17 replies to this topic

#11 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 24 May 2018 - 03:40 PM

Knock on wood. In all our travels we've not had a critter enter our camper. Thanks for sharing the tale. The best stories are the ones we survive. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#12 DirkWill

DirkWill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:57 PM

What wonderful responses!  Love it!  The end of the story is that it made me appreciate my Bobcat, and understand just how much I loved it!  

While I'm at it...here's some reflections after 2 years with Bob:

I bought and thought I'd be camping exclusively dispersed camping.  Turns out that hasn't been the case.  One of my primary goals was to use the camper as a photography asset.  That has turned out to be spectacular!!  At night I can sit all comfortable and process on my laptop.  That is usually a cold weather passion, so if I have a choice, I'll get electric at a park or campground for the heater, recharging batteries and computer.  When my wife goes with me, she feels more secure with people around, so campground is preferred.  (whether that is in fact the case is debatable, but if it gets her to go with me, I'll take it!).  And, since I'm still working full time, I'm limited to lots of weekend trips, and dispersed seems to take more time and preparation.  If/when I do retire, I hope my patterns change...

Some time ago, I posted about putting a kayak carrier on top of Bob.  It worked just fine for my 12' 28 pound Poke Boat.  I bought a tandem Old Town Dirigo that weights 72 pounds and it just doesn't work for me.  Although I swore I'd never do this, I'm buying a trailer for it.  Getting it up and down from camper top is just too precarious.  In the few times I did it, wife and I struggled, and once the wind just about capped her with the kayak!  So...with reluctance I guess I'll be towing something after all...

Best to the ATC community this Memorial Day Weekend!  May you all be well and not sunburn too much!

#13 Rafter C

Rafter C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationGrass Valley, CA

Posted 27 May 2018 - 12:53 PM

My wife and I recently returned from our first trip in over a year, and on our first night camped in the middle of Nevada, shortly after we opened the the top in the late afternoon, we noticed that we had a bat sort of "buzzing" us as we sat near the camper. It was weird, as it was still light out, and there were no others. I had actually seen it a few minutes before drinking from the nearby creek, but at a glance, I'd assumed it was a bird. Anyway, we determined that we had probably brought the little thing along with us from home, as our camper lives with the top up, inside my large shop building (which has a population of bats in the high peak). We think it was probably under the short flaps above the the windows, and got trapped when we lowered it to leave. We hope it was able to adapt to its new home, but I fear probably not. One more thing to check before heading out I guess...

'08 Dodge 3500, '11 ATC Cougar

Build Thread: http://www.wanderthe...r-build-thread/

Blog: https://raftercexplo...s.wordpress.com

#14 DavidO

DavidO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 03:39 PM

On our way out to Yellowstone from California we picked up this mouse. My wife sure let out a scream when she opened the glove box. We were able to put on some gloves and quickly scoop it up and remove it. Where we live it is way out in the country and I have removed many mice from my truck (parked outside under a carport) but never have I had one in our camper. The 2012 Hawk is way better sealed than the truck.

mouse.jpg

#15 PackRat

PackRat

• Members
  • 680 posts
  • LocationNovato, CA

Posted 27 May 2018 - 07:08 PM

David....before heading out to the boonies again, I would suggest a visual inspection of any hole in the firewall to see if Mouse chewed through that way. Another look at everything under the hood for chewed wire insulation and lastly, since Mouse was in the glove box I would first look behind it for an opening. You don't want any shorted out wiring burning up when you are out somewhere.

Cute lil' sucker though...

1988 Ford F-250 HD Lariat 4x4 8 Ft. bed

1976 Alaskan 8 Ft. CO camper

#16 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 28 May 2018 - 12:27 AM

Cute lil' sucker though...

x2 :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#17 zuber

zuber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationShedd, OR

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:11 PM

Reminds me of a favorite poem...

The Country

I wondered about you when you told me never to leave a box of wooden, strike-anywhere matches lying around the house because the mice might get into them and start a fire. But your face was absolutely straight when you twisted the lid down on the round tin where the matches, you said, are always stowed. Who could sleep that night? Who could whisk away the thought of the one unlikely mouse padding along a cold water pipe behind the floral wallpaper gripping a single wooden match between the needles of his teeth? Who could not see him rounding a corner, the blue tip scratching against a rough-hewn beam, the sudden flare, and the creature for one bright, shining moment suddenly thrust ahead of his time— now a fire-starter, now a torchbearer in a forgotten ritual, little brown druid illuminating some ancient night. Who could fail to notice, lit up in the blazing insulation, the tiny looks of wonderment on the faces of his fellow mice, onetime inhabitants of what once was your house in the country? Billy Collins

2013 RAM, Four Wheel Camper Shell, KTM's

#18 GroovyDad

GroovyDad

• Members
  • 765 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 10 July 2018 - 06:15 PM

Not just mice, you have to keep an eye out for PACK RATS too.  A few months ago, while I was camping at Saline Valley Hot Springs, I was told that pack rats often get inside the engine compartment and can do a ton of damage.  They told me to check carefully before leaving and numerous people suggested leaving the hood open as they hate the sun light.

Here's a great article on pack rats.

rodentdamage1.jpg

"I only went out for a walk, and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." —John Muir. http://aimlessroamer.blogspot.com/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: All Terrain Camper Discussion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users