• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 659 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:05 PM

2017 DCSB with 6MT and FWC Swift full camper. 2 inch lift standard shocks and airbags. Stock tires. Getting about 15mpg average. Agreed the range bothers me just as much as the lackluster MPG. The only full size that will beat this would be F-150 ecoboost but almost any lift or tire/wheel increase will quickly put it back to this range. 

I brooded about this for months before buying this rig. The colorado diesel will beat it hands down but as you will see in the other forums it comes at a price. An older full size diesel will beat it too but will be rolling coal and modified.

It is just difficult to have an adventure vehicle get out of the mid teens. 

The Tacoma is no powerhouse and despite the cult following has nothing super special about it technically.

I ultimately just went with what was the most fun to drive and the Taco with manual transmission won hands down. There is a lot of chatter about he Orange Virus tune which apparently transforms the drive-ability and eeks out another 1.5 mpg

my 2014 F150 (super crew 6.5 bed) with a 5.0 liter V8 consistently gets 16 + with camper.  Can easily get more if I keep it under 70.. Moab to Denver last trip set cruise at 68 and got 19 mpg. I have heard the EcoBoost suffers more when hauling and towing. I love Tacomas and would drive one if the underpowered engine would deliver better fuel economy, I find it strange that a smaller truck does so poorly (my good friend has one).. I also find the seats uncomfortable for longer trips. 

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#22 moveinon

moveinon

• Members
  • 156 posts
  • LocationMilwaukie Oregon

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:18 PM

I have an automatic transmission and 265/70/17 tires, stock is 265/65/17.  On the speedometer it is about 3 MPH difference.  I took advantage of a sale on this size, otherwise I planned to go a bit narrower tire with the 70 height.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mpg, mileage, fwc, tacoma, toyota

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users