, 2018 F150 XLT SuperCab 5.0 V8, 2020 Ibis Ripmo AF

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: screen, door, latch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users