Any drift boaters?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 windy

windy

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 06:11 PM

I’m learning how to row and am looking for easy runs for a beginner. Preferably Washington and Oregon because they are the closest for me.

So far it looks like the 3rd section of the McKenzie is pretty tame and a few sections of the Deschutes.

Also, anyone know if there is a network of “shuttles” or do people pretty much take care of their own transportation back up river.

#2 Cayuse

Cayuse

• Members
  • 771 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 21 June 2018 - 08:44 PM

Not a drift boater (yet) but have years in rafts/kayaks/canoes/catarafts.

There's a run on the John Day that should be pretty manageable for you if you'd like a wilderness experience, the Grande Ronde as well..  The Salmon River below Riggins has some water that is frequently run by drift boats and is roadside.  The Yakima River would be another roadside run.

Wilderness runs frequently have shuttle services available, roadside people usually deal with the shuttle themselves in some way, shape, form; sticking a thumb out has worked well for me over the years (along rivers is the only place I pick up hitchhikers or hitch myself anymore).

2002 Grandby, 2008 Tundra Double Cab
Off Road Utility Trailer
Not enough time to go exploring.

#3 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 22 June 2018 - 03:31 AM

Drift boating isn't difficult.  Just think of yourself as the guide, putting your client on the perfect drift.

It's a bit like surrogate fishing.

I've only fished a few commercial rivers.  The shuttle services seem to crop up when the need arrises. 

We had an unfortunate experience when we left the paddles in the boat overnight at the motel for the Smith.

It appears not only do shuttle services show up when the need arrises, the thieves also show up.

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#4 windy

windy

• Members
  • 460 posts

Posted 22 June 2018 - 10:50 AM

Thanks. Will definitely add those places to my list. Yeah, wilderness trips are our goal. Did 3 days on the middle fork of the Salmon a few years ago and can’t get it out of our heads. Been hooked ever since. And since we live on the Columbia it would be a shame not to take advantage the of what is in our own backyard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users