12 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,335 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:50 AM

This was a bit of a different trip for us, a new experience. We did not travel far but had a heck of a good time. The story is posted on our blog and can be found here -

Volcano & Indian Grinding Rock, California - April 2018

Hope you enjoy coming along with us! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,584 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 03 May 2018 - 04:52 AM

Looks like an atypical Ski3Pin trip, but a really nice one. Great park, and Volcano looks like a super interesting place. Were you tempted to try the moose milk?

Thanks for sharing!

Oh, and congrats to Cathy on here upcoming retirement and new life as an RV owner! Let me know when you’re doing the blueberry pancakes...

I am haunted by waters

#3 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:10 PM

Never seen so many Native mortars in one spot!  Thanks for the photos. 

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#4 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 03 May 2018 - 03:50 PM

I enjoyed your report. Seems the ladies missed an excellent chance to test the new trailer's kitchen by making blueberry pancakes for you- another lesson learned. :P Oh well, maybe next time...

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#5 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 03 May 2018 - 07:31 PM

Worked allot of years in that country both in and before BLM and your TR brings back allot of good memories and stories. Seems to me (I think) that some time in the deep dark past, I worked on a project  with BLM in the 70's that transferred some Public land to the  the Grinding Rock site. That place is really interesting and as an interpretive/educational  site is very well done and one of the best-we need more of these. Ah the memories!!! Thanks guys!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,293 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 03 May 2018 - 08:14 PM

Back in the late 80's we went to the Volcano/Indian Grinding Rock several times.

Really impressed with the Grinding Rock SP.

Also saw a couple shows at the play house.Great times and nice to see them all these years latyer.

Thanks for the nice report and taking the time to share.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,018 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 03 May 2018 - 10:20 PM

Brought back memories. Been a long long time since I've been there. Looks like its been improved in the intervening years.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#8 GroovyDad

GroovyDad

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 04 May 2018 - 09:25 PM

That is a nice, quick trip and those are always better than no trip at all.  I can't think of two better people to get Cathy on the right track for her camping future.

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." —John Muir. http://aimlessroamer.blogspot.com/

#9 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 05 May 2018 - 12:38 AM

Ski, nothing like a good interpretive/educational trip. Very interesting place. We have found these type of trips to be very relaxing and grasping every bit of history one can uncover. Thanks for sharing. jd

Edited by longhorn1, 06 May 2018 - 10:09 PM.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,335 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:00 PM

Looks like an atypical Ski3Pin trip, but a really nice one. Great park, and Volcano looks like a super interesting place. Were you tempted to try the moose milk?

Thanks for sharing!

Oh, and congrats to Cathy on here upcoming retirement and new life as an RV owner! Let me know when you’re doing the blueberry pancakes...

Thanks Mr. Sage! No moose milk for us .........unless we come upon a moose and get a stupid idea of trying to milk it. Don't suspect that'd happen.

Never seen so many Native mortars in one spot!  Thanks for the photos. 

Yes, they say the largest in North America.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users