9 replies to this topic

#1 skyfree

skyfree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationSouth Lake Tahoe, CA

Posted 27 May 2018 - 03:47 PM

Hi everyone -- first post here so hello.

I have a 2018 Chevy Colorado Duramax ZR2 which is awesome in every way.  Just finished the White Rim Trail which was pretty easy and parts of Hell Roaring Rim Route which was definitely not easy.  Had to use the lockers to get up a ledge, so really appreciated those.  There were a ton of ZR2's at Expo so it looks like it will be a popular platform.

This question isn't specific to FWC because I am also looking at a shortened Bobcat shell from ATC, but I was at Overland Expo and talked to Stan about putting a Swift on my truck and was surprised that they have no way to secure them to the truck.  Customers are free to develop their own custom methods such as having sleeves welded onto the frame to fit Torklift tie downs on, or bumper hardware + welding something onto rock sliders, but they won't be able to install the campers at the factory.

The rock slider idea sounds good if you have aftermarket sliders with decent attachments to the frame, but the stock ZR2 sliders are secured via thin attachments that seem to work in actual use but I wouldn't want to secure a camper to them.  Putting a button on the bumper is another thing that doesn't sound that secure.

So is there anyone on here who has done this and has any advice/pictures on how it's done?  I may be the first person who is considering this on a ZR2, but who knows?

Edited by skyfree, 27 May 2018 - 03:48 PM.

#2 rotti

rotti

• Members
  • 634 posts
  • LocationMile High

Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:32 PM

Message one of these owners:

http://www.wanderthe...chevy-colorado/

2012 Chevy 2500HD 4WD LTZ CCSB gas
2012 FWC Hawk

#3 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:54 PM

Hello, and welcome aboard to WTW.

I'm a long time Other Brand truck guy, needing a newer truck than I've already got and just considering looking into the truck you own. 

I'm curious... Did Stan WHY they can't mount the camper at the factory or why they have no mounting solution?

Is there something very different about your truck that I don't know about?

#4 skyfree

skyfree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 05:51 AM

Message one of these owners:

http://www.wanderthe...chevy-colorado/

Thanks, I had read that previously but mine is a shortbed + Swift and those were longbeds + fleet / Phoenix.  Sorry, I should have specified that in my original post.

Hello, and welcome aboard to WTW.

I'm a long time Other Brand truck guy, needing a newer truck than I've already got and just considering looking into the truck you own. 

I'm curious... Did Stan WHY they can't mount the camper at the factory or why they have no mounting solution?

Is there something very different about your truck that I don't know about?

Stan said that on the short bed the gas tank is in the way, and they just couldn't make it work without dropping and remounting the tank with a gap for the bolts and they didn't want to mess with that understandably.  There is a long bed ZR2 but that wasn't an option for me.

Edited by skyfree, 28 May 2018 - 05:52 AM.

#5 Alley-Kat

Alley-Kat

Elder Statesman

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • LocationPacific Ocean

Posted 28 May 2018 - 02:25 PM

OK, thanks for the information. I appreciate it.

#6 michgoblue

michgoblue

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:31 PM

I have a long bed Duramax Z71 and ended up getting Torklift framemounted tie-downs installed for my Phoenix (they were free since mine was the first 2017 Diesel Colorado they had installed and they used it for the test-fit).  Nice thing is that they don't cut into your ground clearance, but they do extend out some from the truck when you have a camper mounted (you can remove the attachment points though when not in use). 

#7 skyfree

skyfree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:19 AM

I have a long bed Duramax Z71 and ended up getting Torklift framemounted tie-downs installed for my Phoenix (they were free since mine was the first 2017 Diesel Colorado they had installed and they used it for the test-fit).  Nice thing is that they don't cut into your ground clearance, but they do extend out some from the truck when you have a camper mounted (you can remove the attachment points though when not in use). 

Yup, you can get Torklift tie downs for a long bed, but not a short bed.

#8 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 30 May 2018 - 11:05 AM

I have a 2016 long bed Colorado Duramax (love the truck) with a 2011 Eagle mounted with over 15,000 miles traveling to AK and back.

Rock solid with regular mounts and an extra ring as the camper has to be on a 3" platform (insulation for the floor).

The short beds have an issue as the DEF tank is tightly fit below the bed and the filler tube takes up space where the eye bolt would go in that corner. I will say I have heard others do a work around. Again the long beds have no issues in mounting the camper. 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#9 skyfree

skyfree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 03:46 PM

I have a 2016 long bed Colorado Duramax (love the truck) with a 2011 Eagle mounted with over 15,000 miles traveling to AK and back.

Rock solid with regular mounts and an extra ring as the camper has to be on a 3" platform (insulation for the floor).

The short beds have an issue as the DEF tank is tightly fit below the bed and the filler tube takes up space where the eye bolt would go in that corner. I will say I have heard others do a work around. Again the long beds have no issues in mounting the camper. 

Thanks, I saw your setup in a different thread and it looks great.

#10 chummers36

chummers36

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 06:22 PM

Hi skyfree, I have a 5ft Z71 Duramax with the torklift frame mounted tiedowns on it.   I bought a 2017 Northstar 600ss from a guy that had a 6ft Z71 Colorado and he just gave me everything that came with it including the tiedowns.  I live near'ish to torklift so brought my truck in there and they were able to install them with some slight modifications.  I have been wanting to get something lighter like the Swift and keep it on at all times, curious if you ended up finding a solution?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users