15 replies to this topic

#1 Sportsman Matt

Sportsman Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:42 AM

Howdy all, I'm looking to upgrade my camper refrigerator and wondering which to get.

Right now I have an Ice Box that requires filling once a day to keep the food cold in the fridge, the original refrigerator was a Dometic 2301 LP/110AC model that after 19 years the cooling system developed some serious rot to the pipes and leaked amonia all over the place. So at the time I could only afford an ice box that filled in 80% of the hole in the cobinetry where I pulled the fridge from. But I've got my tax return back and finally biting the bullet and looking for another fridge. But I need help on this. I need it to fit in the cabinetry similar to the old ice box and original fridge did. Space is roughly 29 1/2" high x 20 1/2" wide x 19" deep. The other thing is I'm not around electricity often, so I'll be running off 12VDC from the batteries and / or propane. I've got 1 20 lb Propane tank onboard to cover the refrigerator, furnace, and 3 burner stove top. Batteries are 2 Deep Cycle 125A Wet Acid 12V from Walmart, I ran off them for 5 days without recharging and isolated from the truck, mostly lights which are now LEDs.

I've looked at Dometic 2351 and 2354, Norcold N300 and N300.3 Dual and 3 way fridges.

Any other ideas? I'm planning on being out for 4 to 5 days at a time, no electricity so 110VAC isn't a priority but available at home where I keep it parked when not on the truck on the road. So propane and Batteries aren't an issue, although one thought is that if I'm running off propane, the flame going out while driving would be an issue.

Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks

Matt
Fly Fishing the North East, New England, and Eventually the world.

#2 ScottBailey

ScottBailey

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 04 February 2009 - 04:11 AM

The auto re-lighter mod ($70) takes care of the pilot if you run propane down the road.

Here are some non-ammonia fridges to consider:

The Nova Kool 3800 (WOW! big) might fit as well as the 3000.

I think a 12v refer and solar panels may be in our future, but it's too much cash for now.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Scott Bailey -- W7SEB
2007 F350 XLT Diesel CC SRW SB 4x4
Cheap tent and a Partner Steel stove. 
Future? Really like the Hiatus, but I'm broke AF, so dreaming about a DIY.
SOLD: 2008 ATC Panther:dinette, 5th wheel

#3 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:39 PM

Check out the report about two new panthers on the ATC section. His fridge is a Dometic designed for marine use and the dimensions are near your limits.

#4 Sportsman Matt

Sportsman Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 11:19 PM

Thanks for the info. I just ordered a Norcold N300 2 way, LP and 110AC from PPL. They were the cheapest and most economical for right now. I'm still looking at the 12V compressor models, but the prices are far more than I can justify to spend this year. Plus with the igniter solution, I'll be in good shape on my trips as I tend to head off the beaten path in search for good trout waters.

I'm going to be looking at a Nova Kool and the Dometic / Norcold 12V compressor models later, as I'm in the beginning stages of building my own camper based on the 1955 Popular Mechanics Encyclopedia article "House trailer" If you want to see the pics of the article, check out www.sportsmanmattoutdoors.blogspot.com

I'm planning on that one being similar to the Alaskan Jr in a 8 or 10 foot length, only no pop up, just a box design that fits in and out of the truck. I'm also planning on possibly using it as an Ice Shanty, drive it out on the ice, drop it in place on the ice, have 1 or 2 cut outs in the floor for the holes, heater, fridge, lights, stove, a dinette that turns into a bed.... plenty of ideas.

Thanks for the info.

Matt

#5 Sportsman Matt

Sportsman Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 02:48 PM

The new Norcold N300 was delivered Monday, as I was notified today by my father on the phone. So now as soon as the Ice and Snow melts off, i can get the camper out and get the new fridge in.

Still working on the camper project, lots of notes, planning, and even more notes. The nice part is when I'm done I'll have the setup I want, and have fun with it.

#6 Sportsman Matt

Sportsman Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 12:24 PM

Here's an update on the installation of the new Norcold N300 refrigerator.

Pulled the door of the camper, way too many screws (actually 50 total) and surprisingly the 20 year old putty tape still holds strong.

Removed the ice box and the spacer that it was sitting on,

And carefully slid the new refrigerator into place after removing the front door because of clearance issues.

Reinstalled the door with new putty tape and longer screws (the old ones just spin in place and don't grab anything)

Screwed the refrigerator flange to the cabinet wall, and hooked up the propane.

Now all that's left is to hook up the 110AC and 12V DC before I can fire it up.

Hopefully I'll have it done by the weekend.

#7 sjv

sjv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 07:27 PM

The Norcold N300's are a good choice for absortion type. They are pretty simple and old school. This means that they practically use no electricity when running on propane. The fancy Dometic I used to have in my old Elkhorn camper would drain the battery in a few days due to the electronics! Outfitter also likes the N300's as the pilot tends to stay lit while on the road.

-steve
2009 Outfitter Apex 9.5 + 2006 Dodge 2500 2WD

#8 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,103 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 March 2018 - 01:25 AM

Thought I'd resurrect this thread instead of starting a new one (since this one is nicely tucked into a sticky thread).

I need to replace my refrigerator.  I've narrowed it down to three choices (all 3.0 cu ft):

Nova Kool R3100 DC

Virtifrigo C90IBD4

Isotherm Cruise 85 Elegance

Anyone that has one of these refrigerators could you please tell what you like/dislike about them and also how many watts or amps it uses in 24 hours.  Also if you think AC/DC is worth an extra $50 - $80.

Anyone know where I can get the best price on any of these?

Thanks, jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#9 hebegebe

hebegebe

• Members
  • 234 posts
  • LocationLA and San Diego

Posted 02 March 2018 - 01:45 AM

I have a nova kook that I’m happy with. Not 1 problem in 5 yrs mine is 12v only. Got it from outfitter in San Diego who picked up the shipping from Canada

#10 Bluedog

Bluedog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:38 PM

I replaced my older three way fridge with an Engel unit. SR70f is the model number. It runs great on my battery and solar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users