109 replies to this topic

#11 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 25 June 2018 - 01:12 AM

I have a crude understand of parallel VS series battery configuration so going to two 6 volts in series to gain perhaps 15 amp/hrs is counter intuitive to me because if one battery in series craps out you lose the circuit but in parallel there is a "work around' [literally]...

Does the external charging via 110 or solar factor into using 6 volt or 12 volt batteries? 

I have the OEM FWC set-up in our '16 Hawk with a CR110 and so far no battery issues...we have Zamp full roof and portable solar array [240 w] and IQ4. 

#12 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 25 June 2018 - 01:31 AM

I have a crude understand of parallel VS series battery configuration so going to two 6 volts in series to gain perhaps 15 amp/hrs is counter intuitive to me because if one battery in series craps out you lose the circuit but in parallel there is a "work around' [literally]...

Does the external charging via 110 or solar factor into using 6 volt or 12 volt batteries? 

There are three big reasons to go with 6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries:

1. They are (relatively) inexpensive.  < $1 per amphour for FLA, about twice that for AGM.
  2. They are easy to find, any town with a golf course will have a battery source near by (some golf course maintenance shops will sell you batteries if you ask nice).  True deep cycle 12V batteries are harder to find.
  3. Lead is heavy.  It is easier to muscle 60 lbs twice than 120 lbs once.  And batteries are usually sited in an inconvenient place for lifting.

A 6 volt battery is three 2.1V cells connected in series, a 12V battery is six 2.1V cells in series.  If hooked up right the charging source won't know the difference.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#13 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:27 AM

There are three big reasons to go with 6 volt deep cycle golf cart batteries:

1. They are (relatively) inexpensive.  < &#36;1 per amphour for FLA, about twice that for AGM.
  3. They are easy to find, any town with a golf course will have a battery source near by (some golf course maintenance shops will sell you batteries if you ask nice).  True deep cycle 12V batteries are harder to find.
  5. Lead is heavy.  It is easier to muscle 60 lbs twice than 120 lbs once.  And batteries are usually sited in an inconvenient place for lifting.

A 6 volt battery is three 2.1V cells connected in series, a 12V battery is six 2.1V cells in series.  If hooked up right the charging source won't know the difference.

jim

OK help me understand if you will; I really don't know the answer....what is inherently deficient in using two 12v AGM batteries that are NOT deep cycle batteries if the charge is correctly maintained via a solar, AC or the alternator on the vehicle?

As for weight, my 12v AGMs are no where near that weight you mentioned and my battery box in the Hawk is easily accessed [side dinette]....

My way of approaching this is if it works...stick with it...and KISS...but hey I could and may be wrong!

Phil

Ps...

Just read this: 

"You can use two 12-volt 24 group batteries wired in parallel that provides 140 to 170 AH. Parallel wiring increases amp hours but not voltage.

If you have the room, you can do what a lot of RVers do and switch from the standard 12-volt batteries to two of the larger 6-volt golf cart batteries. These pairs of 6-volt batteries need to be wired in series to produce the required 12-volts and they will provide 180 to 220 AH. Series wiring increases voltage but not amp hours."

http://rvservices.ko...v-batteries.asp

Edited by Wallowa, 25 June 2018 - 02:36 AM.

#14 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 25 June 2018 - 03:04 AM

OK help me understand if you will; I really don't know the answer....what is inherently deficient in using two 12v AGM batteries that are NOT deep cycle batteries if the charge is correctly maintained via a solar, AC or the alternator on the vehicle?

As for weight, my 12v AGMs are no where near that weight you mentioned and my battery box in the Hawk is easily accessed [side dinette]....

My way of approaching this is if it works...stick with it...and KISS...but hey I could and may be wrong!

Deep cycle batteries should last longer than non deep cycle batteries.  It depends on how the batteries are used, how well controlled the charge cycle is, how often and how long they are left undercharged (less than 100%), . . . 

As to weight, deep cycle batteries have thick plates with lots of lead; thats what makes them heavy.  About 65 lbs per 12V, 100AH of battery(s).  A lot of 12V marine batteries are mislabeled 'deep cycle'.  At 69 Y.O. I struggle with lifting my golf cart batteries into their nest in the front corner of the camper (under the bed).

Lots of guys use non deep cycle 12V batteries in their campers with no problems, you will just have to replace them sooner.  No wrong answer, just tradeoffs.

You are correct:  two 12V, 100AH batteries in parallel = two 6V, 200AH batteries in series.

jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#15 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 25 June 2018 - 02:07 PM

Deep cycle batteries should last longer than non deep cycle batteries.  It depends on how the batteries are used, how well controlled the charge cycle is, how often and how long they are left undercharged (less than 100%), . . . 

As to weight, deep cycle batteries have thick plates with lots of lead; thats what makes them heavy.  About 65 lbs per 12V, 100AH of battery(s).  A lot of 12V marine batteries are mislabeled 'deep cycle'.  At 69 Y.O. I struggle with lifting my golf cart batteries into their nest in the front corner of the camper (under the bed).

Lots of guys use non deep cycle 12V batteries in their campers with no problems, you will just have to replace them sooner.  No wrong answer, just tradeoffs.

You are correct:  two 12V, 100AH batteries in parallel = two 6V, 200AH batteries in series.

jim

Thanks...understood.

Phil

#16 Desert Scruff

Desert Scruff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 02:01 AM

I got the batteries load tested today and both failed--after less than two years. They are being replaced under warranty. One battery failed quicker than the other, 4 minutes versus 13 minutes. The battery guy thought most likely one battery was weak at the start and pulled the other battery down. 

#17 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 28 June 2018 - 03:17 AM

hmmm ... that's the second time I have heard this story recently.  ZAMP controller in both cases.

#18 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:28 AM

hmmm ... that's the second time I have heard this story recently.  ZAMP controller in both cases.

I will bite...how does having a Zamp controller kill a battery or batteries?

Phil

#19 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 28 June 2018 - 04:30 AM

seems to be overcharging them.  

#20 Bigfoot Dave

Bigfoot Dave

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 07:30 PM

Check out Handy Bob Solar. All controllers are not equal nor are all wires sized properly. It's quite a read but also an education. Happy camping, Bigfoot Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users