#1 deezlgeezr

deezlgeezr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:48 PM

My 2017 Hawk does not have the roof rack option, but it does have the Yakima tracks installed. I also have double fantastic fans, one fore & aft of the factory-mounted 160W solar panel. I would like to hear from owners on their roof rack usage or alternative roof storage solutions (e.g., Yakima track-mounted 'basket'). Has anyone had FWC install a roof rack on an already-owned camper? Is this even possible? How is the reliability and suitability of a Yakima basket, attached to the tracks. I envision storing a couple of camp chairs and maybe a couple other bulky items up there. Thanks in advance!!  :D

2016 Ram 2500 4X4 Laramie CC SB AT 6.7L Cummins

2017 Hawk Silver Spur Front Dinette 

#2 rustyshackleford55

rustyshackleford55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 03:01 PM

I'm in a similar situation as you. I want to carry wood, camp chairs, and misc gear. I'm considering a front hitch with a storage box OR a roof box. I can't use the rear hitch because I want to put bikes there. I have a swing out hitch for this and the amount I use the bikes putting them on the roof is a non option

Edited by rustyshackleford55, 21 May 2018 - 03:03 PM.

#3 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:04 PM

My 2017 Hawk does not have the roof rack option, but it does have the Yakima tracks installed. I also have double fantastic fans, one fore & aft of the factory-mounted 160W solar panel. I would like to hear from owners on their roof rack usage or alternative roof storage solutions (e.g., Yakima track-mounted 'basket'). Has anyone had FWC install a roof rack on an already-owned camper? Is this even possible? How is the reliability and suitability of a Yakima basket, attached to the tracks. I envision storing a couple of camp chairs and maybe a couple other bulky items up there. Thanks in advance!!  :D

I had the FWC factory install Yakima tracks on my old 2001 Hawk to carry my hard shell kayaks. No issues with the install but I quickly learned that loading and unloading 12' Wilderness Exp SOTs was very difficult for me. Although I was able to lift the roof with one kayak loaded( with a lot of effort), 2 boats were impossible so I had to unload one in order to lift the roof. This wouldn't be a problem if I was just going to stay at one location for a few days but I'm usually constantly on the move. Bottom line, I bought a IK which I haul around in the back of my Access Cab. 

I found an old style Yakima load warrior basket on CL that I mounted on the Yakima tracks but again, I found that loading/unloading anything on the roof was a pain plus you still felt the extra weight while lifting the roof.

I've come to the conclusion that being a minimalist works the best for me. I limit myself to 2 boxes of gear and camp chairs inside the camper plus a couple of boxes in the access cab. Less stuff to keep track of and much easier setting up and loading out.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#4 Oakleyrossi

Oakleyrossi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:16 PM

We have a 2017 Hawk. I recently installed the Yakima rack system which was incredibly easy. We currently have a space case up top which is a really nice for storing stuff. Skis, fly rods, misc stuff etc... It is not ideal using the extended ladder but also just has become part of process when setting up for the night. We don't lift the roof with to much in the box so we try to get what we need out prior to lifting the roof. We also do not have solar on the roof. I imagine that would create some issues. We have a portable solar set up and the fact we don't spend more the 2 maybe 3 nights in one place this has worked well for us. If the box become to much of a pain the ass over time we will just remove and go to something else. So far so good. 

#5 rustyshackleford55

rustyshackleford55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:27 PM

Are the benefits of roof storage worth the decreased MPG? I think the hitch storage works best, front or back

#6 Pax2525

Pax2525

• Members
  • 336 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 May 2018 - 08:57 PM

the yakima rack system is really easy to add with the tracks. I wouldn't add the basket due to just the weight of the basic. Last summer we had a camper with the aluminum boat racks and I just bungee'd down my chairs straight to that. You could do the same with the yakima system (which is what I will be doing this summer with my new camper). Very easy system to work with and use. I really like yakima products.

F150 & FWC

#7 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:09 PM

Are the benefits of roof storage worth the decreased MPG? I think the hitch storage works best, front or back

Another thing to consider re: hitch storage is your turning radius on narrow off roads. Having an extra 18" or so front or back may prevent you from doing a 3 pt turnaround if the need should arise. Worse yet you'll crunch your carrier on a tree,rock,pole or another vehicle just backing up when you're in town. I once considered a hitch carrier but based on the feedback I've read on this forum I decided not to go that route. Instead I invested in a rear bumper with swing arms that hold an extra spare tire,gas can,water, or whatever else I think I might need on any given trip.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#8 rustyshackleford55

rustyshackleford55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 09:51 PM

I think I'm going with something like this, I can store chairs/wood/etc and then attach my bikes to the back. Ronin, yes this will extend the vehicle quite a bit but I have a swing out hitch by RakAttach and I can swing the entire thing out with this setup.

Towing-Bernard-BD-60205-2T.jpg

#9 deezlgeezr

deezlgeezr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:10 AM

Thanks to all who have replied! Great to hear from folks who understand this issue.  :)

I've decided that a hitch tray, front or rear, won't work for me. I'm convinced that a decent roof rack will be just what I need for a couple of bulky items. I don't see myself raising the roof with excessive weight up there. I also have decided against Yakima 'cargo bars' b/c I'm not carrying a kayak/canoe and really just want a small basket for a couple of items. Can't use Yakima cargo bars to hold items b/c I don't want cargo touching the aluminum roof. 

So I'm back to a roof basket. I feel that the attachment points on the 'tracks' aren't really very strong, so I would limit the stress I put on them. Unless I find a suitable track-compatible 'basket' I think I'll start designing my own cargo carrier that will attach to the track system. I'm guessing, if I come up with a nice setup, others will be very interested in the design. I'm thinking some type of boxed aluminum frame (3/4" - 1" square tubing, about 5-6" high) with a screen floor to keep items from contacting the roof, and 4-6 Yakima attachment points will suffice. Total square footage maybe 3' X 6', or something like that. I'll bungee-cord my stuff down.

I'm open to suggestions for the design, hoping that others will find this idea worthy and respond with constructive thoughts. Thanks again!  :D

#10 deezlgeezr

deezlgeezr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 May 2018 - 02:18 AM

I've come to the conclusion that being a minimalist works the best for me.

Probably the best solution. Gotta be easier said than done. 

The solution to storing excess stuff is to not bring it in the first place!  :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users