• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#11 Occidental

Occidental

• Members
  • 355 posts
  • LocationHome is where you park it

Posted 19 June 2018 - 02:50 AM

Thanks everyone for giving the report a read and for the kind comments.

bj40 - we definitely found signs of recent wildfire.  The aspen stands are quickly recovering, it may have even rejuvenated them.  The mountain mahogany that burned will be a little slower to recover.  The higher you get the more healthy the grasses are, as cheatgrass drops out (not entirely) but the cheat is thriving in lower areas that burned.  I thought while we were there that it may have been the Long Draw fire (Oregon's largest in recent times) but upon arriving home and consulting that fire map I found out I was wrong.  There have been a lot of large fires in that country in the past decade or two, so the names start to escape me.

2020 Ford Ranger, 2012 Eagle

http://www.occidentalist.org

#12 Dughlas Stiubhart

Dughlas Stiubhart

It's good to be Stew

• Members
  • 1,474 posts
  • LocationSE CO

Posted 19 June 2018 - 09:18 PM

I do love high Oregon!  Thanks for the report and photos.

Stew

2007 Custom All Terrain Camper Panther Shell on 2012 Toyota Tundra 4x4 in SE CO

#13 CraggyMan

CraggyMan

• Members
  • 333 posts
  • LocationBend OR

Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:37 PM

Thanks for the update on the Oregon Canyon/Trout Creek Mtns. I really enjoy reading about your travels.  Both areas are high on my list but have been a bit reluctant to visit since the big fires of 2012. Part of the allure for me has always been the scattered thickets of Mountain Mahogany. Here is a shot from a 2011 visit. Got my fingers crossed that this one did not burn too badly.

Attached Thumbnails

• TroutMM_JDAVIS2018-1.jpg

2016 Four Wheel - Fleet, 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD - https://www.flickr.c...sertdustimages/

#14 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,535 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:42 PM

Craggy, beautiful photo!

I am haunted by waters

#15 Occidental

Occidental

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 04:02 AM

CraggyMan, that is a great shot.  The mahogany is really nice, and one of the trees I really enjoy in the drier climes.  We camped above Mud Springs and were in a patch that didn't burn and I was wondering how old some of those larger ones were.  They are really impressive.  I have a couple 3 year olds in my backyard I'm bringing along.  

I checked the fire history map and found that it was the Holloway fire that burned that area in 2012, if anyone is wondering.

#16 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 21 June 2018 - 01:05 PM

I didn't see any trout or a creek?  :-)

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#17 Occidental

Occidental

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 02:15 AM

That does it, I have to go back!

We did travel down Trout Creek but I guess I must have been thinking about the long drive home as I did not take any photos, although when I make it back I want to spend time there as a top priority.  The creek is really thick with riparian vegetation, I have no idea how anyone could fish the section we saw, but I look forward to figuring it out.

#18 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:32 AM

Good call.  

Let's see some Trout

and let's see some creek!

I hear you on brushy creeks, though.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#19 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,758 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 13 August 2018 - 10:11 PM

Fish-who needs fish or a creek or brush, hey, bring a friend and  have a milkshake and a burger at Fields, followed by a hot spring soak on the way in and repeat process on the way out :P . I've seen that area from afar several times and "I gotta put in on my list to make the time to actually go there this time ", but a stop at Fields just makes that prospect all the more alluring-yep can't think of a better way to spend a week or so :wub: !

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#20 michael13

michael13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 01 September 2018 - 03:05 AM

A great narrative and wonderful photos! Thanks !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users