20 replies to this topic

#1 AlumiDuty6

AlumiDuty6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 09:46 PM

Hey everyone,

I’m new here, stumbled across this page yesterday. Be warned this will likely be a long post and I was unsure whether I should put this in the camper section or here, but there will be a good bit about the truck...figured this will work. At any rate I’ve been looking at FWC’s for the past few years and will be looking to buy something at the end of this year or next summer. I have quite a bit of time off every year, I’m a ship pilot and mate.I generally take about 4-6 months off each year, longest stretch is from mid January to start of April every year. Winter capabilities are a must fwiw.

I’m unsure of what style camper to go with, whether I want an FWC or ATC slide in or flatbed. Hallmark is out, truck will see too rough of terrain for the weight. I’ll post about the build and see what you guys might think lines up with my style. I really enjoy heading out to Moab and other Utah destinations as well as Colorado, the camper will see use in Alaska as well. I travel quite a bit during my time off, at least 10-15k miles of road tripping a year and sometimes that many in a single trip...48 states down!

The truck:

2017 F250 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab Short Bed
Manual Shift 4x4 w/manual locking hubs
Electronic locking rear
Crank windows and manual locks (wanted this)
Upfitters
Skid Plates

Mods:

-4.5” full Carli lift (with fabbed arms and track bar)
-King 2.5 resi shocks
-Full Deavers
-Custom coated Methods 17x8.5 -4.75” BS
-40x13.50r17 Toyo MT’s
-Amp Xl steps
-All of the bolt on and electronic performance mods, quite a monster.
-And plenty of things that don’t pertain to this forums scope.

Yet to be installed or ordered:
-ARB on board air compressor (the most expensive one, can’t remeber the model
-Swing arm rear tire mount and generator mount if I go with a slide in
-Carli long travel bags when available for the 17’s
-Possibly glass fenders and 42’s
-Rogue front bumper

Just really unsure of what I want and looking for opinions about what my next step should be. Can’t decide if I want the slide in for the protection of the camper and looks or the flatbed for the space and many added features. All opinions welcome. Feel free to ask questions about the truck, a lot of research went into getting the right suspension set up for my wants, was the first stock fendered alumiduty with a small lift on 40’s that I know of. Hopefully almost done with the truck portion!

Excited to make friends with the experienced enthusiasts here!

Attached Thumbnails

• BD1746DF-57AF-45D3-BEE4-F31E0141850A.jpeg
  • 4433DA1B-8F3F-4F1F-86E2-AD02A852CF2A.jpeg

#2 Happyjax

Happyjax

• Members
  • 1,442 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 May 2018 - 12:33 PM

Welcome :) Nice looking truck. You will get good advice from the folks here :)

2018 Ford F-250. Customized Bundutec Sable :)

#3 klahanie

klahanie

• Validating
  • 932 posts
  • LocationSW BC

Posted 20 May 2018 - 08:51 PM

Welcome to the forum AlumiDuty6 !

Hopefully almost done with the truck portion!

That's a joke correct ?... JK ^_^ ...Looking good !

You're building something very special and personally tailored and I expect you've given the whole project a great deal of thought so I can only offer a few additional or supporting thoughts...

The stock PU box has a lot going for it, you mentioned good looks and I'll add they're usually relatively light weight (more so in AL); they function pretty well, IMO and they are "normal" so don't draw attention and easier for resale. These last two points may not apply to your rig.

A flat deck body has the big advantage of potential storage (as mentioned) that, with your intended travel duration, I think would be a real plus. Also better for organization of gear. You seem to have - if I may -  more means and desire than most to do something different. So flat deck could be an outlet, address the rear flares and all sorts of neat things, However, if you want a certain look, perhaps less "commercial" or "utilitarian" it's going to cost money, take time and you going to need a skilled and willing builder.

For the camper, again, as previous paragraph - you already know this. I'll add that for us the ability to sleep with the top down is an  important convenience and a very useful feature/solution for sleeping in cold weather. It would be on my design criteria when shopping, both FB or slide in. Side entry could also be very useful if you could locate the big spare tire to the rear (best place for it IMO) without the swing.

Also I understand ATC is amenable to customization. Increasing upper and lower wall and ceiling insulation is something I, personally would ask about.

Of course all these extras add weight, less important for a cruiser like me, more important for an off roader like you.

Good luck and keep use posted.

#4 AlumiDuty6

AlumiDuty6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:43 PM

Welcome :) Nice looking truck. You will get good advice from the folks here :)

Thank you! Yea seems to be tons of great info here!

#5 2tallDA

2tallDA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 11:54 PM

Great truck and Carli no less.

One important thing came to mind.Where's the 40" spare going?

2007 Ram 2500 4wd,5.9 Cummins,G-56,suspended by Kore,Carli and Thuren. Anarchy EFI Live.

2000 Northstar TC800.

#6 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 11:51 AM

One important question: Do you usually travel solo or do you have a regular 'travelling companion'?

#7 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 21 May 2018 - 01:03 PM

You'll find a lot of info on both ATC and FWC and both are great.  FWC is typically a bit more busy but I'm sure both can do customization although I suspect with ATC you'll get a quicker turn-around.  

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#8 Durango1

Durango1

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:59 PM

You'll find a lot of info on both ATC and FWC and both are great.  FWC is typically a bit more busy but I'm sure both can do customization although I suspect with ATC you'll get a quicker turn-around.  

FWC makes a great camper (I'm on my third FWC in less than six years) but they do virtually NO customization. (I've tried!) :)

ghOPBn5TPQvwlCXyN2IrQpb1oFqJRDlTJPWtyD47

#9 AlumiDuty6

AlumiDuty6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:11 AM

Welcome to the forum AlumiDuty6 !

That's a joke correct ?... JK ^_^ ...Looking good !

You're building something very special and personally tailored and I expect you've given the whole project a great deal of thought so I can only offer a few additional or supporting thoughts...

What an outstanding post. Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion.

And you’re right I do want a very clean look no matter which way I go. If I end up with a 10k truck cap pop up or a 50k set up...I want it to all look natural and right.

I think one of my biggest struggles is whether I should go minimalist with something like a vegabond/habitat/gfc/overlandr or get a loaded out flatbed fwc. I think I would be happy with either. I don’t require much, I spend most of my life these days living on a ship with a stateroom hardly bigger than an FWC. I travel alone most of the time as well. Thru hiking the AT 8 years ago really put into perspective what a person actually needs out there...but damn a shower and toilet would be nice! Haha.

I think for the scope of the truck a more minimalist set up would match up.

Only problem I have with ATC is it seems like the only siding option is white? I really like the silver spur FWC option or how some of the pop up truck caps have custom graphics.

I imagine I’m going to lose my mind obsessing over this for a year, just like I did the suspension/wheel/tire combo on this truck.

#10 AlumiDuty6

AlumiDuty6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 01:14 AM

Great truck and Carli no less.
One important thing came to mind.Where's the 40" spare going?

I’m hoping to get a rear swing arm set up or if I go flatbed, maybe in between cab and camper. Not quite sure yet. The damn tire is huge though so it’s definitely a major concern of mine to figure out how to properly mount it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: f250, Diesel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users