30 replies to this topic

#1 Santiam Camper

Santiam Camper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationCorvallis, Oregon

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:17 PM

I have read the section in my manual and searched as many posts as I could find, but still am not clear on how to add a portable solar paned to my 2017 Fleet. It has the standard connection at the rear of the camper.  

My primary question is can I just purchase a portable panel and plug it into the provided connection, or do I have to do some wiring?

Do I need to purchase a panel with a controller, or does it use the existing controller?

Any recommendations on good panel to consider?

Thanks for your advice.

Mike Madden 

Mike Madden

2017 Nissan Frontier

2017 Fleet

#2 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:40 PM

If you have a solar plug it should be wired unless it is a shell. You will need to speak with FWC. What year is your camper? Is it a shell or standard build? You will need to have the solar panel with controller on the back. There has been several conversations about the wires being reversed on the panel end, meaning the red is the ground and black power so you will need to test them. What kind of battery(s) do you have. You will need to provide more information.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Wander The West mobile app

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#3 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 28 June 2018 - 08:43 PM

Howdy Mike - there are two options, as you described.  1.  A panel with a controller or 2.  A panel and a separate controller.  I think you'll find that most folks here install a separate controller because it gives you more options for integrating more panels.

Given you referenced the provided connection, I suspect that you have a camper that is wired for solar.

In the post below, I described how I installed the controller.  When following the methods I described, you will make the roof and rear solar plugs viable.  

http://www.wanderthe...wk/#entry192902

2019 Silverado 2500HD, 2017 Hawk

#4 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 04:29 AM

Does your Fleet already have the FWC solar package which (in our 2016 Grandby) included a 30 amp Zamp solar controller?  If so, the aux solar plug on the back of the camper is wired into the Zamp controller and does not require a panel with a controller mounted on it.  If you don't already have a solar controller you will need to add one.  It is better to have the controller closer to the battery than the solar panel, so a separate controller is the better way to go.  I actually use a Renogy 100 watt folding panel that I removed the controller from and use it attatched to a battery box in my VW camper.   I use it without the controller as the aux panel for my FWC.  

Edited by camper rich, 29 June 2018 - 04:30 AM.

#5 Santiam Camper

Santiam Camper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 05:34 PM

I have a 2017 Fleet.  It's not a shell.  I do have the Zamp solar controller installed.

Mike Madden

2017 Nissan Frontier

2017 Fleet

#6 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 29 June 2018 - 06:07 PM

I do have the Zamp solar controller installed.

This is very important.  Thus, you do not have to install a controller nor do you need a panel with a controller.  The simplest thing for you to do is to purchase a Zamp panel.  As described in other posts, the polarity in the Zamp controller is reversed from other manufacturers.  So, if you get a Renogy or something else, you'll have to be aware of the polarity and reverse the connection.

Karlton

#7 Santiam Camper

Santiam Camper

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 10:59 PM

I am looking to purchase a 120 watt portable solar panel for use with my 2017 Fleet.  I want to buy a solar panel without a controller, but with a cable to attach to the factory installed plug on the rear of the camper.

It would be simplest to get one from Zamp, but they have to be custom made to not include a controller.  Plus, I would like to get something a bit less expensive since I will be using it only on those times I cant get good un exposure on my rooftop panel.

Do you guys have any recommendations on brands to look at?

Thanks

Mike 

Mike Madden

2017 Nissan Frontier

2017 Fleet

#8 Karlton

Karlton

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationSouthern Idaho

Posted 04 July 2018 - 02:40 PM

Mike - I have a Renogy panel, and it performs well.  I think that you can wind up paying a lot for portable solar, especially the kind that roll up.  I recall that someone posted they got 60W for $600.  That is way too expensive.

Is this the type of panel you are looking for?  It is rigid, but folds up and does not have a controller.

https://www.renogy.c...w-o-controller/

One important thing to note is that the polarity of the wiring from the Zamp plug will be reversed from the wiring from other manufactures.  In other words, the positive wire on the Renogy panel will connect to the negative plug on the Zamp port.  Further, if you get a Renogy (or likely other manufacturer), you'll need an adaptor to for the wires on the panel.  A simple fix would be to snip the connector wire and simply switch the wires so that the positive wire plugs into the positive port.  

Not having a Zamp panel will introduce a few more steps.  Check out this post.

http://www.wanderthe...olar-connector/

So, here is a summary...

Find portable solar panel without controller

Determine what connector is needed to attach panel to Zamp plug

Check polarity and change if needed 

#9 deezlgeezr

deezlgeezr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 August 2018 - 07:29 PM

I'm in the market for a foldable portable 100-watt (or so) solar array that I can plug into the back of my FWC (Zamp 160W on the roof, Zamp 30A controller, 2x AGM batts). I've narrowed it down to these two, in order of my preference:

1.  https://www.amazon.c...1_t1_B01M8LCDN2

2.  https://www.amazon.c...n 100w foldable

Both will plug into the FWC's Zamp rear SAE plug (I'll have to get or make the reverse-polarity adapter) and will be used W/O their included charge controllers, allowing the Zamp 30A to handle the battery charging. The controller would obviously be needed for other charging applications outside the FWC. 

Can anyone advise me on their opinions of this plan, or; comment on the above listed selections?

I've chosen the 'foldable' type array over a 'flexible panel' (which would be substantially less expensive) for the storage consideration, pretty important in a FWC.  :D

Update: I've changed my first choice due to some additional research. 

Edited by deezlgeezr, 27 August 2018 - 01:39 AM.

2016 Ram 2500 4X4 Laramie CC SB AT 6.7L Cummins

2017 Hawk Silver Spur Front Dinette 

#10 kluber

kluber

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 August 2018 - 07:42 PM

Santiam,

I have a 2015 fleet with the Zamp factory solar.  I've added an auxiliary panel and it works great to keep the batteries fully charged when shade's an issue.  It's very easy to do:

1.  We used a soft panel - it's much lighter and easier to store in the camper.  https://www.amazon.c...1?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2.  We also got extension cables so that we could move the panel into the sun.  https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3.  As mentioned above, we had to reverse the polarity of the auxiliary panel input.  I simply cut the extension cables and reversed them using large wire nuts.

I hope that helps.  Lemme know if you have any other questions.

K

It's just better out there :D 
2015 Fleet Rollover Couch
2017 Taco TRD Off Road

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users