#1 Lobster

Lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSanta Barbara .

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:55 AM

Bought a new grandby shell a year ago in anticipation of wife’s retirement.
Spent the past year outfitting it based on my experience as a fisherman, not a camper.
While I’m fairly confident of my abilities on the ocean, I’ll admit to being clueless as a camper and just winged it as to fulfilling our needs on the road.
Got to make a couple short trips last summer. Then again this April, after Jolene retired in January, we got out for a few 3 day trips to refine our approach in anticipation of our planned month long trip to visit friends and explore the western U.S.
Left So. Cal. A month ago and headed north. Originally we’d planned to go counterclockwise but decided last minute to change our route to to clockwise to stay at sea level in May then get to higher elevation a couple weeks later. Also, since we don’t like to make plans/reservations, we thought we’d get the coast done in May before schools let out.
The trip started with some wake boarding at lake San Antonio with close friends. We’ve gone to the lake with a big group before but it was nice to just hang with another couple and relax. After a couple days we headed north to Napa, then over to the Mendecino coast. Up to Eureka to see more friends and stay on Woodby island. That was the only night we didn’t spend in the camper but our friends have some rustic cabins and didn’t mind our 2 75Lb. Labradors (Jake and Jessie) we’re traveling with.
We then headed up to Brookings Ore. to visit another fisherman I hadn’t seen in 10 years. Eric had a 3 acre backyard that the dogs just loved.
Then we headed up the coast of southern Oregon and realized our mistake of telling too many friends of our plans to come and see them in too short a time. We thought we could have spent a month in so. Oregon alone but had to keep driving this time. Camped a couple days before heading up to Bellingham to ferry over to Lummi Island for a few days. What a spot. Maybe we just happened to be there on ‘chamber of commerce days’ but it was pretty spectacular watching the sunset and hiking with the pups.
From there we went toward Cor d’lane on the (2.) What a great drive for an idiot from So Cal.
Up to Sandpoint, over to Kalispell for a few days with friends. Glacier was only open as far as Avalanche but still beautiful. We skipped Yellowstone as a friend had just returned from there and said the crowds were horrible even this early. Headed down the Lewis and Clark (12) towards Boise. Our first night spent just pulling off the road was a great find next to the river. That night it rained and the next day it hailed.
Visited my sister in Boise then headed over to Utah to see Mirror lake. Campground was closed due to snow. (10,700 feet). Did I mention we’re from So. calif? Snow? In June? Anyway, came down the mountain a couple thousand feet and dry camped a couple days without anyone in sight.
From there we headed to Cedar City. Down the 38 instead of the 15. Not as spectacular as we’d hoped. The last ‘friends visit’ we planned before heading to the North rim of the Grand Canyon.
Armed with an Elk steak dinner, we saw Cedar Breaks on our way then camped outside the park a couple days in total privacy. However, Jolene insisted the dogs stayed tied on 30 foot leashes due to our proximity to steep cliffs right behind our campsite.
Our daughters joined our ‘big group’ friends at the lake for my wife’s 63 birthday so we decided to join the party to end our trip. After all, the birthday girl should actually be there.
Got home last night. 4800 miles, 4 weeks, and a huge education on camping.
My wife took pics but I’m sure you’ve seen it all before. ( I’ll post if there’s any interest).
Really my report is a testament to our truck/camper combo. 2015 Tundra, 8ft. Bed, 2017 grandby shell.
I set it up with a front dinette layout. ARB fridge near the back door drivers side worked very well. When we shopped, we could load the fridge without unloading the ‘stuff’ to get to the fridge. Also, sometime we’d stop for a quick lunch and only pop up the back of the roof. Really easy. 160 watt solar on the roof kept it all working easily. Propex heater worked well. I have the artic pack and think it helps. Have an on demand water heater, (eco temp L5) ($105 at Home Depot) that more than met our needs. Outside shower but also plumbed inside if need be.
Hot water at the sink. The coolest thing we have is a propane fire pit. (Outland fire bowl). I have a large 71/2 gallon horizontal propane tank mounted under the truck with a quick disconnect for the fire pit. About a 25’ hose allows us to move it pretty far either direction as are needs suit. I then built a ring to hold a plow disc cooker (Carolina Cooker from agri supply) over the top of it. Like a skottle but over our fire pit. No wood to haul or seek, fire where some aren’t allowed, sit by the fire awhile, drop the ring over and cook sitting in your chair, when done lift off the disc and enjoy the fire while eating. We so enjoyed this for dinner and breakfast we never used our Coleman stove in a month. We do have a single burner butane stove we make coffee with but otherwise every meal we cooked on the disc.
At the end of it all, we’re still very novice campers. We learned a ton and whetted our appetite for more adventures. Next time we won’t promise anyone we’re coming and simply follow our noses wherever.
We now feel much more comfortable with the idea and more confident in our rig.
The dogs do provide a challenge but they loved it and we won’t travel without them.
I modified the headache/pushbar over the bed before the trip and think I can still improve it.
I’ll post the refinement when I get it done.
Overall, really happy with the setup.
Thanks to all on this site for ideas I poached during the build. A testament to the collective knowledge was how few problems we encountered on our first big trip.
Hope I can contribute positively to some other newbie who’s wondering if they can do it. Yes, you can!
One more thing, over 4800 mile I saw a total of 12 FWC. Stopped and talked with Brian from San Diego on a beach in Oregon. Most others waved or flashed headlights while passing. Nice to be a part of a special group.
Jim

#2 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 14 June 2018 - 01:58 PM

Sounds like a great trip!  You certainly covered a lot of ground.  Nice to take those 'survey' type trips every now and then and then come back later and go more in depth to the areas that really interest you.  Thanks for sharing.

And pictures are always good :-)

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#3 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,022 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:45 PM

Yes, its actually WandertheWestwithpics. Sounds like a great trip. Maybe my lab can meet yours one day.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#4 Lobster

Lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 03:20 AM

Some pics from the trip2C5E6423-F760-4872-A83B-D061BB08DE77.jpeg camping in Albion.
A989AA30-6D1A-47E7-B61D-AAB8258CE0D3.jpeg or friends place on Woodby island
5E1E033C-5516-43FE-91B5-0FEFC549059D.jpeg sunset on Lummi Island
E6B7409A-FCFA-4A21-95F9-DF88D92D5904.jpeg Jake where he’s not supposed to be in Glacier.

#5 Lobster

Lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 03:24 AM

Some more pics,B424C993-AFF6-4C59-BB05-CEF963D19340.jpeg mirror lake Utah
F94AA6EC-0512-42F8-B081-AA6DED8113BA.jpeg camping off road nearby
3D2952F9-BD36-4BB8-A0AF-32C606B5A9F9.jpeg our water heater

#6 Lobster

Lobster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 03:27 AM

Couple more982D9384-659C-4D2A-BF18-08FBD450175E.jpeg cedar breaks
C41A0EE6-3DEE-401A-AEB1-3F1D6D434EFE.jpeg north rim of Grand Canyon

#7 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,295 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 15 June 2018 - 10:46 PM

Looks like a very nice trip.

Thanks for the post.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#8 takesiteasy

takesiteasy

• Members
  • 2,588 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 16 June 2018 - 02:11 AM

Thanks for posting your pics. Nice rig and good looking dog! I enjoyed your report. People might be interested in more information and photos on your build out.

2011 Tacoma AC TRD
ATC Custom Shell

travelswithrockythedog.blogspot.com

#9 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 16 June 2018 - 12:58 PM

Great report!
Hope you have many more adventures...

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#10 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 17 June 2018 - 05:51 PM

Thanks for sharing. Looks like a great trip.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users