26 replies to this topic

#1 Mike from Canada

Mike from Canada

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 04:25 PM

Hi folks, quick or maybe long question.
We are going to be ordering a camper for our truck and live in Canada.

It is far easier for us to get to Montana or other Northern states than deal with a dealer in BC or Ontario.

FWC tells us there is a "Canadian Package" to accommodate our "harsh winters" and "Mandatory modifications to the propane system" both of which are required according to them. It would seem to me our winters are no harsher than those of Northern States. Is this a cash grab by the Canadian FWC dealer or legit?
Thanks!

Edited by Johnycanuck, 18 April 2018 - 01:38 PM.

#2 Kali

Kali

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:10 PM

I'm not Canadian, but I thought Canada had a slightly different spec of Propane systems. Call FWC direct. Pete or Stan will answer that question legitimately.

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:10 PM

Seems both Ontario and BC have regulations that apply to RV's with on board propane tanks, and a requirement for these reg's to be upheld whenever the unit changes hands.  

https://www.technica...stems-compliant

https://fuelslc.com/...ional-vehicles/

http://mvsabc.com/v1...anesafe-fnl.pdf

I bought mine used in UTAH and had no issues at the border when bringing it in.

#4 sportsman

sportsman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:19 PM

we were living in Nort Vancouver, and bought a used fleet in WA.  We had no issues with the propane bringing it back into BC. We had also looked into the "Canadian Package" requirements when doing research, so far as I remember it was essentially the arctic pak. We had the Arctic Pak in the Fleet, and when we upsized from Fleet to a New Hawk shell, we also included the arctic pak (we now live in Oakland).   We do a lot of camping in the snow for ski season, and camping in the warmth for the rest of the year's activities.  Arctic pak is great for cold, and also for keeping it 'cooler' during the summers.

Dodge 1500 with 4WC Hawk Shell

#5 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:31 PM

Don't know myself. There is a member on here who was pretty high on the Vancouver dealer, hopefully that member will be along shortly because I bet he'll know.

If you are planing on insuring the camper a CDN propane system certification might be desirable if indeed it is part of the package and your insurer cares.

#6 Mike from Canada

Mike from Canada

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:37 PM

Thanks everyone. We are likely going to go with the Canadian dealer, just wondering if there was a reason for the added thousand or so dollars over above buying it in the US. Insurance is a big deal for us especially given the replacement cost!

#7 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,058 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:46 PM

Johnycanuck- 

Your post reminded me I've seen more details on the Canadian package somewhere.....

Found it.  It appears the Canadian package includes upgraded jack brackets, propane mods, upgraded latches/gutters, and dealer prep.

The jack brackets are included standard on the Raven (in the US) and aluminum ones are a $150 upgrade.  I assume the Canadian package specifies the aluminum brackets.  If you're convinced you don't need them, fine.  But if you do, you'd need to add the option to the US price to compare apples to apples.

I'd love to know more detail on the propane system changes.  My first thought was it just means the tanks have to have Transport Canada markings and perhaps FWC no longer provides those for US customers. (I say 'no longer' because my 2001 tank has both sets of markings.  And I saw a post here on WtW where a member had been refused a refill in Canada for lack of Transport Canada tank markings).    But there may be more to it than that.  There may also be a requirement for an inspection of the entire propane system by a trained and certified tech who then issues the decal and paperwork indicating the system (not just the tank) meets Canadian safety standards.

The non or low-rusting latches are a surprise and I don't even know what the gutters would be.

Edited by Old Crow, 17 April 2018 - 09:19 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#8 arg

arg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:22 PM

just collecting information (and I also have spoken with the Canadian distributor);

Canadian modification package (= $500 USD)

- bracket upgrade for the connection of the camper to the jacks (reason - corrosion)

- upgrade of the latches (reason- corrosion)

- propane plumbing upgrade inside the camper (reason - Canada requirement

- I am not sure if the gutters are now standard on all new FWC, but that is because of the rain-forest called the PNW, or in local jargon, the wet coast

Buy local - get to speak with the rep, get advice (this alone could save $)

Buy distant - possibly save $, but factor in time, fuel, hotel, and taxes in state you purchase the unit in, plus taxes at border

And to be clear, I am a reader of this site as I am intending to settle on a camper and a pick-up truck that will serve my needs, and then purchase. 

Edited by arg, 17 April 2018 - 09:23 PM.

#9 Bill D

Bill D

• Members
  • 981 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:31 PM

The propane line runs on Canadian manufactured models are run outside the body of the camper in the case that a line ruptures it vents to atmosphere.  The tanks should also have TC designation (Transport Canada) as opposed to DOT tanks in the US.

I believe there is also an issue with Canadians purchasing from US FWC dealers as it obviously effects the Canadian distribution network.

I believe you also have an issue with warranty, if the dealer does not do the install on your camper.

So to answer your question... is it just a cash grab?  No.

#10 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:50 PM

Come to think of it an RV dealer/repair place could possibly make the camper compliant and certify. Importing you may only be required to pay gst or hst. I haven't heard of anyone have a problem bringing a FWC over (we didn't but that was long ago).

Agree with generally buying local if possible (not the case for the OP) but know that idea doesn't always pan out. For eg I'm sure others have wanted to buy a vehicle from a local car dealer only to have the intended plan not work out for one reason or other. If I can't seem to interest a local dealer in showing me a product then I'm prob not going to be making that easy 20, 30 min drive for purchase. Rather, I'd be going to the states, buying something else or simply doing without.

as always ymmv

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Canada

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users