12 replies to this topic

#1 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:04 AM

This was my first solo trip.  I needed to get back to Dallas to see my 93 year old mother who got the flu in early February.  A month ago when we visited she was back in the hospital, so our visit was short.  This was the first time both of my sisters and I were together since our fathers memorial in May 2011.

I decided to make the entire drive to Dallas on backroads, no interstate highways until I left Palo Duro Canyon for home.  I ended up on the expressway inside Dallas.  It was fun on the backroads, slow paced, little traffic, and time to smell the flowers and see our beautiful country.

Click on the link and enjoy the ride along.

Texas Panhandle

JD

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#2 MarkBC

MarkBC

The Weatherman

• Site Team
  • 6,592 posts
  • LocationBend, Oregon

Posted 27 April 2018 - 12:19 AM

Wow, what perfect timing for me! I'm in Hot Springs NP now and will be passing up through the TX panhandle tomorrow or the next day (on the way to CO...and home). I've been looking at both Caprock and Palo Duro on the Web this evening...And then your report pops up in my email!
Thanks for the report. :)

FWC Hawk (2005) on a Ford F250 Supercab, 6.8L V10 gas (2000)

#3 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 27 April 2018 - 11:20 AM

Wow, what perfect timing for me! I'm in Hot Springs NP now and will be passing up through the TX panhandle tomorrow or the next day (on the way to CO...and home). I've been looking at both Caprock and Palo Duro on the Web this evening...And then your report pops up in my email!
Thanks for the report. :)

We will be returning. The weather was nice, cool for sleeping

#4 CougarCouple

CougarCouple

• Members
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:15 PM

Nice trip report longhorn1, will say you did ok w/o your better half. Thanks for taking the time to post.
Russ

Edited by CougarCouple, 27 April 2018 - 07:21 PM.

F250 extended cab, Cougar from ATC. You guys rock thank you!

#5 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:34 PM

I enjoyed your report. I enjoy traveling with company more than solo also. Interesting trailers. Best wishes to your Mom.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#6 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 27 April 2018 - 01:38 PM

Nice report JD!  I've traversed the "ski jump" bridges over the Ohio and the Mississippi at Cairo, Ill before.  They're quite the experience, aren't they?  And yes, Cairo is a sad little city these days.  I passed through in 2002 and 2010 and I think the same people were sitting on the same porch steps each time, with the same intimidating expressions.  

I LIKE that trailer!

Foy

#7 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:12 PM

Thanks for the report from TX, JD!  I thought the tame, amazingly fat roadrunners in Palo Duro SP acted more like chickens during my trip there last year.   They came within three feet of me, pecking and scratching, while I was quietly sitting in my camp chair.  Have yet to visit Cap Rock SP.  Thanks for the photo incentives. 

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#8 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 09:39 PM

Thanks for the report from TX, JD! I thought the tame, amazingly fat roadrunners in Palo Duro SP acted more like chickens during my trip there last year. They came within three feet of me, pecking and scratching, while I was quietly sitting in my camp chair. Have yet to visit Cap Rock SP. Thanks for the photo incentives.

I have 2 reasons to return to both, first I want to share this part of Texas with my wife, and second, there is so much more to explore. jd

Edited by longhorn1, 02 May 2018 - 09:40 PM.

#9 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:45 PM

I have 2 reasons to return to both, first I want to share this part of Texas with my wife, and second, there is so much more to explore. jd

Yep, I'll be heading back to the Panhandle, too.  Let me know when you'll next be there, JD.

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#10 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:25 PM

Yep, I'll be heading back to the Panhandle, too. Let me know when you'll next be there, JD.

Will do

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users