• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#11 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,554 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:43 PM

So much for airing the rig out, woke up to snow this morning. Took a peak inside and everything is dry and fine in there so I'll just need to wait till the exterior melts/drys off to close it back up.

Posted Image

Also I was going to call my insurance today to get the truck and camper added. I only have this small tag on the camper and don't have a manufacturer tag. Based on your rigs serial numbers does 20297-H (atleast that is what I think it says) sound about right?

Posted Image

#12 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,554 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 09 February 2009 - 04:48 PM

Pods...
About space above the roof... I have a Grandby on a dodge 2500 and barely have 2 inches above the roof. It's never hit the roof, even with some serious rock driving. Truck seems to flex side to side rather than front to back. I did have to raise the camper about 3/4 of an inch to get the above clearance, and that was easy with it sitting on a piece of plywood covered with carpet.

If that would be all to add that would be nice, right now my overall height is at 7'-3" and I'm still under the 7'6" for "oversized" rig on ferries. ;)

I like the new set up it looks like they our a good match.:thumb:
Same thing happened to me with the water spicket.I use pliers and turn it slow now.

The hot spring pools look smaller then I remember is there another one that is bigger? I last went there when I lived out there 15 years ago near port angles.Time to wander back there now.

I'll just go pick up a replacement that hasn't been beaten by the sun for some years and I should be good to go.

Yeah there are a number of pools, those just happened to be some I took pictures of (camera was on the fritz in the cold).

pods,

Way to go, truck, camper, and a trip in the same week, I guess all the homework does pay off. I'll be looking forward to seeing your future mods. Enjoy

Yeah I tend to do alot of front end homework which can get a bit overwhelming but it allows me to execute the plan rather rapidly/throughly.

#13 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:25 PM

Mine also has an inch and a half of cab clearance. Its never been a problem. Spend the buck and a half for a new spigot. Just remember to get the right hose size. Took me two trips to the rv store on my old camper because I just guesstimated the size.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#14 mtn-high

mtn-high

Campground Host- FUNKYTOWN

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • LocationHoward, CO

Posted 10 February 2009 - 12:16 AM

Very nice rig, pods. I'm glad your search panned out...and ENDED. LOL.

I'm envious of the 1.5 inch gap. For what is supposedly tthe most popular combo on the road (Hawk/Tundra), there's an excessive amount of space up there, for sure. Gonna have to find an airfoil/rack or something for mine...

See ya on the road!

mtn

#15 Bseek

Bseek

Gypsy Feet

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationSonora, Ca Sierra Foothills

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:01 AM

I think the best use of the extra space was shown here, a slide out solar panel. Very cool

http://www.wanderthe...hread.php?t=925

Great job lqhikers.
Subaru Outback Gypsy Wagon
2013 Toyota Tacoma DCLB : 2015 ATC Bobcat shell
By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#16 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,554 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:27 AM

Dug into things today. I ordered an SRT10 stock pillar for my truck which has a gauge slot my transmission temperature gauge/manifold should be here this week to install. I started seeing what needs replacement as I make my way through modifications. The 120V exterior plug is busted up but I'll need to snag one later in the week. The rear roof support has some rivets that must have pulled out as its a bit tweaked, I'll need to look into how to fix that up. I made a piece of wood for under the entrance threshold to support the Al a bit more and will stain that up and fasten it down. Dug into the wall to verify whether the camper had the frame members in place to support a slide out and it did so I lucked out there and didn't need to add any wood or such in there. Cut and mocked up all the pieces before pulling them down to sand and stain. Part way through sanding before calling it good for now. I'll likely finish that up tomorrow and see if I'm happy with the color of any of my stained test pieces and if so I'll likely start staining.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#17 b team

b team

• Members
  • 252 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:39 AM

Very nice! Keep everything in one thread. :D I think i'm at around 1.5" roof/camper clearance. The eagle is on a 2500 5.9l and never hits the roof (except that one time the eye bolt pulled out). The dodge has a very stiff frame and doesn't flex.

Looking forward to seeing all the mods. I don't know what is more fun... Working on the camper or enjoying the finished project out camping.
Free and Easy Down the Road I Go 2003 Eagle

#18 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,554 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:27 AM

I don't know what is more fun... Working on the camper or enjoying the finished project out camping.

As a tinkerer both should be sweet however ideally not overlapping at in opportune times. :eek:

2022 F350 7.3L; family trailer at the moment and some aluminum stuck together to eventually form another truck camper

#19 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,554 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 26 February 2009 - 04:40 AM

My air springs showed up yesterday, I preassembled them yesterday (20min?) then put them in today (1-1.5hrs till tires back on or so). It started hailing then raining on me and I was sick of dealing with cold fingers so I packed it in once the wheels were back on the ground, I'll route the airlines tomorrow and leak test them. Overall went on fine and was an easy enough kit. The bolts that came in the kit could have been of a higher grade but in reality they shouldn't have to be working too hard to restrict movement based on the design. I might look into getting some spare hardware to toss into the truck in case, shouldn't be too hard of a road repair if needed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 pods8

pods8

• Members
  • 2,554 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 28 February 2009 - 06:36 AM

Got the manifold in and wire ran, still need to figure out some wiring in the dash to get the gauge wired in. I'll keep an eye out for some bigger plastic spacer (you can see the orig hanging which is too short) to create a space between the manifold and other line but the hose should work for the meantime and provide back up once I find some spacers.

Also plumbed the air bags in the rest of the way, actually there was a convenient hole in the wheel well already that I figured I'd use so I can measure the "squat" of the truck as I air things and was a piece of cake to route to (one foot of hose). Got the rest in case I end up needing to move it down the road.

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users