• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#11 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 07 July 2018 - 06:33 AM

I recently removed the Surepower 1202 battery separator the previous owner installed in my truck and replaced it with an ML-ACR with remote switch located in the dash of my truck. 

I have a NAPA 1250 cca FLA in my truck.  I have two Lifeline 6v AGM deep cycle batteries in the camper which are typically well maintained with my solar panels and Victron charge controller.  The camper batteries are monitored with a Victron 702.

I will next be adding a battery monitor to the truck battery so I can determine its state of charge. 

I intend to only enable the ML-ACR when it is needed rather than leave it in an automatic mode 

but I'm still not certain how I will wind up using this total system.  Once I get some actual use with all of this working together and with the data from the battery monitor on the truck as well as the camper batteries I think it will become clearer.

Edited by ckent323, 07 July 2018 - 06:36 AM.

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#12 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 07 July 2018 - 02:17 PM

I've always been leery of manual over-rides. Sure as shoot I'll get too wrapped up in where we are and leave it in the wrong position at the least opportune time.

The current going to the starting battery(ies) wouldn't bother me so long as I knew that the solar system could more than keep up and that the charging voltage wasn't damaging either battery bank.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#13 Desert Scruff

Desert Scruff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 04:13 PM

I have the Blue Sea ACR 7611 and there are times I want all the solar charge to go to the two camper batteries. The Isotherm fridge alone can use more than 40 Ah in 24 hours. If I pull the grounding wire from the ACR box the ACR light goes out and I assume it is shut down, not allowing current to flow in either direction. Do I have that right?

#14 Desert Scruff

Desert Scruff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 05:52 PM

My question above should have been, with the ACR not functioning is the current blocked or can it flow freely?

#15 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:58 PM

http://assets.bluese...s/980011740.pdf

Looks like you could test that easy with a volt meter. If the fuse is pulled check the voltage on either side of the blue seas unit. With engine off it should be different as you would be seeing voltage at each separate battery bank. Start the engine and test with volt meter you should see the engine alternator 14 volt something and truck side of the separator be higher. If the led light comes on then the battery banks would be combined. With the fuse pulled the unit should not combine battery banks. Let truck run for a while as it may not combine for a set period of time. You should still see a difference in volts on each leg of the separator.

Turn truck off and put the fuse back in and repeate the above.

The blue seas unit is just a battery separator that has a brain and connects banks of batteries together when needed. Get yourself a volt meter and then you can test and understand what is going on.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#16 Desert Scruff

Desert Scruff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 07:18 PM

Thanks, pvstoy, I have the meter and will do as you suggest.

#17 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:35 PM

There should be a breaker or a fuse at both ends of the wire between the camper battery(ies) and the starting battery(ies). Breakers with manual resets are easy, I just pop the one at the starting battery(ies) and then it doesn't matter what the ACR/VSR does.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#18 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 09 July 2018 - 12:42 AM

Very good point that there should be breakers/fuse in the system and that would be the easy way to separate battery banks.  If he wanted to find out what the ground wire does on the blue Seas 7611 then he should use a volt meter.  He can decide if taking on the responsibility of placing a switch on the ground wire and remembering that it is now a manual thing has to remember to do.

I've always been leery of manual over-rides. Sure as shoot I'll get too wrapped up in where we are and leave it in the wrong position at the least opportune time.

The current going to the starting battery(ies) wouldn't bother me so long as I knew that the solar system could more than keep up and that the charging voltage wasn't damaging either battery bank.

I agree with you Thom on your earlier statement about manual overrides.  If somebody else uses your rig then how is they to know what to do?    Yeah... Never push that RED button!!!

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#19 Desert Scruff

Desert Scruff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:03 AM

Disconnecting the ACR ground does shut down the VCR (its green light goes out, indicating the batteries are no longer connected) and the voltage meter confirms this. 

I'm not overly impressed with the FWC wiring and what FWC has told me about the wiring isn't the way it was done. The wiring running from the truck battery to the camper has no fuse on the truck end and I find no fuse or breaker on the camper side. The 8 gauge wire running to the camper batteries from the VCR has no breaker or fuse that I see. 

#20 Desert Scruff

Desert Scruff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 02:15 AM

Hold on. Maybe there is a fuse on the truck side. I'll check further tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users