2002 Eagle Reno

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:19 PM

I bought this 2002 Eagle from a fellow WTW member back in October 2017. The camper was in good shape, well kept, with some very desirable additions already done (new door, Fantastic Fan, upgraded cushions, etc.). I decided I wanted to add a fridge, heater, and dinette as mods, hence this thread....

First, the obligatory lift struts. I don't plan to put a bunch of stuff on the roof, but I am not getting any younger and I do want my wife to be able to lift the roof if necessary. It was necessary to relocate the roof clamps on the front to get the struts to fit. After the struts were in place, no worry about the roof coming down without help from me.

Then the fridge. I chose the small 3 way from Dometic and cut the openings for the vents in the side of the camper with my trusty multi tool. The frame for the camper was designed with this install in mind so I had a firm framework to use as a guide for the cuts. In addition, there were electrical and propane leads into the compartment. Thanks FWC.

RoofLiftsSm.jpg FridgeRoughSm.jpg FridgeVentsSm.jpg

2006 Tacoma, '66 AS Caravel,  2002 Eagle

#2 thewwkayaker

thewwkayaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationNorth Vancouver, BC

Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:31 PM

Fantastic - how do you know where to cut without hitting a frame member? Or where to mount the struts such that you DO hit a frame member?

#3 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 04:39 PM

While I was at it, I bought some neoprene backed sealing washers and resealed the roof with the washers and urethane sealant.

Next, the dinette. The basic structure was two boxes made of 1/2" plywood using the sides of the camper to complete the box and seat supports made of 1/2" plywood placed on cleats in the boxes. I reused many of the angles originally used in the couch box that was in the camper to secure the seat boxes to the floor and walls of the camper. A cut down Lagun table mount and a table made from 3/4" plywood that we had covered with laminate by a local shop completed the structure. We ordered 4" foam and my wife made covers for the back and seat cushions (thanks Sail Rite!). Battery placed in the front 'box' completed the dinette phase.

Dinette1Sm.jpg Dinette2Sm.jpg DinetteFloorFinishSM.jpg

#4 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:03 PM

For the fridge, I knew the dimensions of the vents so I cut inside the area I knew would be cut out and located the frame from there. I marked the outside panels where I was going to cut and was able to slide the multi tool blade along the frame to make a fairly clean cut.

As for the struts, the door frame is pretty substantial in back (I looked to see how other mounted struts). The roof has a wide band of aluminum around the edge so no sweat there, and the front of the camper also has a wide band that the locking clips attach to and which cantilevers out to support the bed. The only problem is that the horizontal distance between the strut mounts for each strut must be more than the collapsed length of the strut, otherwise the struts cannot collapse.

#5 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:17 PM

Now the heater. Once again there were electrical leads in place for the heater. One worry gone. However, the compartment for the heater was too short for any of the furnaces usually put there (Marty at ATC said they had had to lengthen the compartment recently for today's furnaces.) so I turned to Propex for heat. The smaller Propex fit into the space I had with the only problem being the need to keep the intake and exhaust pipes the factory length. It puts out about 6000 btu of heat. I am not planning to camp in very cold weather, so 6000 btu should be good.

I decided to add a grab handle to the back (getting older, here) and to run the water drain out to the rear of the camper, and with that, the camper is ready to go.

HeaterSm.jpg GrabHandle.jpg WaterDrain1.jpg WaterDrain2.jpg

#6 Argonaut20

Argonaut20

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 05:22 PM

One last shot of the interior showing the fridge door, the thermostat for the ProPex, and the panel I put in for USB and 12V ports as well as a 12V readout.

FridgePanelsSM.jpg

#7 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 21 April 2018 - 02:55 PM

Argonaut20,

Just wanted to compliment you on your Eagle reno, looks really nice and well done. I like the layout, and the flooring is appealing as well.

You mentioned you cut down the Lagun table mount, and I can see the height was shortened. Did you also make it narrower too? If you did, would you mind snapping a photo of the underside? I’m planning a similar layout with my side dinette, and incorporating a Lagan table moun, and I’m curious what yours entailed.

Thanks,

Poky

1999 F250 crew cab SRW, 7.3 Powerstroke TD

1981 Grandby shortened to a Hawk

Build thread / https://www.wanderth...by-into-a-hawk/

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 21 April 2018 - 04:13 PM

Nice work Argonaut20! Great camper getting even better!

I am haunted by waters

#9 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:13 PM

Nice work,you did a great job on the dinette.

Also the floor covering will work well.Is it a laminate floor?

Frank.

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 21 April 2018 - 08:46 PM

I was just looking over some of my original posts from when I got my Bobcat in Dec 09.

I remember when I ordered it in Sept 09 that Marty was telling me about the first Bobcat/dinette

and I thought that it was yours,Argonaut20 ,when did you get rid of it?

Your past work with the dinette was a great help with your current one.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users