mhskog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBoise

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:58 PM

Hello All!

I am the proud owner of a 80's Keystone, it has what would be termed "Good Bones" but not much else. I'm going to be modifying it to fit on my 04 F150, and will be getting a full gut job, interior exterior and canvass. I'll be posting the photo's and video's of the work as it progresses. We intend to do most of the work ourselves, we will have some challenges such as work/ storage space and the normal (*&^&&(*@@@ that comes with these sorts of projects. I'll try to keep track of time and money spent on this see if we can get this done on a decent budget.

couple of questions .. is there a VIN or number stamped or plated on these anywhere ?

is the keystone the forerunner of FWC or .. hows that history work? 

The Adventure Begins

Matt

#2 JDeanP

JDeanP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • LocationEl Paso, TX

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:31 PM

Mine is a little older, but the ID plate is on the rear, to the right of the door. Should be an aluminum plate riveted to the camper. 

96 F250 7.3

80 FWC Keystone

#3 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:36 PM

The Keystone was the largest of the camper models and was discontinued around 2012-13+/-. What bed size is your 150. Weight of the camper and the camper center of gravity should be 2 of your biggest concerns. The center of gravity should be in front of the rear wheels, and not sure that will happen. The Keystone and Grandby models were designed for 3/4 or 1 ton trucks with long beds.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#4 mhskog

mhskog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBoise

Posted 17 May 2018 - 10:54 PM

I've got the 6.5 bed on the supercab, running E load tires, no lift and not against going to airbags if I need to. I'm going to mitigate some weight by removing the water storage, fridge stove top. Probably going to run a single deep cycle battery mounted forward, water storage will be smaller 5 gal containers again mounted in the front of the rig. I've got a 1660 load capacity  so  I think I should be in the ok zone but won't know till I run it around a bit. I wouldn't be the first guy to have to upgrade to at 3/4 or 1 ton.

#5 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:18 PM

Welcome, Matt!

Looking forward to your build and your photos.

Here's a photo of an early 80's FWC brochure showing the lineup at the time....

(click to enlarge)

FWCBrochure80sCampers.jpg

Also- Stan posted this "How to find your camper serial number" post back in 2007. (Not sure the practice of writing an S/N on the frame would have gone back to the early 80s but it's worth a look if you don't have a plate)

Good luck with your project!

Edited by Old Crow, 17 May 2018 - 11:33 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#6 wuck

wuck

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • LocationPollock Pines, Sebastopol CA

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:40 PM

Welcome to WTW Matt!

My serial label was long gone (4th owner), but I had all original paperwork. On a trip to FWC to pick up some parts, they typed up (using an actual type-writer!!) a new serial tag for me with all the original info on it. I didn't stick it to the camper, instead deciding to keep it in a folder with the original receipts.

I did find the serial number at the left front corner as Stan wrote in the posting referenced above.

P1030792r.JPG Don't dwell on half the bedboard missing . . .

One number was scribbled over (oops!) but it did match the number Stan came up with at the factory.

I guess "HX" means Hawk, eXtended cabover"

Pat

'04 FWC Hawk

'15 F250 SD SuperCab / Short Bed

SuperDuty Mileage (Fuelly)

Trip Photos on Flickr 

#7 mhskog

mhskog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBoise

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:08 AM

So went out and snapped some pics, I'm going to guess that the diamond plate is covering where any tag ever was. I'm in Idaho and they didn't register these things till 2009 so  once I get it able to load on the truck I'll get it inspected and see what they say about paperwork, all I got on it is a bill of sale.

DSC01316.jpg

DSC01347.jpg

#8 mhskog

mhskog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBoise

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:10 AM

DSC01338.jpg

DSC01350.jpg

#9 BBZ

BBZ

• Members
  • 659 posts
  • LocationGolden, CO

Posted 18 May 2018 - 04:30 AM

nice.. have fun.. I am close to finishing a 80 Granby re hab.. took it down to the frame, new floor pack and all.. 

All of it is very easy to do with proper tools, hardest thing was creating the new lifters and canvas (in progress).. 

I decided to go all new siding as well as it wasn't that expensive and the old stuff was pretty bad... 

Like you, I am keeping it light, no water tank, no furnace and no fridge.. 

Cant wait to be done, hoping to get it wrapped up next weekend. 

2023 F-150 Scab HDPP + 2013 Grandby Shell +

https://www.wanderth...ect-90s-granby/

#10 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 18 May 2018 - 12:53 PM

I did something like this a while ago and I'd suggest that you take a lot of photos that way you'll know where all the supports, etc. are located if you ever have to find them.  I'd add wiring for usb charging, etc. and upgrade all the wiring, etc.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users