Photo
- - - - -

Driving on gravel roads, use 2wd or 4wd ?

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#41 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 11 September 2019 - 10:41 PM

I have to disagree with using 4wd to get unstuck. Too many times I've wished I'd had the hubs locked in "before" I got stuck as the extra traction likely would have prevented many of those stucks. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#42 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 14 September 2019 - 12:56 AM

I knew there would be an equal number of opinions on opposite sides of this topic. Since I've been teaching four-wheel-drive technique for 15 years, and driving for a lot longer, I'll add my two cents.

I used to stay in two-wheel-drive on gravel and dirt roads until traction became an issue, at which point I'd shift into 4WD. I've since altered my strategy, and shift into 4WD much sooner and more often. Why? Better control, even when you think you don't really need it. The only exception is very tight twisty roads where gear windup might be an issue. (The corollary here with a full-time 4WD vehicle such as a Defender would be deciding when to activate the center diff lock.)

Regarding fuel economy—one of the main reasons many people stick to 2WD as long as possible—Graham Jackson and I tried an experiment when we crossed the Simpson Desert in Australia, a 600-mile track of stabilized sand dunes. We each were driving a Land Cruiser Troopy equipped with the 1HZ diesel, and had been getting virtually identical mileage to that point. Then we tried an experiment: Graham shifted into 4WD low range and left it there for the duration; I used 2WD and shifted back and forth into 4WD whenever I felt it remotely necessary. And at the end of the track, our fuel economy was too close to call. 

Regarding the other approach mentioned: Only shifting into 4WD when you're virtually stuck is harder on the vehicle, harder on the trail, and harder on you. 

Edited by JHanson, 14 September 2019 - 09:09 PM.

#43 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 14 September 2019 - 06:36 PM

I don't operate with a Rule of Thumb, its too restricting. I adjust what I'm doing when it seems appropriate to so. With manual locking hubs I leave them locked in even when in 2WD so long as no long pavement stretches are up-coming. Occasionally I unlock them when in 4WD as those times what I'm really doing is using low range to take the load off the engine & trans and I don't need the added traction.

Edited by ntsqd, 14 September 2019 - 06:37 PM.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#44 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 14 September 2019 - 07:49 PM

Boy, since I first added my 2 cents worth early in this thread, lot's of thoughtful and experienced drivers have also added their 2 cents worth. Okay, and while I still stick by my "every one has different levels of experience in different rigs in different environments that call for different solutions(maybe), let me pose the following observations :wacko:! People are lazy and the comments on locking the hubs in or out of operation seems to jump out at me and dictates how on you drive your rig. Let me expand on that. With the exception of my time in the army most of my back country driving was done on a 2 wheel drive standard shift rig w/granny gear or a VW.

Starting in 1980, I bought a long bed Toyota 4x4 and my new BLM work rig was a 3/4 ton Dodge Power Wagon; both rigs were stick shifts with locking type hubs and the Dodge had a granny gear. I put many miles in lots of different situations on both rigs. Okay it did not take me long to get tired of getting in and out of either rig to lock or unlock the hubs, so being lazy I usually drove in 2 wheel drive and used my granny gear most of the time. If the road was getting bad, lock the hubs and into 4 high or real bad (very rare ) into 4 low. My Toyota had no granny gear so I went into 4 high earlier with the Toyota. Maybe this was not the best for the rig, but it was best for me;after all it was me who was bring knocked around all day (with a several mile hike usually thrown in for good measure) when I got to where I needed to be. I bought a 1999 Ford F150 (stick)new and it had no hubs to manually lock in a out and no granny gear. Now I find myself going into 4 wheel high allot earlier than before because now I don't have to get out and play with the hubs and without a granny gear I needed more power much earlier than before. Just right for a lazy person.

So does my rig, experience and where I am driving dictate how I drive-Yep. So does someone who drives differently from me in the same situation mean they a wrong-- that is silly-of course not! So I'm lazy and getting old and getting stuck is part of the out back experience so what ever works for me-or you, that's what counts. If it doesn't -well we know the answer to that one. That make sense? (What really started me thinking about this was my latest email copy of the  Overland Journal with the feature article  "the last stick shift jeep"-but that is another story-something else made to easy)

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 14 September 2019 - 08:12 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#45 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 15 September 2019 - 05:43 PM

OP here. Good discussion. My .02, I also drive in 4wd hi more often than before. On acct of my own experinces.

Truth is I'd use 4 hi more often if it weren't for old, hafta get down and spin the hubs thing. But will do if the least bit concerned on the road surface or if reckon I might end up driving faster than I planned on.

Never know whats around the corner. Hate to be second guessing after thw fact ... should I have been in 4wd ???

#46 karsonb

karsonb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationNW Oregon

Posted 15 September 2019 - 06:48 PM

I base my actions on the tech I have in the vehicle at the time. Old 4wd and awd vehicles that didn’t have computer traction control, could get out of control or into difficult to control skids much easier than when in 2 wd mode. Having not owned many newer vehicles, and to date, not owning a traction control equipped vehicle, I have better control on non asphalt or hard pavement surfaces by using 2wd most of the time, where traction requires 4 wd I use it if available. I have a 2wd 1/2 ton and a 4wd 1 ton, that has lock out hubs and no traction control option installed. I have driven newer vehicles with traction control and will readily admit, that single option when available is a huge advantage and there is much merit to using 4 wd most of the time if there is ever a question or possibility of less than ideal road conditions.
When I have the priviedge of owning a vehicle with such capabilities, you betcha, I will take advantage of the tech available.

#47 kimosawboy

kimosawboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:21 AM

I guess that I'am the odd guy out as I drive a Mog and really do not worry about 4wd on backroads, 2wd is fine for 99% of the Forestry Service Roads. Having driven on backroads for 20plus years it comes down for me to speed and tire pressure. Go fast and things can go to crap in a hurry, same as tires that are over/under inflated. I have had more than one idiot fly by me only to wind up in a ditch further down the road because they lost it on a corner. Up her in BC the only things that can and will go fast on a back road is a logging truck and you better clear out of the way for him.

I personally do not see a reason to go with 4wd if you are doing a reasonable speed. (that a Mog or no Mog thing)

G Vavra

#48 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 17 September 2019 - 12:58 PM

I disconnected the ABS on the previous vehicle that I had with it after it alone was the reason that I could not stop in time on a dirt road and we got airborne. I did so immediately after landing. The otherwise identical, but ~10 years older vehicle with no ABS that I had just prior would have made the stop with room to spare.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#49 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 17 September 2019 - 01:10 PM

Early in this thread two posters mentioned using 4WD as a method of reducing road damage. That is what I tend to do, especially when the truck is light in the rear (F150 with no camper and F350 with fiberglass shell and a few tools in the back).  

Here in NC, the Wildlife Commission owns several dozen tracts of land administered for public hunting and fishing.  One of the most recent additions is in the Blue Ridge Mountains and features a 2 mile access road from the gate at the public road.  Several segments are very steep and they get badly torn up by what can only be 2WD vehicles or 4WD vehicles trying to push the envelope in 2WD.  The Commission has posted a large sign at the base of the access road requesting that drivers please engage 4WD to reduce road damage.

Foy

#50 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 17 September 2019 - 02:18 PM

Anticipating log trucks is one reason I'd be in 4wd. May be that skill and ability are factors. Less, and 4wd may be helpful if only for increased confidence. Or perhaps that's in my case only, IDK.

Agree speed can be critical to control. Sometimes depend on how much travel time you have available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users