• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ProfessorChaos

ProfessorChaos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:15 PM

When I order my pop up truck camper I will order one without an air conditioner. I live in a climate where you don't need one that much plus considering the cost and weight it just doesn't seem worth it. On saying that we do go through some stretches of hot weather in fact last summer was hotter than normal. I have heard of steam coolers, arctic air, and portable air conditioners that campers have used and would like to know what members opinions of them were. Are they worth it?

#2 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:34 PM

I made one of those 12volt swamp coolers in a 10 gallon plastic bucket. It seemed to work great on my back porch. Didn't seem to work well at all in the field. Hopefully, someone else will post with some workable ideas. I don't need one often, but a few times it would be nice.

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#3 snwbdr94

snwbdr94

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 10 April 2018 - 02:09 PM

IMO, I would wait and camp first to see if it will be something you even need.  Everyone has different tolerances but in my experience in Minnesota, having the camper up with the canvas windows unzipped, it's sufficient enough to keep it cool inside.  That may or may not be the case!  When you order your pop up, will it come with a vent fan?  That also will help vent out the hot air.  Good luck!

#4 JCatt

JCatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne IN

Posted 11 April 2018 - 08:04 AM

I open the roof vent, fan out, and open the tie down trap doors. Seems to get a little air moving and cool things off a bit, but we haven’t camped in 100 degree weather.

2014 FWC Hawk

#5 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 743 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:25 PM

I open the roof vent, fan out, and open the tie down trap doors. Seems to get a little air moving and cool things off a bit, but we haven’t camped in 100 degree weather.

Just don't forget little critters, e.g., mice, can climb into your truck bed and get into the camper through those tie-down doors. They are most active at night. You've been warned ;-)

Don't ask me how they do it. They can climb anything it seems. I was leaving the sliding rear window in my cab open to help keep it cool in summer and discovered a mouse had made a nest in a Kleenex box in the cab!

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#6 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:46 PM

Just don't forget little critters, e.g., mice, can climb into your truck bed and get into the camper through those tie-down doors. They are most active at night. You've been warned ;-)

Don't ask me how they do it. They can climb anything it seems. I was leaving the sliding rear window in my cab open to help keep it cool in summer and discovered a mouse had made a nest in a Kleenex box in the cab!

Toss a couple of rubber snakes under the truck...that will keep the little critters at bay.

Learned this at OX-West about 4 years ago.  Noticed ground squirrels climbing on my front tire and disappearing.  Next day, popped the hood and they had already hauled off half of the air conditioner/compressor insulation cover to use in their hidy holes!  Someone gave me a rubber snake, they had several, I tossed it on the ground, under the engine, and that stopped the critters from coming near my truck.

Edited by Advmoto18, 11 April 2018 - 01:46 PM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

#7 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:20 PM

Yep, see how it feels first before investing in air conditions etc.  I think allot depends on where you use your pop-up! From what I hear those on the Gulf Coast probably need one, but us out west ('cept maybe in Death Valley) really don't.  Like allot of others,  I leave my arctic liner in year round, try to park in the shade, use that neat little roof fan (really works), and have both a small battery fan and one of those larger plug in ones for those real hot nights and to  keep the dog cool. Rubber snakes and little critters aside, I do keep those tie down openings open, but still sounds like good advise unless you have a resident field kitty on board.

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 11 April 2018 - 02:33 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#8 ProfessorChaos

ProfessorChaos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:03 AM

Thanks for all the advice.

#9 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 12 April 2018 - 01:30 AM

You have 4 large screen windows a screened egress window and a roof vent, so 6 in total.

In addition to that some members have made screens for their turnbuckle doors.

Ventilation is not an issue in a FWC.

As others try things out first.

I have the arctic pack inside my FWC year round.  That can also aid in keep things cooler during the summer.

#10 Advmoto18

Advmoto18

• Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationCoastal Low Country, SC

Posted 12 April 2018 - 11:53 AM

Thermal pack does work well...in both winter AND summer! 

As long as their is little to no humidity (like the stifling variety we have in NC and SC) we found nights rather comfortable out west.  Mainly due to the wide temperature variation between high noon and midnight...and little to no humidity.  I guess it is a matter of what you're acclimated too.

Camping in the southeast is unbearable from May through August without an AC.  We now have a Climate Right AC unit for beach camping in the summer down here.  Must have either a generator or shore power.

I talked to the Climate Right owner and requested an AC unit without the heat pump, but, they were unable to make such a unit.  As such I am going to have my local HVAC guru take a look at the unit and see if we can remove the heat pump without adversely affecting the AC portion in order to save some weight.

Edited by Advmoto18, 12 April 2018 - 11:54 AM.

South Carolina Low Country.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users