8 replies to this topic

#1 Huckfest

Huckfest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationTahoe

Posted 07 May 2018 - 04:39 AM

I found a 2012 Grandby for sale but is in need of some repair. All four jack mounts are considerably bent or tourn off. The front wall has some waves in it that needs to be addressed. The inside is almost all there but needs some cabinetry work. All the bones are there and could be a fun project. I own a 2008 hawk and love it.

Dose anyone have any experience in repairing jack mounts and taking on a project like this. I’m a carpenter in trad and would like to talk to someone with experience. I’ll post picks tomorrow. I plan on taking a better look at it.

#2 shellback

shellback

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWagontown,PA

Posted 07 May 2018 - 12:00 PM

I think you would need to remove the siding and the interior to repair it properly. I rebuilt a 79 Grandby from scratch and tripled up the corners for my jack mounts.Because my wife is handicapped, I have electric jacks and off load the camper when on a site. Maybe overkill on my part, but didn't want to do it twice.

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,534 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 07 May 2018 - 01:29 PM

My guess is there may be broken welds in the frame. That might be quite a project. Still, if the price is right, and you’re up for it, it might be a great opportunity.

I am haunted by waters

#4 wuck

wuck

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • LocationPollock Pines, Sebastopol CA

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:07 PM

The brackets on my Hawk were in bad shape, many broken, loose or stripped screws in a variety of diameters and lengths.P1030691r.JPG P1030744r.JPG P1030753r.JPG

I did not have any bent tubes or broken welds, so I decided to use riv-nut threaded inserts to repair the existing tubes.

P1030847r.JPG P1030844r.JPG P1030975r.JPG

They have worked very well for two years now. Repair documented here.

Pat

'04 FWC Hawk

'15 F250 SD SuperCab / Short Bed

SuperDuty Mileage (Fuelly)

Trip Photos on Flickr 

#5 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 07 May 2018 - 08:03 PM

Come down the hill and go to ATC in Sac to get some expert opinions on how to do this repair. Marty & Jeff will give you the straight scoop. They would probably even have the materials to help you on the way to fixing it all up.

#6 Huckfest

Huckfest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationTahoe

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:53 AM

This is all great info. Thanks everyone. I talked to FWC about the mounts and got just a ball park price on the repair. $1700.i just wanted to see what it would cost.

#7 Huckfest

Huckfest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationTahoe

Posted 08 May 2018 - 02:58 AM

Come down the hill and go to ATC in Sac to get some expert opinions on how to do this repair. Marty & Jeff will give you the straight scoop. They would probably even have the materials to help you on the way to fixing it all up.

Thanks for the advice. Where and what is ATC in Sac? Sorry for the ignorance.

#8 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:49 AM

ATC = All Terrain Campers

Owners are Marty & Jeff.

Many years ago they used to work at Four Wheel Campers (FWC) and they still do repairs on them as well as build great campers.

30+ years of pop-up truck camper building and repairing experience.

Much smaller shop than FWC, very personalized customer service as you get to talk directly with Marty & Jeff. 

Great guys, you'll like them, everybody does.

If you already have the camper, take it with you, they will look it over in person.

If you don't have the camper, take a lot of photos and contact them via email, sending the photos to them, then call them.

Edited by Alley-Kat, 08 May 2018 - 03:50 AM.

#9 Huckfest

Huckfest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationTahoe

Posted 08 May 2018 - 06:05 AM

ATC = All Terrain Campers
Owners are Marty & Jeff.

Many years ago they used to work at Four Wheel Campers (FWC) and they still do repairs on them as well as build great campers.
30+ years of pop-up truck camper building and repairing experience.
Much smaller shop than FWC, very personalized customer service as you get to talk directly with Marty & Jeff. 
Great guys, you'll like them, everybody does.

If you already have the camper, take it with you, they will look it over in person.
If you don't have the camper, take a lot of photos and contact them via email, sending the photos to them, then call them.

Thanks I’ll definitely contact them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users