28 replies to this topic

#21 LiveLifeNow

LiveLifeNow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:02 PM

For the past couple of weeks I have been camping in northern New Mexico, getting ready to head for Flagstaff to attend the Overland Expo West.

I thought Albuquerque was a bit grim, but I have been enthralled by the superb campsites, climate, convenient shopping, sightseeing and friendly people of Santa Fe, Taos and currently Los Alamos. I am eager to experience more of this beautiful state.

#22 Tuff Guy 62

Tuff Guy 62

• Members
  • 827 posts
  • LocationArizona Rim Country

Posted 15 May 2018 - 08:32 PM

Great report Bill.

Just got back from El Malpais myself. In addition we side swiped, Bonita Canyon, Zuni Canyon, Bisti Badlalands, Aztec Ruins and Pueblo Pintado. Also made sure to include the Crownpoint Rug Auction last Friday based on one of your earlier blog posts. That tip was much appreciated and we came home with three fine pieces of art to hang on our walls.

Stay cool and "keep on truckin"

2000 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 liter V8

2019 Ram 2500 6.4 liter Hemi

2015 ATC Custom Panther Shell

When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Berra

#23 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 742 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 20 May 2018 - 03:22 PM

For the past couple of weeks I have been camping in northern New Mexico, getting ready to head for Flagstaff to attend the Overland Expo West.

I thought Albuquerque was a bit grim, but I have been enthralled by the superb campsites, climate, convenient shopping, sightseeing and friendly people of Santa Fe, Taos and currently Los Alamos. I am eager to experience more of this beautiful state.

Fortunately, I live down near the river north of the Albuquerque city limits, so I don't have to deal with the traffic and issues of the city. Lots to love in NM, especially northern NM. Enjoy the Expo.

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#24 Bosque Bill

Bosque Bill

• Members
  • 742 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 20 May 2018 - 03:33 PM

Just got back from El Malpais myself. In addition we side swiped, Bonita Canyon, Zuni Canyon, Bisti Badlalands, Aztec Ruins and Pueblo Pintado. Also made sure to include the Crownpoint Rug Auction last Friday based on one of your earlier blog posts. That tip was much appreciated and we came home with three fine pieces of art to hang on our walls.

Sounds like a wonderful NM tour! Congratulations on your acquisition of fine hand-woven Navajo rugs! (I favor the Velco method of hanging, FYI.) I just bought a little one at Teec Nos Pos last week. I intended to place it on a table on which to sit a few pieces of my pueblo pottery, now I'm not sure I want to cover even a bit of its simple beauty.

"I'm not an expert; I'm an enthusiast!" - New Mexico, U.S.A - The Land of Enchantment

http://bosquebill.blogspot.com My Travel Blog

http://www.bosquebill.com My New Mexico Website

2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab SR5 V6 4x4 - 2013 FWC Fleet

#25 Stray Dog

Stray Dog

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCanon City, Colorado

Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:52 PM

Bill,  I had noted this trip report the first time I'd read it but recently read it again.  I had been intending to search for the red-faced warbler for a couple of years and your trip report reminded me.  I put together an itinerary using E-bird reports and spend a few wonderful days in your neighborhood last week.  I focused my efforts on the Emory Pass area because of the most recent e-bird reports.  Railroad Canyon and Iron Springs.  Gallinas as well.  The Gila NF campgrounds in the area are great.  Very small numbers of sites (RR Canyon had only 3), sheltered from the highway even though it's lightly traveled.  No fee is always welcome.  Free-grazing we call it.

No RF-W in Railroad Canyon though I stayed two nights and hiked the canyon twice.  I did have other success:  Painted Redstart males, Olive Warblers and Grace's Warbler and Dusky Flycatcher and many other more common species.  I had planned a final stop at a final site, on the way home.  Water Canyon.  I got there in the early am, decided not to drive the road to the observatory because I rapidly left the habitat I was inspecting.  I parked at one of the dispersed sites you mentioned and began walking up the (dry) creekbed.  At a point water surfaced in the sand I heard a small bird.  In another moment a bright male RF-W bounced in front of me at eye level in a small Ponderosa pine.  The bird was willing to give me a great look before taking off for business elsewhere.  I did check out the nice little campground but didn't stay.  I took off for another location.  Wonderful time, great weather.  Thanks for the reminder.

I have noted other in other posts great consternation over the crowding so many deal with.  If you are looking for great places, no crowds, wonderful vistas and (slightly) developed campgrounds and dispersed camping opportunities check out Bill's neighborhood.  It has lots to offer.  History, National Park sites, Southwest vegetation not seen other places, great vistas, fabulous weather, wildlife, small friendly towns and little crowding.  It's great.

#26 LAWNMOWERMAN

LAWNMOWERMAN

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 05:19 PM

I saw in your trip report that you did not think  that the Gila River was on the CDT but indeed it is an alternet route and considered official CDT miles.I was at Snow Lake and Valle Tio Vinces campground doing trail majic a couple weeks ago.It was a blast and met alot of real charcters.Great trip report.

2017 Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad / 2014 ATC Bobcat / Tucson,Az

#27 la_morris

la_morris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 27 May 2019 - 05:21 PM

Bosque Bill and Stray Dog, 

Appreciate the camping/bird reports. I'm hoping to camp in NM later this summer. Any other suggestions of birdy spots high enough to be cool at night would be much appreciated. I'll check ebird, but I'm not familiar with roads and campsites in NM. Thanks.

#28 la_morris

la_morris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:18 PM

Found the NM Audubon link to the NM Birding Trail -- looks like what I need.

#29 Stray Dog

Stray Dog

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationCanon City, Colorado

Posted 28 May 2019 - 06:11 AM

Get yourself a good state road atlas.  I like the Benchmark series.  Pair that with some of the most recent e-bird range reports for a target species and you're ready to go.  Don't forget to try the great chow available all over the state.  Maybe include some of the culture sites you'll come across.   If you're in the area hit the Bosque del Apache National Wildlife area for a great opportunity to see indigenous birds and other critters.   I know they used to say this about Texas but it's probably more appropriate for New Mexico.  "It's like a whole other country".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users