By the way, it's Brenda   https://sierrashadow.wordpress.com/

#12 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 29 May 2018 - 10:19 PM

I have considered aversion training, just haven't really done any research on it yet. 

If you've read much of the other immigration routes you know why it popular. It was also easier than the other routes. Its been a while but I think if you followed the American River you had something like 50 river crossings!

The section of the Carson trail below Kirkwood should be reopening soon. I'd love to find some film of the making of the reroute by Kirkwood. That had to take a lot of dynamite!

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#13 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 30 May 2018 - 12:35 AM

I’m taking both of my dogs through it in a couple of weeks, plus getting them vaccinated. Neither is a guarantee, both improve a dog’s chances. Some folks use positive aversion training, but it takes much longer than negative reinforcement.

https://www.garmin.c...e-training-dog/

I am haunted by waters

#14 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 30 May 2018 - 01:54 AM

Looks like I should have started looking earlier. Most are booked. I'll keep looking. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#15 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 30 May 2018 - 03:07 AM

Where did you camp along Silver Fork Road below MET? I ask because we drove up out of Silver Fork to MET/Iron Mountain Road around 4 Sunday afternoon. You would not have recognized our vehicle but we would have known yours.

We were doing our annual survey of the trail system in the Caples Creek area. We pass on information about logs across the trail and other work that needs to be done to the mule group that volunteers and comes in and does the saw work. They were out today cutting and I just got this -

"This was under the log I was getting ready to buck"

Rattler.jpg

just another day in the woods................................

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#16 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 30 May 2018 - 03:30 AM

We were doing our annual survey of the trail system in the Caples Creek area. We pass on information about logs across the trail and other work that needs to be done to the mule group that volunteers and comes in and does the saw work. They were out today cutting and I just got this -

"This was under the log I was getting ready to buck"

Rattler.jpg

just another day in the woods................................

My blood pressure just went up seeing this. Sometime's you can barely hear them when it's perfectly quiet - throw in a little ambient chainsaw buzzing and forget about it!! 

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#17 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 30 May 2018 - 02:11 PM

Ever since my  "Bob" got bit several years ago (posted here), he really seems to sense or maybe smell them/any snake if they are in the area.  I guess experience does make the difference after all!  I've spent many years working/playing in snake country and I  try to avoid not kill them-unless I find I camped on them or they try to bite me or mine, then, sorry, all bets are off. Speaking of snakes and dogs, I was camped up at Eagle Lake last month and Bob wondered around the other side of the truck and came running back, so I walked over and took a look and yep a snake-a big gopher snake. It sure looked and acted like a buzz tail , cured up and hissed at me, but the head and tail were wrong.

To take this story to the next step, as I watched the snake, I remember hearing somewhere that there had been reports of "buzz-less" rattlesnakes down in the California desert-so I pulled out my cell phone and called a friend who lived up at Eagle Lake and asked him if he had heard about any of them up there. He said no but got on his PC looked up Gopher/rattle snakes as I described the dang snake an we keyed it out as a gopher snake. Modern science saved that snakes life. Took some pictures of it and will try to post-but boy it sure looked and acted  as a rattlesnake would-mother nature at her best!

Smoke

Edited by Smokecreek1, 30 May 2018 - 02:45 PM.

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#18 Ronin

Ronin

• Members
  • 934 posts
  • LocationPNW

Posted 30 May 2018 - 04:44 PM

Unfortunately,I had to kill the rattler I saw a few days ago. My cat was casually grooming himself while the rattler was less than 2 feet away from him between my truck and garage. My cat was feral before he started calling our place home. He's a great hunter and he's gifted us with rats,jack rabbits, gophers,shrews,moles,birds,lizards,etc and I've seen him interact with fox,skunks,wild turkeys,deer and raccoons - but... he seemed absolutely clueless about the rattler. Maybe he knows more than I think cuz' he's been wandering around here for a few years and apparently fine.

2019 Tundra 2019 Panther Shell

#19 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:23 PM

Thanks for the report and photos from my old hunting ground!

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#20 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 30 May 2018 - 08:47 PM

Mormon Emigrant Trail (MET), aka Iron Mountain Road runs through the Eldorado National Forest from Jenkinson Reservoir to Highway 88 at the old Iron Mountain Ski Area. It makes a nice shortcut from highway 50 to highway 88 in the summer as it follows a ridge top. It is a Forest Road and is closed by snow in the winter. It is part of the historic Carson Route of the California Trail and was the most heavily used route into California during the Gold Rush. The route was founded by members of the Mormon Battalion (Mexican American War 1846) as a route from California to their new home in Utah in June 1848. After crossing the Sierra, in Nevada they ran into the first of the immigrants flooding into California overland after the news of James Marshall's discovery of gold at Coloma in January 1848. Being told of the new route, most followed the fresh tracks of the Mormons emigrating from California.

Thanks for the info.Like Bseek I have seen it mentioned several times but couldn't place where it is.

But now I do ,duh, have pasted it many times but didn't recognize it by MET.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users