109 replies to this topic

#21 0976claxton

0976claxton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, California

Posted 09 July 2018 - 08:07 PM

Just experienced a similar situation last weekend while in the White Mountains.  Voltage (as measured on my Morningstar PM 15) dropped rapidly from 12.6 volts to 11.x within one hours, causing the low voltage alarm on my propane sensor to go bonkers just as the toddler and wife fell asleep.  Ended up shutting down everything, and replacing my batteries the next day in Bishop.  The original batteries were only 2.5 years old, but were some cheap sealed acid batteries from BatteryPlus. I didn't bother to have them stress tested before replacing.  I assumed they were the issue and just ended up replacing them with two bluetop Optimas .  It was a bit of a knee jerk reaction.  Spend more money, and the problem should go away, right?  What I'm curious about is the bulk load comment.  My controller previously showed over 14 amps going to my batteries in good sunny conditions (180w grape solar on top).  Am I safe to say that this is an overcharging issue?  Shouldn't the controller hold the charge at 12.6 or so?   

As for the fan, I'll search this forum some more for the information, but while I'm at it here:  what fan are you guys going with?  Seems like some good circulation in the fridge would help with efficiency at some scale.  Last weekend was extremely hot outside, so I'm not sure it would have helped in this case as the fridge was working overtime to keep my beer cold. 

Edited by 0976claxton, 09 July 2018 - 08:08 PM.

#22 Desert Scruff

Desert Scruff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:10 PM

A Valtera Fridge Cool Fan is what I got and a couple of tests I've run shows it's keeping the fridge shelves the same temperature. There are others here who have more experience with the fan than I. It's cheaply made and Amazon says it's unavailable. There is a second Valtera fan that gets a little better reviews. 

#23 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:31 PM

14 Volts or 14 Amps going into your battery with full sun?  Either would be OK during bulk charge, but 14V is too high for a float charge voltage and could explain your short life.  

Just experienced a similar situation last weekend while in the White Mountains.  Voltage (as measured on my Morningstar PM 15) dropped rapidly from 12.6 volts to 11.x within one hours, causing the low voltage alarm on my propane sensor to go bonkers just as the toddler and wife fell asleep.  Ended up shutting down everything, and replacing my batteries the next day in Bishop.  The original batteries were only 2.5 years old, but were some cheap sealed acid batteries from BatteryPlus. I didn't bother to have them stress tested before replacing.  I assumed they were the issue and just ended up replacing them with two bluetop Optimas .  It was a bit of a knee jerk reaction.  Spend more money, and the problem should go away, right?  What I'm curious about is the bulk load comment.  My controller previously showed over 14 amps going to my batteries in good sunny conditions (180w grape solar on top).  Am I safe to say that this is an overcharging issue?  Shouldn't the controller hold the charge at 12.6 or so?   

As for the fan, I'll search this forum some more for the information, but while I'm at it here:  what fan are you guys going with?  Seems like some good circulation in the fridge would help with efficiency at some scale.  Last weekend was extremely hot outside, so I'm not sure it would have helped in this case as the fridge was working overtime to keep my beer cold. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#24 ardvark

ardvark

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:42 PM

Suggest checking  charge controller voltage with a meter. Maybe it is the problem, but maybe not. 

#25 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 09 July 2018 - 09:42 PM

ditto to what rando said during bulk mode you can do LOTS of amps during float you want a very specific voltage per the specs for your new blue tops that is 13.2 to 13.8 volts

#26 0976claxton

0976claxton

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, California

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:28 PM

yes.  sorry guys, 14 volts.  thanks for the catch.  Not sure how long the bulk charge was on the old batteries though.  Going forward, i'll test the controller voltage with a multimeter and keep an eye out for the 13.2 to 13.8v charging.  

#27 dharte

dharte

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 01:08 AM

Does anyone know a better alternative to the Zamp that will mount in the same opening? I'm convinced my batteries are being overcharged-I can hear them gurgling and my propane/CO detector continues to randomly go off in the middle of the day when the panel is getting the most sun.

#28 rando

rando

• Members
  • 1,638 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:59 AM

That sure sounds like it is boiling your batteries.  

The Victron offerings are a much better option - but are a completely different form factor.  The only other reputable option I am aware of that is a similar form factor (but likely different dimensions) are from bluesky: http://www.blueskyenergyinc.com/

I wonder if you could make a trim panel to fill the Zamp hole then mount the Victron gauges in the trim panel. 

2016 Fleet Flatbed

2016 Toyota Tacoma

#29 dharte

dharte

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:40 AM

That sure sounds like it is boiling your batteries.

The Victron offerings are a much better option - but are a completely different form factor. The only other reputable option I am aware of that is a similar form factor (but likely different dimensions) are from bluesky: http://www.blueskyenergyinc.com/

I wonder if you could make a trim panel to fill the Zamp hole then mount the Victron gauges in the trim panel.

I could easily make a trim panel, but I was looking on-line at the Victron, and it appears the wires attach to the front of the panel-this would be a real eyesore inside the camper.

#30 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 10 July 2018 - 04:53 AM

hide the controller wherever and put the companion guages out where you can see them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users