• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#11 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 30 May 2018 - 04:54 AM

The National Park Service is following the requirements of the National Environmental Protection Act known as NEPA. There are several steps in the process that individually must be put before the public for comment. This step is reviewing and commenting on the DRAFT Management Plan and Environmental Impact Statement. After reviewing all the comments from the public and government, the NPS will issue a final plan. You cannot challenge a final EIS if you have not commented on the draft EIS. This gives you what is legally known as "standing". It is not pointless to summit comments, it is a legal necessity if you want to remain in the process. Most of the time it is organizations - advocacy groups, etc., that play a role in the whole process, but, from my experience, the agencies really appreciate comments from individuals familiar with the issues and who are not just parroting form letter

No argument there. Submitting a form comment letter is pointless. 10,000 form letter type comments basically counts as one. Being a very active advocate for the PCTA for over 15 years I'm familiar with the process. 

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#12 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:12 AM

Thanks for your hard work and efforts Ronin. I suspect that many of us are asked to send in comments on issues. My post was meant only to give an overview of the process.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#13 Batman

Batman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationWestern Slope CO

Posted 30 May 2018 - 01:24 PM

As someone who worked on public land management plans I would certainly agree that primary purpose of the National Environmental Policy Act's public involvement process is to gather information that may not already known by the agency. While it is true that the NEPA process is not about counting which "side" submits the most comments, it is also true that the extent of public interest in particular issues is sometimes gauged by the number of comments received. 

2013 Tacoma AC, 2017 FWC Fleet

#14 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 31 May 2018 - 04:31 AM

I was present last night in Ridgecrest and I left far more optimistic than going in. It was nice to meet the park superintendent. He truly does care about DVNP and has been there for many years.

One comment that was made and acknowledged by the NPS panel was that the anglo involvement at the springs is going to be under scrutiny as a historic aspect and as such protected.

We will see. The park service does want comments though. I think they were very surprised that between 50-70 people turned out at the meeting in Saline.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#15 ETAV8R

ETAV8R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationRepublik of Kalifornia

Posted 31 May 2018 - 07:02 AM

There is a webinar tonight from 530pm-630pm DST Pacific.

05/31/2018 5:30 PM 6:30 PM Online

Here is a link for the webinar.

https://register.got...193893028230913

Edited by ETAV8R, 31 May 2018 - 07:14 AM.

Founder of D.E.R.P. Desert Exploration & Research Project. A camp proper is a nomads biding place. He may occupy it for a season or only for a single night, according as the site and its surroundings please or do not please the wanderers whim- Horace Kephart.

2009 4x4 Tacoma Access Cab-The Gini

2013 Silver Spur Finch Shell- The Oxcart/Gini's Burden-

http://www.wanderthe...ory/#entry83606

#16 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,251 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 01 June 2018 - 01:53 AM

A video of the public meeting held in Bishop, California -

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#17 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:24 AM

I have not read the document. What I want to know is if people will be prohibited from setting up generators, PA system and lights to have an EDM rave like I had the misfortune of experiencing there one time. I left. I have not been back. I don't make that kind of drive to have to deal with that kind of (fill in the blank) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users