13 replies to this topic

#1 mrfritz44

mrfritz44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 May 2018 - 10:38 AM

My daughter has been appointed to Air Force Academy and we're planning a week long trip in June just prior to her induction day. She's never been to Utah, but loved the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs. I've been to Utah a couple times and told her "she ain't seen nothin yet".

We'll be heading out of Denver to Moab with 4 to 5 days to kill. My preliminary plan is to spend a little time in Moab, primitive camp the Needles Overlook, then head south to Valley of the Gods. On our way back to Colorado Springs I'm thinking Greats Sand Dunes Park is worth a stop.

This is admittedly aggressive, but what other attractions should we consider? Also, I've only been to Utah in May so I'm concerned about heat in mid to late June. If there are camp sites, primitive or otherwise, with an oasis to swim in that might be ideal. I'm just not sure where to find one without some serious hoofing. Which brings me to my next constraint, my wife's bad foot. We'll be limited to mile or so hikes so 4WD car camping is our goal for this trip.

Please help me make my daughter's last days as a civilian memorable ones! [emoji4]

Fred

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 02 May 2018 - 02:08 PM

Fred, congrats on your daughter’s appointment to the Air Force Academy!

So much to see in that area. I’ll let the experts weigh in.

I am haunted by waters

#3 Alvis

Alvis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 02 May 2018 - 02:12 PM

On the return trip East, Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park is a pretty spot as well.

2015 F150 Supercab 6.5 foot bed 2.7

2016 ATC Ocelot side dinette

http://alvisontheroad.blogspot.com/

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,320 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 02 May 2018 - 03:26 PM

Fred, congrats on your daughter’s appointment to the Air Force Academy!

Yes, congratulations!

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 02 May 2018 - 04:37 PM

Congrats on the appointment!

Look at Indian Creek Falls out Lockhart Basin Rd as a place to possibly camp, there is some dispersed camping nearby and the creak/falls can make for a nice swim spot if there's water flowing.  You could go up (vertically) through Beef Basin and come out to the south towards Valley of the Gods and then loop back north.  Temps in Beef Basin will be more moderate but if it rains getting in  and out can be problematic.

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#6 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 03 May 2018 - 12:25 AM

Haven't been there since the mid 90s but Dead Horse Point State Park near Moab was one of my fav places. I was there in early May and was able to camp there without a reservation - don't think that's possible anymore. But, it's a great place to see just for the incredible views.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#7 mrfritz44

mrfritz44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 01:05 AM

Mapping your suggestions. ...thanks very much for the tips!

#8 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 03 May 2018 - 02:09 PM

Also perhaps on the return trip one might consider traversing Cottonwood Pass between Gunnison and Buena Vista. The pass is at over 12,000' elevation and the views of the Collegiate Peaks on each side of the Divide are splendid.  On my sole trip across the Divide there, in June 1994, the Taylor Park (Gunnison) side was graded gravel and the BV side was paved.  We were in a rental Chevy Caprice sedan and the pass was easy-peasy. 

Cottonwood Hot Springs is an eclectic, off the wall resort right by the road part-way down the BV side. There are large and nice hot springs in and around Salida, too. There is (are) NF campgrounds at and approaching Taylor Park Reservoir at the start of the road up to the pass on the Gunnison side.  High elevation and nice and cool. And if you go to Moab in late June, you may experience quite the opposite.  We did a 5-day float from Moab to Hite immediately prior to traversing Cottonwood Pass enroute back to DEN and it was +100 deg F every afternoon on the river.

Congrats on the appointment!  

Foy

Edited by Foy, 03 May 2018 - 02:14 PM.

#9 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 04 May 2018 - 05:23 PM

Check our blog, we spent 17 days in Colorado last Sept/Oct. Rocky Mountain National Park, Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP, Mesa Verde NP, Great Sand Dunes NP, and the town of Telluride, Million Dollar Scenic Byeway.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#10 mrfritz44

mrfritz44

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:09 AM

Checking your blog longhorn, and thanks for the colorado leads Foy.

Does anyone know if it's possible to drive backcountry roads from Moab to the Needles Overlook? There looks to be roads like Rt132 but they're cut off by the elevation. I'd like to avoid the highway if at all possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users